Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods keep model cars alive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheAlabamaKid, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Just bought the Olds. Amazed at what has happened to prices, but I haven't bought a model in years.

2. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

the prices of kits are like everything else they keep going through the roof due to Inflation.I been Into the hobby lil over 30 years and It's kinda florring how they keep jumping.but the main Ingredient In styrene Is oil.

and to those who love my willys thanks

3. JMel

JMel

Has anybody ever come across a 26/27 Turtle Deck T model? I've been looking for one since I started building my car 2 years ago.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I dont build many like I used to due to the cost of a kit but have started restoring the models I built years ago,I am going to buy the 50 Olds and 57 ford 2 door sedan. I am now working on a couple that I got off a friend a few years ago.

5. Tcab

Tcab

Here are some pictures of the Ritz Fab shop. Most allthe items are scratch built. Enjoy Merry Christmas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

It`s really cool to see these kits built after all years! I just bought Round 2 release of AMT `62 Thunderbird. Hopefully kids find this hobby since all those computergame things really isn`t educational...

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

ooh, that 1950 Olds model looks pretty cool.. might have to get one.

8. Thumper

Thumper

We are doing our best to keep 'em alive...:D

Attached Files:

9. Deuces

Deuces

It that the Minicraft 1/16 scale pickup???...
    If it is, then I have one also.. along the '31 model a roadster... :)

10. Deuces

Deuces

I did the same when I used to deliver the Detroit News in the early '70's... Fun times back then....;)

11. Thumper

Thumper

Deuces, it's the Lindberg/AMT kit. :)

12. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I like this one... Great Job... looks almost real...

I quit building, because of Guys like you all that take to a whole other level.. it amazes me how detailed you all have got with these cars...

Great Job every one.. I built my fair share of kits and at at one point had two bedrooms full of Unbuilts from the 60s and 70s.. they all got dispersed amongst younger kids ..

13. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Finished a few this year- here are my favorites. You might pick up on the fact I have a thing for Step Down Hudsons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. fat141

fat141

Blown away by your weathering, thank you.
    Now, off to the MODEL CAR SUNDAY weekly thread, see ya there
    rod

15. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

Here are some of my older (HAMBer friendly) models...

Rollin rice bowl

[​IMG]

Merc

[​IMG]

a finnish stock car Ford

[​IMG]

rod

[​IMG]

another rod

[​IMG]

40 ford

[​IMG]

cord coupe (unfinished)

[​IMG]

C-cab

[​IMG]

T

[​IMG]

another T

[​IMG]

16. 2002p51

2002p51

eBay is your friend for this. There are lots of them available there. Revell also did a K.S. Pittman version and the black SWC car, the plastic in the box is the same for all of them so buy any one of them.

17. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

What a great thread.....Keep um coming and ever stop building.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. boldventure

boldventure

Heres a link you might like: http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/index.html
    There are several scale machine shops on this site.
    :cool:Your work is pretty cool too!

19. boldventure

boldventure

200 2p 51 Check the model cars magazines. I'm not sure which one but there was an article about using a food dehydrator to force dry paint. :cool:

20. Jon being Jon

Jon being Jon

I used to build until a year ago, hope to start up again.

[​IMG]

21. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I think that somewhere in my mess of leftovers and attic stored models I have one or two turtle deck T's. I'm not sure. I'm thinking it may be time to dig them all out and maybe offer them up. If I do so, and find anything turtle deck I will let you know.

22. sub006

sub006

I looked at some reissued classic 1/25 kits in a hobby shop last week, and they were $20-$25 each! Kinda doubt many 12 year olds will mess with them any more.

Anybody have knowledge on the National Model Car Museum? It was in Salt Lake City a few years ago. The prize exhibit was supposed to be a huge re-creation of the 1964 Oakland Roadster Show, with all the cars duplicated and set in the same positions in the 1/25 scale hall. Supposedly there was a (Roth?) shirt-painting booth in one corner, etc.

23. 54rat210

54rat210

I grew up building model cars and now it seems they're a thing of the past. I still build though. Once my son was born I aquired my first old car. Hes been to more car shows in his 2.5 years than most people their whole lives. Oh yea! He will be working on the 54 210 and building model cars with daddy! :D

I'm gonna post some pics of my 1/24th scale rides soon.

24. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

I'm a member of UMAG which is the local model car club that sponsors the NMCBM http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/ The museum is still there and going strong, (though donations during this rough economy have been a bit tough to come by). We still have the Oakland Roadster Show diorama, the cars get switched out at regular intervals http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/Tours/VirtualTour/orsdpix/orsdpix.html

One of the most exciting aquisitions in recent history is the 1/4 scale Chevy 283 engine kit developed by Revell but never release. Four copies were produced and we managed to aquire the remnants thanks to friends of the museum show spotted and aquired such a unique peice of model car history for us. http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/Acquisitions/chevy8/chevy8.html

We also have a collection on loan of models built by Don Emmons for various publications in the 60's http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/Models/Emmons/emmons.html

We have a small space but it's literally packed with model car history. We have plans to digitize the whole collection and create a virtual museum online, but we are a small volunteer organization so it's going to be very slow going. You can imagine how long it will take to digitize thousands of items.

Visitation is by appointment only, you can find contact info on the museum website.

David