Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Updated project...ugly bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Dec 24, 2012.

1. powmia

powmia

I've been able to finally get some time to get the ugly bucket close to finished! Check out the pics and let me know what you think or tell me if I've done anything horribly wrong...its my first build.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Just remember have about four guys stand on it and see if your transmission is going plow dirt. That will give you an idea of down force when you hit a dip.....$.02

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

How much clearance is under the trans ,the trans crossmember , and the oil pan ?

Don

5. powmia

powmia

about 5"...that is the one big thing Im thinking I'll have to fix before driving it. I wanted the motor as low as possible and I think I went a little too low.

6. daddio211

daddio211

I agree with the previous responses, your oil & trans pans are way too low. I dig the "laid out" look but you're asking for trouble.

Raise your engine and trans mounts 3" or so or you'll soon regret it!

7. powmia

powmia

I figured that would be thing that got pointed out...thats what I get for welding my mounts up before having the suspension done. For some reason the plans I had in my head showed the suspension height a little higher. Anything else? Fortunately Ive got the next week off work to take care of the big stuff.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Only other thing I see that concerns me is the rear suspension. Do you think you will need a panhard ?

Don

9. RichG

RichG

Just out of curiosity, are you going to get rid of the wheelwell recesses?

10. powmia

powmia

Oh yeah, without a doubt. Once I get that smoothed out I think it will look pretty slick. Actually working on the panel now. Then the plan is for a brushed black paint job with a copper firewall.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You think outside the box!
    Looks good.
    I like the way you tucked your rear suspension so tight. Interesting...

What exactly is the body made from, parts wise???

12. powmia

powmia

I wish I could answer that, its obviously a model A cowl and dash, but your guess is as good as mine. I was told it used to be a modified slash dirt track racer in the 70s. Someone on here sounded pretty sure that the back half is an early Dodge. Filling the wheel well is going to be pretty easy. Once that gets done I think it will be a really neat twist on a T-bucket and a Model A.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least your wheel chock is traditional!:D

14. powmia

powmia

I was waiting for one of those responses...thanks for the input.

15. I like that you have an inline 6 instead of the typical 350 Chevy SB V8. Keep it interesting :D

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I think I like it even more now! :cool::cool::D

17. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Hey POWMIA, Looks great so far, I'll put up some pictues of my modified. It's similar to yours. The question about the panhard rod, In my opinion, you won't need one because the springs take up the lateral movement. Your upper links also are triangulated which cuts down on lateral movement as well. My set doesn't have a panhard rod. It has a thrid link that runs up to the transmission like a late model camaro. It rides like a cadillac, a short, light, solidly mounted motor cadillac. I'll also post a picture of how I filled in my wheel wells. I filled mine in. I like it, it looks kind of like a comp coup dragster. I second the question about ground clearance. Have some dudes stand on the frame to see how ride height will change in a bump. Looks great. Good luck, subscribed.
    Merry Christmas,
    Danny

18. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Whoops pics fell off. Well now I can't post pics! Soo as soon as I can I'll post some pics

19. Im diggin it, looks like good start.

20. myktrans

myktrans

i love the quarter eliptical suspension setup!!! only thing i would like to help you think about is since you are using the 1/4 leafs as lower control arms, it is gonna cause them to want to roll under, during hard acceleration causing the rear end to want to wrap up. prolly gonna eat rear ujoints unless you take it pretty easy on it. i love the direction and the thinking you are going with on this!!!

21. powmia

powmia

Yeah I've already made some shackles for the rear after doing some research on here. The best thing about the setup is I only have about 150 bucks in it. They are trailer leads I cut in half and got them from tractor supply co. For 15 bucks a piece...same dimensions and rating as the 100 dollar speedway springs!

22. wayfarer

wayfarer

With the streets in Spokane, you are definitely going to have to raise the engine and tranny.

23. It also looks like the Q/E's will want to wrap up on acceleration. I have seen quarter-elliptical set up on shackles with two more bars, to keep wheelbase, pinion angle and wrap up in check...

I dig the suspension set-up so far, and am doing something quite similar for a pickup I want to build. :)

Edit...DAMN! I type slow!

24. myktrans

myktrans

thats good to know! i've been wanting to do a 1/4 elipitcal setup on something soon.

25. A Boner

A Boner

With fluids, 2 people, and some time for the springs to settle......not much.

26. I think it would look better with the body parallel to the frame. I agree with the panhard bar The rearend has to be able to rotate in a vertical plane perpendicular to the frame rails

27. powmia

powmia

I was always under the impression that with a triangulated rear there is no need for a panhard. But its my first build. The body will more than likely be parallel at most an inch lower in front. It's just sitting on top of the frame for now.

28. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Here's my pics (I think)

Attached Files:

29. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Here is some more. My engine sits pretty high. Over all the car sits below hip hight. Good going from another Militant Modified guy!

Attached Files:

30. powmia

powmia

Awesome pics. Those really helped.
    I like the mounts at the bellhousing. Thanks. Did you make the filler panels yourself. Looks a lot like mine. Mine will need a little more curve throughout the length of the panel though.