Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks pretty tight fit,but also a clean.Good work!
    I noticed that you are looking for a bigger space for car building.Just one suggestion:
    Buy a tigwelder to the new place.That will change the fabricating work to the another level.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job, Eric!

3. What? Is that dust on your motor!??!?!?! :eek:

You mean you don't polish it everyday to keep it clean!?!?!

Haha, just picking on ya Eric. Looks really good!! And don't worry about the broomstick, I've seen some expensive hot rods at car shows here in the states that use broomstick handles to hold their hood up!

Blessings,
    David

4. 1959apache

1959apache

how are you going to slide those valve covers off?

looks great other than that! Keep it up dude

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob. Hope to catch up with you in a couple of months.

Thanks Finn. A tight but acceptable fit I would call it. That TIG is definitely on the list!

Thanks Rock.

6. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Nice fabrication on the inner fenders. looks awesome.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Yes David, it's dust indeed...but the engine will be cleaned before I mount it for the last time after the chassis is painted. I need to think of a way how I'm going to keep the hood open, without a broomstick.... Still got some time.:D

Thanks Scott. The inner fender it held in place by 7 bolts and can be taken off in about 5-10 minutes....not that I expect to take them off often once the car is finished.

Thanks Hogman.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This is looking better each time I see it Eric, you have put some pro's in the shade with what you have done with this.
    Regarding starting up professionally remember how tight hotrodders can be :cool:

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the kind words mate. It means a lot coming from you. Starting something professionally is still a dream of mine, which perhaps can be realized at some point in the future, but it would be more for the enjoyment and gratification rather than a money machine.

10. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

That is how it all starts Eric, with good intentions, but hot rodders can be tight with there money and cars can not build themselves. Just have to keep on keeping on and building it for the love and get good payers, happy hot rodding makes the world go round. :D You are still doing real nice work by the way. ;)

11. art.flame

art.flame

your on a roll Erik, can't wait till summer

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Ken.

Me neither Art!

13. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Great work on the inner fenders, nice attention to detail. I think the new hubcaps look a lot better too compared to the Caddy ones. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to hear that Hemi!

14. Awesome thread! I really like the build and the craftsmanship you have displayed, excellent!

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Mick. I've been doing a few odds and ends in the garage, including cleaning up the place a bit. I'm back in there tomorrow and fabricate some things for the inner structure of the rear deck lid. Hemi sounds will have to wait till next year.;)

16. farmer12

farmer12

I can tell you one thing, it was cold in the garage today, with the little electric heater being of some help. Aligned the hood and bolted up the top part of the hood latch.(this will be finished next week.). Next I installed the bottom half, requiring a fair bit of measuring and Dremel work. Also finished off the U-shaped profile which is part of the inner structure of the rear deck lid. Getting closer!!:D

Attached Files:

17. Is that the factory hood latch or an aftermarket piece? Either way, it looks good.

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks David. It's an aftermarket piece and seems to work fine so far. The factory part I had wasn't in the best shape anymore.......just want to make sure the hood doesn't accidentally open when I'm doing 200 mph.:D:D

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Good looking stuff! As usual.:)

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you oldguard, glad you're enjoying the build as much as I am!

21. 48plysled

48plysled

looking great eric. I like the panel for the hood latch. Question for you. With your hood are you gonna reinforce the plate that the latch bolts to? I know with my 48 I my found out that this area was easy to twist and bend out of shape. Coincidentally the guy I got it from said the hood came up trailering it home. I just figured better safe than sorry. I added a plate from the latch plate to the point of the hood basically making the front of the hood one solid piece.

22. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hey Eric, do i spy a Volkswagen hood catch assembly buddy, they are a very popular part to use on 40-41 Willys hoods and other hot rods too, very neat and compact in size and the best thing is they are readily available as a new part, and that is World Wide. Will you be painting the firewall a different color to the body and or the inner side of the inner hood sides too ?

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks 48plysled. I plan to fabricate and weld a piece to the point of the hood to make it one solid part. At the moment I have the latch bolted in there, so I could work on the grill latch. But before I do that, I'll need to re-shape the point of the hood as it's not lining up nice enough with the top of the grill. The hood seems to have a bigger radius and I don't just want to use bondo on the grill to make it work. Just as I thought I was getting close to body and paint....

24. 48plysled

48plysled

I hear ya there. My 48 is the same way at the leading edge there. I'm just now almost done with the fabrication. Then on to fill work and blending. Then start rebuilding the motor and wire it all up. So what color are you goin with the 41?

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Frankie47.

Not sure if it's a VW assembly Kenny, I bought it new, but it could certainly be based on it. The plan is to paint the car just one color inside and out. This should give it a clean appearance and not distract from important things like the Hemi.:D

26. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I am pretty sure it is VW by looking at it Eric.

Good plan with the color buddy, because once the hood pops, watch the jaws drop . :)

27. farmer12

farmer12

Got some work done today, but first here are a few pics of the little roadtrip my friend Bart and I made yesterday. We took his 56 f100 to the muffler shop and did some work on his brake booster while we were there. It was another great day.:D

Attached Files:

28. farmer12

farmer12

Today was a classic lesson in taking it one step at a time and in the right order! I started aligning the hood, but didn't fit the way I wanted it to. Then saw that the outer edges of the grill was hitting the frame, so it was time to cut two pieces out of the frame. Then realised that in order to get the front end body parts to line up properly, I need to re-install the fenders. Picked up the fenders from the corner of my garage and saw that I hadn't done any work on the lips....a crucial part of course to give the fender the right shape........so there you have it. I started with the hood and ended up reworking/welding the lips.:D

I managed to finish the drivers side and will move on to the passenger side soon.

Attached Files:

29. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Eric, cool truck your buddy Bart has. Ad isn't it always the way when you are doing custom work, in order to get ahead, you have to take the long way around doing other jobs before you can tackle the job you set out to do. It is so confusing, i just confused myself. :confused: :D

30. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Hi Eric,
    great attention to detail with the fenders, but what else could be expected from you.
    Warm greetings and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

-Pasi