Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker Tires - Is it just me??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatcrazy, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One issue is all Coker's 16" bias (and radial) tires require tubes, while the smaller ones don't, and may play a big part in getting a good balance.

2. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Out of the last 16 tires I bought from coker 1 was out of round pretty bad.... I put it on the back of my hotrod and did a burnout with it then put it back on my other truck and that helped it out a lot....guys it just needed trued up a bit.

3. bgaro

bgaro

are we talking about the firestones from coker? what about the BFG's?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few things to consider:

Have you checked the rims for runout? We dig out 60 year old rims, sand blast them, paint them and then throw tires on them and expect everything to be good but have you checked the rims themselves to see if they have runout or are within reasonable tolerances and aren't out of true more than allowable.

When the tires showed to be out of round did you break them down and move them 180 degrees on the rim?

I agree and have suggested a number of times with having the wheel/tire spun balanced on the car just the way it runs down the road. If you can find someone with a strobe balancer who knows how to run it right so much the better as then there is no extra object on the wheel.

5. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Its not just you, Coker must have more liabillity insurance than general motors.
    They are to look at in your garage. Must be, every new barn find or build thread seems to be the first thing thats going on the cars. Kool but don't try to take them past 60 mph. Coker won't be around to much longer.
    Prices are insane for that kind of quality.

6. I to have the same Problems.-- ON MY ROADSTER!

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I run the 4.50/4.75x16's on a lot of my A builds and haven't had any problems.. I don't shave or balance them but I keep a lot of air(30-40lbs) in them.. Just luck I guess...

8. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

If the tires are seriously unbalanced, beyond fixing with a normal quantity of balance weights, why should a manufacturer try to sell them to another unsuspecting customer? That would be the definition of a defective product. You can't just go around foisting the same defective products on people until you find a customer who is too dumb to realize it. What you are suggesting is what I would call "shady business practices". That is how you build NEGATIVE word of mouth.

9. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I've got two sets of bias ply tires from Coker. One set is 10 years old. No problems what so ever. One set on a 50 Ford and the other on a glass 32 roadster. I'm happy with them.

10. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

True, but the poster says they refused to refund because they were used, not because they were damaged or defective, if they were defective as we have seen many times from them they would gladly send him a replacement set, however he did not want that he just tried the tires and then wanted his money back. Jim

11. I totally agree,,play with the tire pressure. HRP

12. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

As I stated originally the last tire I received seems to be alright. I had both front tires shaved which really made a difference and I am satisfied with them now. I had to eat the one I sent back to them because they say they inspected it and it was ok plus I had to pay shipping both ways. Live and learn I guess. I am curious to know if it only Firestone smaller sizes or if anyone has experienced a similar problem with a BFG in a 525 or 550 x16 size. Thanks all for your input.

13. What about at 75 OR 85 on the road ?

14. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

The sweet spot on my flathead is about 65 mph with a 3.54 rear end and that seems to be good. I got up to 70 and no pronounced shake.

15. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

That's not what the poster said. He said his friend bought them and mounted them, but the tires could not be balanced. They were not used on the road, according to the poster:

I wasn't there, and this is getting into "friend of a friend of a friend", but ... I am just saying, if the situation is as described, then the manufacturer did the wrong thing.

16. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

+++++ yes on road force ballance! I worked at a GM dealer 3 years ago. They had problems with shake on new cars, we got road force ballance machine and fixed shake. Some tires had to be rotated on the rim to fix, others were so bad they had to be replaced. With the repair order from the shop you would have some proof of tire being the problem.

17. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I had the same problem,and used the same methods,to solve it. However the white wall blisters,and cracking were never fixed or replaced by Coker. I now have three sets of Diamond Backs,with no problems at all in 7 years. I will never buy another Coker.

18. Yep i had the same on my heap at about 55, Mines on a 4 inch dropped beam axel stock 40 spindles, hair pins, the difference of tie pressures was night and day to the wheel hop but the biggest change came when i gave front end a little more toe in" now goes to 100 MPH no Shake "

19. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Earlier (I forget who) said to run 15-20 lbs air pressure----then someone else says 30-40???????????

Can you use the plastic air soft BB's in a tube type tire? will they fit thru the valve stem?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  20. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

My cokers have never had any issues, probably because they have never been past the speed of "push" :)

21. rockfish

rockfish

I'm not a paid Coker spokesman but I've has their bias ply tires on 3 different vehicles. One set was their Coker "house brand" and the other 2 sets are Firestone. I've never had a problem with any of them and one of sets I just used an ancient bubble balancer on. FYI, sizes have been 5.50 on up. I appreciate their HAMB Alliance discount and their free delivery to car shows.
    Just my personal experience. I've seen these Coker threads before and they make me wonder if I'm lucky or just good. I like to think good:D

22. I had a set and they ran fine for about 3000 miles. Therer is no issue driving on bias. They were great. Then something in the tires changed. If I accelerated too rapidly or hit a goofy bump hang on. Changed out and adjusted everything twice trying to find it in the suspension and wheels. Best thing I ever did was get rid of those tires. Haven't had a problem since and it's been 5 years and 5 times the miles. You couldn't give me a set unless it was for a non driven show car.

23. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

What did you change to?---I seem to be able to find radials in about the same size as a 750x16,but what size in a radial is about the same size as a 550x16?

24. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

My bias plys will rattle the piss out of me over 65mph. Hate to do it, but radials are in the near future

25. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Ok, now you guys are making me worry :) I have Coker BFG Silvertown radials on my 40 Ford pickup. The rears (225-70-R15) each took quite a bit of weight 3-5 oz! The fronts (185-70-R15) only took less than 2 oz. The truck is near completion but these tires have never been driven on. Does anyone see the same issues with Coker radials? I'm no expert but these tires look exactly like stock BFG radials except for the wide whites. BTW the wheels are brand new, I know that doesn't guarantee anything but I just thought I'd mention it.

26. Quintin

Quintin

is everyone having the death shake with just whitewalls or blackwalls as well??

27. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

your onto something. If your in colorado try and find a bonneville guy out there they will definatly know where to get the tires trued.. you wont belive the difference. turns the ride from a bit sketchy yet manageable to the smothest ride of your life.... you will feel great about hitting the fun pedal at 75 on the freeway...

its the only way to do it and it is done on the car.. 100 bucks a tire with my guy but way worth it ..

say no to radials.....coker ones delaminate in my experience
    and yes all bias should be trued black or white it dont matter

ts

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  28. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I had a set of Coker radials, couldn't drive the damn truck over 65. Sears guardsmans drove better. Now I run Diamondback or nothing. I have bought 6 sets from Bill, never a problem. I even autocrossed them! All vehicles I build use Diamondback.

29. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

What about grooved front runners or the rear dirt trackers?, you pay that kind of money they should work great or no ? Asked returns plus shipping,you shouldn't have to go spend hundreds to fix a new set of tire.

30. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.