Register now to get rid of these ads!

My tv/ movie car rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fogs58, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Watching the show Vegas on tuesdays, because a lack of anything on tv, I've almost made a game of all the cars that are wrong for the year. Its supposed to be 1960 but almost every car in it is later. Which brings me to my next complaint. They blew up a 63 Galaxie in one show. Why ? It was even the wrong year to blow up. Which brings me to the big why in hollywood. I read today they tore up 6 -70 chevelles in the filming of Tom Cruise new movie. Why ? Not enough 2013 camaros to destroy ?

I just hate seeing them tear up old cars for film. I guess i kinda understand the period correct stuff but every new movie that comes out set in todays time has to have the " hero " driving a 60's muscle car or a hot rod of some sort thats going to get destroyed. They should have to pay some sort of a extra tax for that. Rant off.

2. slammed

slammed

Because these make believe 'movies' are aimed at idiots who buy into it. Car people are a tiny minority. How does any of you pay or sit through this contrived entertainment is beyond me.

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Easy guys.... don't let it eat at ya.

4. old cars in movies, get young viewers interested in the old iron.
    they gave their lives for a good cause.

5. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I got a better answer. Take kids to a dragstrip, the amount of old iron there is unreal and they can see what is up close.

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

there isn't a dragstrip in every town like there are movie theaters

7. williebill

williebill

This has been discussed before,and I agree,it bugs the shit out of me. Especially bad are street scenes in documentaries that infer you're looking at real footage from 1947, and the streets are full of 50s cars.

8. Because production companies are willing to pay more than you are willing to pay to save them. Alot of them are beaters that look good at 20' with a quickey spray job. I've done lots of TV/movie work and they aren't destroying a whole lot of "good" cars. They don't keep the cars anyway so they do get back into someone elses hands.

9. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i guess that would be another good business idea for anyone who is serious (mentally insane) about starting a hotrod/older car business.

But it could be very lucrative if done right and the proper people are targeted.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The stupid movies are nothing but about ruining cars.
    Its a conspiracy and a ploy to take our joy away.
    Somehow rolling a prius just isnt the same as Vin Diesel or some other madeup,
    line speakin pussified workout tough guy wipin out a Chevelle.
    Adventures of Ford Fairlane, anyone. YEA, have a nice day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

Its Hollywood and Hollywood is full of people who think you won't notice that the scene that is supposed to be 1954 just had a '57 Chev cruise by. Take a look at the chase in the "The Great Escape". McQueen makes his break on rigid framed, girder fork TRW flathead Triumph. When it comes to the jump the rigid frame miraculously gains a swing arm rear suspension, the girders become telescopic forks and the engine gains overhead valves.

Don't pay too much attention and you'll enjoy the movie.

12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i take it all back; The above idea WILL NOT be a good business idea because the people running hollywierd DO NOT have any integrity and are not anal when it comes to accurate depictions in terms of technological history---i.e., proper dates of cars during the era of depiction.

Where did we as a society go wrong?

13. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I've annoyed my wife so bad pointing out the inaccuracies in the year of vehicles in the Vegas show that she just goes off to bed when it comes on. Dennis Quaid is driving around in a nice looking Dodge 4x4, problem is it's a 65 with those wagon wheels on it. If it's 1960 he must have a time machine. Most of the vehicles in the show are post 1960.

14. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i think the problems in society stem from:

1) Lack of intelligence

2) impatience

3) the highly competitive nature of society---not enough time to get the details right.

Specifically, the producers/continuity "experts" working on the show simply don't really know cars.

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

P.S. Even on shows where the years are correct, often the vehicles themselves don't match from scene-to-scene.

Example: A correct car may have single headlights in one scene, but then in another scene may have quad headlights if it was an option for that year model.

16. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I never noticed that in "The Great Escape". In "The Bridges of Madison County" I got a kick out of watching when Clint Eastwood drove past a John Deere with a sound guard cab hooked to a Vermeer big round baler, neither would have been made yet when the movie was set.

17. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I totally agree they should be a lot more
    accurate when it comes to the year and
    cars/ trucks of that time.

18. slammed

slammed

From cradle to grave you've been programed to believe in these forms of entertainment. And you keep going back for more. And then wonder why it sucks. Wake up, it only gets worse.

19. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

The other thing that isn't right and shows a breakdown in society is very often than not the hairstyles are definitely not period correct either. Especially with actresses, but with actors too.

20. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I never noticed when the original Hawaii 5-0 was on but in watching some of the reruns on Me-TV McGarret will head out in a nice Mercury 2 door hardtop and arrive at the scene in his usual 4 door pillarless hardtop.

21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Actually, TV sucks.

i recommend you stop watching it.

Ok generally the older stuff is good, but in general it would probably best to stop watching it altogether.

22. badshifter

badshifter

Who gives a shit? These aren't documentaries. Movies are entertainment (use the term loosely) . Go to any weekend car show. More cars are being hacked by enthusiasts than Hollywood by a huge margin.

23. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Whoa there gentlemen.... You guys are allowing the IDIOT BOX to live rent-free in your heads! I watch about 3-4 hours of TV a week, total. Everything on TV is basically crap, purely entertainment for the brain-dead. Your life doesn't change for the better or worse if you stop watching it.. Go out to your garage's/shops or whatever it is, sit down, and relax. Life is way too short, to be upset over TV programing!
    CHILLAX

24. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,turn off the fucker and go work on your car.Then come in ,wash up,give your wife or girlfriend or both a foot rub,make love and fall asleep in each others arms

25. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Haha...I just saw that same episode the other day and caught that too. The movie " Blue Collor " was on the other nite and toward the end when they are trying to kill Harvey Keitels character off the chase car goes from an Impala to a chevelle and back lol.

26. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

27. Sometimes they get the years of the cars right for a 1950's scene but the cars have mag wheels that did not exist for that time period.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Evert time I watch a show or movie that is supposed to be a certain year I am always looking for their mistakes,even watching the Christmas story I seen too new of toys in the toy department scene but wont complain much since they did a real good job with that show.

29. My favorite inaccuracy is an episode of Burn Notice where Mike pulls the steering wheel off a '90 or so Suburban after wrecking it and setting off the airbag, so he can get free of being handcuffed to it.

Problem -

I took apart a GM van with the same column with an airbag. Under the airbag is the same big nut and press-fit splines as any non-airbag GM column, it's more or less the same with a few internal differences. That wheel ain't coming off if the nut is on there.

I'm also not sure GM bothered to rig up the squarebody trucks for airbags at all, but I don't care enough to dig into it to research that.

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

True, my buddy works for a shop that provides movie or advertizing cars. They once blew up a "Hemi Cuda" but it was a "plain jane" Cuda beater that they painted to look like a "Hemi Cuda". Same with '70 Chevelle SS's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.