Register now to get rid of these ads!

Satans Angels...The Early Years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C RON, May 19, 2011.

1. Fenders

Fenders

Yah right... " Many of the cars were award winners and featured in the custom car magazines of the day. The builder of choice for these guys was local customizer Joe Bailon..."

Looks like a lot of late model customs for the time, and they didn't do their own work?

Where are the hot rods ??

2. M.Edell

M.Edell

There were Hot Rods in the club, but the club has always been more of a Kustom oriented club.And there were many members who did their own work and modifications to their cars.Not everyone has all the skills to build a car all by themselves..Customizing was always about updating and restyling and being different, hence the word "Custom"

3. TomWar

TomWar

Peterson Auto Wreckers reminds me of Alan Cardoza, A Good Guy.
    in the 50's "Satans Angels" were all Customs, Hot rods were in the "Hayward Rod Benders".

4. I'm not quite sure what point he was trying to make.:confused:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  5. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yeah Im with you.Sounded like jealousy and hatin' to me...but anyways..Thats not a bad thing..it means you're doing something right when you get the haters...;)

6. How many of the original cars from the 50's are still around?

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

That's actually a great question. I'm not really sure to be honest with you. Livingston's Chevy he has now is a recreation of his Award winning Kustom from the 50's.Im sure they are out there somewhere.

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic club & history. Thanks Ron for sharing. And congrats Marcus on joining!

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks..Honored to be a member of this club.Love every single guy in it too, great people, lots of fun.

10. Travelin_man

Travelin_man
    from Finland

Thanks for sharing pics everybody, very interesting to take a look at these cars and their history. I appreciate your work! Makes me wonder where are all the original 50s cars. Sure they are somewhere outta here.

- Ray

11. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

ive been freinds with a couple of these guys a long time now.....much love to the club and alot of respect.....awsome freinds to have

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Right on man.Thanks for the kind words.:cool:

13. Fenders

Fenders

No, I don't hate the cars, they are nice customs. But my point was, it sounded like they were a bunch of buyers instead of builders, paying Baillon to do the work.

I don't care if you can do professional work, I'd rather you grab a wrench than your wallet.

And I wondered where the hot rods were, if any in the club....

14. richie rebel

richie rebel

yea man,some badass customs from back in the day,thanks for sharing,loved it.......

15. R&C RON

R&C RON

The only car from the early photos that I know still exists is the Sonny Morris Merc. It is somewhere back east and seems to show up at some of the eastern shows. Franks chevy is a re-creation and I do know Ted Leventhal is re-creating his green chevy , as for the other cars , they seem to have vanished.

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

You're entitled to your opinion of course.These were kids, not Mid Life crisis millionaires, so they didnt have a lot of money.Bailon contributed and helped more than he charged.It was good for business since most of these cars ended up in magazines and showing at the Oakland Roadster Show..sorta win win for both parties.

17. TomWar

TomWar

In the 50,s the auto shop at Hayward High was pretty active. Most of the guys that I knew did their own work as much as possible.

18. R&C RON

R&C RON

I thought it would be cool to update this thread with some recent photos from the club. The photos of members cars were taken at the Style Kings show , and the member photos were from a meeting and b.b.q..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. M.Edell

M.Edell

Excellent Pics Ron..see ya tomorrow!

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

That rocks Ron!!! Your garage is so cool, great cars and your lil custom looks as good as ever. That show is on my bucket list...

21. Thanks so much for posting the "now" pics of the cars and the owners. Great to see that so many of both are still around. What a fabulous thread this has turned out to be.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely cool.

23. R&C RON

R&C RON

I thought I would bring this to the top by posting a photo I just got. Frank Livingston gave me this Colorized Version of the Iconic 1957 club photo. I thought it was pretty cool!

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Very Kool! Thanks for posting it, Ron.

25. M.Edell

M.Edell

Excellent Ron.

26. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Bitchen . we should try to recreate that shot with the current members

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

27. R&C RON

R&C RON

Time for an update. Last weekend the club was invited to attend the Sacramento Autorama. After a couple of months of planning and preparation, we arrived with 14 cars and a club display with Photos and memorabilia. A good time was had by all!

[​IMG]
    Group photo upon arrival.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the show

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa429/40ragron/file-1426.jpg[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The club on stage giving our award.
    [​IMG]

Headed home……yes we drive em'
    [​IMG]

28. M.Edell

M.Edell

You beat me to it Ron! Excellent!

29. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Thanks for posting this up, Ron! Truly a great weekend

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn nice cars. Nice to see them being driven. Wish our weather was that nice this time of year (it was -5 at 7am this morning and still lots of snow everywhere :( ) .