Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

2. bonesy

bonesy

Just awesome.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Interesting beast. Looks like it could qualify as one of the first slingshots as well. From the drawing it even had weed burner pipes.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bought this Mercedes photo off eBay thinking it might be the Spencer Wisehart car that ran INDY in 1911 and 1912, but don't think it is. How many has the aero nose piece? Bob

Attached Files:

5. ehdubya

ehdubya

I'm pretty certain Wishart's was a 1908 car and it's the ex DePalma 1911 37-90 Rennwagen...

"Another version of this car was raced in the 1914 Sarthe Grand Prix and came in 8th, driven by Leon Elskamp" *

Which gives the impression there were but two, the front treatment was likely done to give the made over 1908 cars a similar appearance as the 1911 production cars.

[​IMG]

*via http://wiki.mercedes-benz-classic.com/index.php/Kategorie:Mercedes-Grand-Prix-Wagen_1907-1914/en

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks ehdubya, I got to sit in the Wisehart car before it was shipped to Germany for a restoration that wasn't needed IMO. The HISSO V8 that Larry Beals installed it in the 1920's made it an early Hot Rod that I thought looked just fine. Bob

7. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Not topic,yes, but ,may I be allowed to wish you all a Merry Christmas? Santa might just have that old book or missing automobile part we all want.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Merry Christmas! Thanks to everyone who added to the general knowledge of Vintage Race Cars this year. Bob

9. noboD

noboD

Yes, Merry Christmas to all the followers of this thread. I've learned a lot from what is posted here, thank you.

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Bob....I believe that is actually Ralph Mulford behind the wheel. I have the same photo and found out that he drove the car for a while, if I remember correctly while DePalma was recovering from injuries in one of the few times that he was hurt badly in his career. It is covered in one of Helck's books.

I think they may have also shared the same Braender Tire Co. whose banner is on the cowl as a sponsor. They were from Pennsylvania?? Maybe the Philly area??? The photo is a Bain photo

You can see the same car here with the same tires when DePalma ran it in the 1914 Santa Monica Road Race

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  11. ehdubya

ehdubya

Merry Xmas. Yes Braender...

Attached Files:

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Sorry not Philly but New Jersey......

Attached Files:

13. ehdubya

ehdubya

Mulford and the E. J. Schroeder Mercedes Indy 1914

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  14. In spirit of the holidays some vintage Swedish ice racing from 1936!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Q7N955sQP4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

The exSpencer Wisehart 1908 Mercedes after the HISSO V8 was installed by Larry Beals June 7, 1924 at the Pottsville, Pa AAA event. The original photo came from Larry Beals, and he placed a note on the back listing the cars and drivers.

Attached Files:

16. Attached Files:

17. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Here is some photos of racing at the old Iron Bowl Speedway in Birmingham, Alabama sometime in the 40's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

This photo should get a thread of its own! Proof that Stock Car racing didn't limit itself to destroying only 3window coupes. Bob:D [​IMG]

19. noboD

noboD

'37, I understand what you say about leaving this car as it was. With all the documentation they should have left it alone. All it is now is JUST another '08 Mercedes.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sad thing is a noted collector who has a different Vintage Race Car at Hershey every year thought the exact same way, it was sold in a sealed bid type auction and went for 1.2 I believe. I have photos of it just before it left, really hi tech for 1908, if I ever find them I'll post them. Bob

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  21. noboD

noboD

'37, I'm thinking we should form a commitee to control all the cool cars we can't afford to own ourselves. The really rich guys would have to ask our permission before they ruin them. Sort of like the Lemon Suckers Society we already belong to?

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well, this car is certainly a "mish mash" of early stuff. Not sure what the rest of the goodies are yet, but I can tell you the frame is 1910 Cadillac "30" for sure.

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Doug

Not all of us are messing cars up:D

Merry Christmas

24. noboD

noboD

You don't need our guidance, you already have someone to keep you on the straight and narrow. Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. Bluto.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

If this is a paying job I'm in! One car on my TOP Six list is in Asia now, and will take a Lotto winning to buy. Merry Christmas everyone! Bob :)

26. noboD

noboD

I think I read on page 666 of the BroncoBamacare bill there will be funding for such a project. First roadtrip will be to Poland? And yes, I am that bored today.

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

David, excellent racing stuff you have posted this past week on The Old Motor. It brings this year to a perfect close.

Here is a recently built prewar 'Brooklands type monster' put together by Glenn Billqvist from far away Sweden. It is powered by an Isotta-Fraschini inverted 27 liter V12 from a Caproni Ca 313 sitting in a 1930 Delage D8 chassis.

Glenn is also responsible for building the 'Forgatti', a Model A Ford/ Bugatti T35 combination that was featured in HRM.
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697678

Some photos of the Special..

and a video with some fireworks perfect for some Christmas cheer.

Happy Holidays and best wishes for the New Year to you all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  28. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Merry Christmas & happy holidays! I'd like to thank all the great folks who contribute regularly to this thread, and who have so much to share. The ZigZag man is much obliged.

Here are some pics of the 1921 Frontenac team. By the way, isn't Dec 25th Mr. C's birthday?

Attached Files:

29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

In the interest of historical accuracy, this is not the "Braender Bulldog", but the E. J. Schroeder Mercedes, now fitted with the engine (and hood) of the 1913 Indy-winning Peugeot EX1 that Schroeder had bought a couple of months after its historic win. The Mercedes chassis is the same as driven by Joe Jagersberger, Ralph de Palma and Ralph Mulford before; it was a "37-90", a production racer modelled after the 1908 Grand Prix car - Wishart's was a "37-90", too, and there was at least one other "37-90" racing in America, owned by W. H. Bertrand and usually driven by George Clark. The "Braender Bulldog", on the other hand, was a Duesenberg-engined special built by Mulford. The "Braender Bulldog" Mulford/Duesenberg was later raced by Ira Vail, while Schroeder's Mercedes probably ended up with George Theobald, both racing out of Brooklyn at the time - Schroeder was from Jersey City.

30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Not only Frontenac team, since I can spot Duesenberg drivers Jimmy Murphy, Joe Thomas, Eddie Hearne and Bennie Hill amongst that lot.

And yes, it will be 134 years tomorrow since Monsieur Louis first saw the light of day! :)