Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Channelled Hot Rods Pic Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dreddybear, Sep 21, 2012.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW!!!! More on this car?? Anyone??

[​IMG]

2. imanut

imanut

Lurk king, did you just find pictures of the orange rig on line or do you know the guy? My buddy had that car in Rhode Island a LONG time ago. See the picture below.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

I think I know that car from the 1960s?? Past owners from RI and Mass puts it in contention...

Looks like a GTO tripower motor to me.

What do you know about it's history before RI? The car I am recalling was built in Tolland, Ct, maybe around 67-68. The guy who's name I won't put on here for privacy issues, worked at a late model wrecking yard in the same town. He purchased the "drivetrain from a wrecked tripower GTO" from his workplace. The body was supposed to be a 32 Pontiac. I recall it was bright red in the late 60s when I saw it on the road.

The builder is still alive and still local. I don't know him, but a friend of mine does.

EDIT; I am really thinking this must be the car I recall.

There were 2 coupes (other was a 33 chevy 3w) being built at the same time by two guys of the same age. They must have known each other, as they lived 4 miles apart in the same town. I was friends with the younger brother of the Chevy coupe builder.

We had strict fender laws then and nobody could get a car through CT inspection without fenders. The 33 Chevy was channeled, but unchopped, but ran the exact same fenders as the Pontiac shown in the hamb pics. Flat steel rears, with spare tire bands cut up for fronts. The other thing, is that the 33 Chevy used a T radiator shell, and although I don't recall what the Pontiac had, I would not be surprized if they swapped ideas on the two builds.

It must be the same car...I will try to see if I can get word to the original builder of the pontiac. Might have been built earlier, like maybe 66 or even 65. I think the donor GTO was close to new when wrecked.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

This is a car built in Vancouver by Cal Morrow in the mid-fifties. It ended up in Victoria shortly after that time, and was rebuilt into a full-fendered car in the mid-eighties. Check out the November 1958 issue of HotRod magazine for a feature. It was also in Rod & Custom in 1955, and Car Craft in 1962.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

OK, I see what threw me off the track. I have the R&C article on Cals car had the pipes exiting through the body, but if I read the caption, that was changed later.

Attached Files:

• pg2.jpg
      pg2.jpg
      File size:
      446.9 KB
      Views:
  6. X2 soooooo cool!:eek:

7. In my first car magazine, Rodding and Restyling in 1960, everything was channeled. I just thought that's how hot rods were built

8. oldschool55

oldschool55

Here's one, channelled but with full fenders. Built in the late '50's, still looks the same today.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  9. That profile shot is outstanding! Love that hot rod.

10. F&J

F&J

That's what was reality in my area...channeled or full fenders. I never saw even one highboy, and never saw a primered car. Hotrods and customs had color, :cool: ..and...nd I don't recall any black ones except one full fender 33 Ply coupe..but at least it was laquer;)

Check out this pic I grabbed from the '60 showcar pic thread...geez.. teleport me to "back then".

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It is...

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, THATS a hot rod alright. I have a '57 ford steering wheel out in the shop, just waiting...

13. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Digging that glass/plexi roof insert.

Stogy likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was digging that too. Would love to see more pics of this car.

15. F&J

F&J

Someone just posted the info on that car in the 60's car show thread:

16. fenderlessA

fenderlessA
    from canada

11" channel, don't have any history on this car. Was bought from NY state. Has narrow tube axle Gm drum brakes in front, 9" rear. 283 cu in. And a power glide. Rear deck lid was moulded with VW beetle tail lights. Approx 6" was non existent on bottom rear of body. Went through yellow, green, blue, and probably 200 lbs of bondo while stripping it.since this pic full 1/4's, firewall and all lower patches replaced. Would like to know more history on car if anyone recognizes it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  17. Lurk king

Lurk king

Here are a few shots I found of the green 5 window that F&J posted. I know it was featured in "Rod and Kulture" a year or two ago but I have no idea what issue, I have it somewhere but it's buried somewhere in my storage with all the other stuff I can't seem to be able to throw away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    WC145, EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^NICE! Love the textured aluminum firewall as well. Shades of the Ala Kart!

19. RDR

RDR

Portland,OR 1950

Attached Files:

EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  20. blackout

blackout

21. blackout

blackout

22. Mooseman

Mooseman

I really feel honoured by the fact that when my car is built I will be able to post a pic of it in this thread.

Stogy likes this.
  23. A great channelled 5 window. This could easily have been a shot from the 60s.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This is probably one of my favorite hot rods. Al Subrzycki Model A. From the April '59 Car Craft. Alot of details on this car inspired some of the stuff I'm doing on my current car. Channeled 7" frame swept in the front....of course they never did that back in the day :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WC145, EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats nice. Love those fenders, wonder what they are from?

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...just can't get over the badass-yness of this 5 window.
    ...and it runs SLOTS! :D

I think I need a cigarette....it was good for ME! :eek: LoL

WC145 and Stogy like this.
  27. wth? I feel young everytime I drive a Roadster

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    WC145 and EVL401 like this.
  28. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

Alberta hot rod from 50 years ago, to this day I still think it's one of the best vehicles from our area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WC145 and Stogy like this.
  29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is a cool A coupe! Any idea where it is now?

30. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

lots of great pic! subscribe