Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car builder Spotlight: AYALA BROTHERS

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Man I hope you are right. I would love to see some build pictures from that shop.

2. Rikster

Rikster

The Rodder's Journal announced a future article on Bob Lomax and his 1953 Chevy that was built by the Ayala's in their email newsletter. I know its not in the next issue #57, but hopefully it will be in #58.
    TRJ anual poster has this great black and white photo of Bob's Chevy on one side, and the future article will have a lot more of Bob's material in and around the Ayala shop... at least thats how it looks judging from the newsletter... I cannot wait.

[​IMG]

The newsletter also included this really great color photo of Bob's Chevy in its first version.

[​IMG]

justntime likes this.
  3. That looks looks like it will be a great feature but I would love to know who will be writing it.We all remember the last "Ayala" built Buick they ran in there magazine.Well at least we will see some mention of Gil & Al and also some great pictures.

4. ^^ This is a nice lookin Chevy and I hope we get to see some pictures with the top off.I dig the hubcaps and the tailights.The car looks very familiar but I can't place it.Well im glad the TRJ will be showing us another old custom.I wonder if this car is still around somewhere?

5. Rikster

Rikster

Gary Emory has been sharing some really interesting photos with the Custom Car Photo Archive for some time now. Yesterday he emailed me a new batch with again some amazing photos.

Here is one that shows Gil Ayala's 1942-46 Ford coupe in its first version at Gil's Auto Body Works shop (Ayala shop). On the right we can see the bottom "Works" section of the tall Auto Body Works sign, as well as Gil's Du Pond dealer sign. The car is still painted bronze here and still has the 1948 Ford bumpers. Later Gill updated the car with the Plymouth bumpers and repainted it dark blue. I don't know who the guy is standing next to Gil's Ford.

[​IMG]

6. Wow that is a great picture Rik!!

7. Gary thanks for sharing this pic with Rik and Rik thanks for sharing it with us.What a great picture this is and another angle of this stunning very slippery looking Custom.Those fenders are a work of art all in themselves.One of my favorite cars and another great picture.Rik how can you tell it was still bronze ? Just curious .

8. Rikster

Rikster

The gray tone in this photo tells me its not painted dark blue.
    Plus this version has the Ford bumpers, and I'm pretty sure the car changed colors when the bumpers (both front and rear) were changed. Perhaps a small accident happened and the Ford bumpers got bend and so did the splash pan or other body parts. Gill decided to repaint and update the bumpers at the same time.

9. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Amazing photo ! Thanks Rik and Gary, that car is one of my all time favorites.

10. banditomerc

banditomerc

one of My favorite Ford customs

11. Thanks Rik,I was just curious of how you see the colors in these photos.I kind of figured you were also using the bumpers as a timeline.I really cant look at this picture enough.

What is going thru my mind now is .......I want to know what speeds this car ran at the lake bed? By the looks of this car it had to be fast and knowing how legit the Ayala brothers were....we know this car had to be a screamer.
    We know the speeds of some great looking early customs.....
    Gil Ayala Merc...129mph
    Pierson Ford....116mph ( I think )
    Art Chrisman 36.... 109mph
    Creasman Coupe..... 105mph
    I know Gils 42 had to be somewhere in there and I would like to find out.

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

The cat in the photo............a young Neil Emory?

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

13. Looks like Bronze was getting painted at other shops besides the one on Atlantic.

14. This is another beauty that I know was fast.^^ I forgot what speeds it ran but it was quick.

15. 53chevy

53chevy

I still feel that there may have been two, Gil's and another. Just like Holland's and Wally's convertible Ford Custom. Regardless, this 42' Custom looks good at every angle, it is truly a masterpiece.

Ken

16. Rikster

Rikster

Here is another view of Gil's Ford parked at Gil's Auto Body works from the Gary Emory Collection. The photo was "scanned" with a digital camera and has been distorted a little.
    But still I think its a really great shot showing that Gil's Ford was not as low as a lot of todays customs. It also shows the wonderful flow on the top from front to rear.

[​IMG]

17. HOLYSHIT RIK !!!!!!!!!!!! Keep em coming ! Great picture !!!! Just fired me up bigtime !!

Cant be too low when they were racing. :)

18. banditomerc

banditomerc

this is the picture that I used to motivate my tribute to this car...by the way..the new owner has completed and will be at the GNRS SHOW IN JANUARY....This car was a work of art!

19. Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

20. Wow another great picture Rik! Love the Ayala style.

21. I really wish someone had a color version of this.I would love to see the true color of this beauty.

22. Rikster

Rikster

This is the last of the three photos Gary Emory shred with me of Gil's 1942-46 Ford Coupe. This photo was also taken at Gil's Auto Body works at East Olympic Blvd. in Los Angeles.

[​IMG]

23. ^^^ Yes !!! I was hoping to see another picture of that car.Rik what do you think that dark color really was .The one that I just posted from the indoor carshow.Im getting a little rusty but im not remembering exactly which show that picture was taken.I know there was talk of it being a dark blue.

24. Rikster

Rikster

I think the photo at the indoor show was taken at the 1952 Hot Rod and Motor Sports Show held in Los Angeles National Guard Armory. This is the same show as where the Barris built Cadillac was a give away price.

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Ha! I was at that show; I remember the giveaway Cadillac. It was pictured on the cover of the program.

26. Wow !!! I know its a longshot but do you remember anything about that Ayala beauty.Maybe color ?

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No, sorry. I was twelve years old, and I saw a lot of car shows in that period. There are only a handful of cars that I remember clearly, and the Ayala Ford isn't one of them.

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Even if someone had a colour photo of this vehicle it probably wouldn't be a true read for the exact colour:( Photos are coloured in dyes, not paint pigments, and there's a big difference between the two as far as colour accuracy goes;) The nitrocellulose lacquer Ayala shot, cut and buffed this vehicle in would look nothing like the photo when viewed in natural daylight:eek: Too, todays overcleared urethane finishes, so often used on ''kustoms'' don't look anything like a nitrocellulose lacquer job when seen side by each:rolleyes:

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

29. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Hey PP, are you from Milwaukee "when seen side by each" I haven't heard that from anyone that isn't from the south side of Milwaukee.

B[​IMG]B

30. Well thats interesting you say that cause I have often said that I think there is a lot of modern day paintjobs that are getting too glossy.I know that doesn't sound right but maybe too shiney sounds better.I think that some of these paint jobs outshine the chrome and im not really into that.Don't get me wrong....they are gorgeous paintjobs but I feel they are a little different then they used to be like the old jobs you are talking about.Overcleared is more like it.Well it sounds like we may need to talk about some paint :).