Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. It didnt take much more than a sawzal to make this one look better!!! Man what a mess. Heres a few pics of the A-pillers fixed. Now I have to graft the 2 door roof onto them......

OK now for a name.....anyone? Ive thought of a couple but not very family friendly!?!?!?

Attached Files:

2. redroaddog

redroaddog

i'd call it Harry after all the ingrown "wire hairs " in the b post! wow what a mess that was LOL:eek:

3. doubledoyle

doubledoyle
    from norwich UK

Well heres mine, ordered the epoxy primer today. Spent a few hours this week bare metalling, Found a few bits of bondo abuse but nothing i can't cope with.

seems like its taking ages, had to even build a garage to store it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

I love this merc. I am doing a similar chop and for the most part a stock but slammed frontend. The sheetmetal re work on the inside and rearend work looks great as well. Nice job on a bad ass merc!

5. After a few false start my 50 Mercury is back on track again.

It's being sent out to the sand blaster later this week, then we'll see what's finally left of it.

The attached photo was taken after it was put back together to be either sold, shipped or put in storage for a while...but the good news is I've had a change of heart and won't be selling it, so the work will starts now.

Will hopefully be posting regular updates as progress is made.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  6. Attached Files:

7. Skirv

Skirv

The Jerkury is back on the road. I strill have to do some more things before I start the body work and repaint. The bottom side is completely redone. Chassis powder coated etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bounder

Bounder

Got a motor, transmission, wiring kit and am just waiting for cold weather, too much cruising time left yet.

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Hey Skirv,
    The Jerkury looks great. I see that the heater is not installed under the hood. What do you do for heat, or do you not need it in FL?

10. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Well, if I didn't have enough projects on the go, I came across a 1950 Merc 4door barn find. It's been parked for 10 years, all there, bit rough around the edges, interior shot, family of raccons was living in it. It's getting dropped off next weekend, will be getting the full treatment, I'll post pics once I have it.

11. Did some front end work last year. Made the bottom half of the grill shell out of muffler tubing. I was really on the ball for a while, then got moth balled again. I don't know why. ImageUploadedByTJJ1348163762.174718.jpg

Then about a month ago I got this one. It's a driver. Clip,sbc, blah blah. Drives and runs great. Been having a blast driving it. now I have two. ImageUploadedByTJJ1348164115.072659.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. skirv, i've seen your car many times on the hamb. for some reason i just noticed how much the top is hammered. how many inches is that? now that i have another one i'm thinking about doing the 51 quarters also.

13. I'm spending a lot of time drag racing my OT newer Camaro and helping my buddy with his 7 second 315 radial car. I will get back on mine after we conclude racing Oct 15 and then I will fix the hood latch and swap the radiator and do the grille.

14. Finished fixing the top with a two door lid that had rust in the header and one A-piller. I then took the tired 327 and 2 speed powerglide out of my 49 and dropped it in the 50. Now for a little haircut!!! Stay tuned!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  15. Well, my son turned 16 on Sept. 11th and he got a set of keys for the 64 Galaxie in his card! Since it was my daily driver to work, I needed a replacement that was not only gas friendly and reliable but also a tiney bit traditional!!!! Not for the faint of heart but I yanked the tired 327 and shoved a new powerplant into the 49 to get my butt to work and back. Shes racking up 20 MPG and all the style you can shove in a 4 door!!!!! Now for new interior to get rid of the grandma smell, unless you like that sort of thing!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  16. ether, i havn't look at the hamb for a while. just checked out your last build thread for area51. wow, it turned out great. if i'm counting right, you now have three mercurys? and i thought i was doing good.

i see your a fan of the 5.0. will the 68 bronco pan not work for a merc? what are you doing about the ecm, wiring and fuel pump?

17. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Nice work Ether! You make that shit look easy!

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

16!!! damn your old:D

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I purchased a 41 long door coupe with an understanding that he would keep it until I finished buying a garage... The garage deal fell through and it's been five months... Got to do something soon... Solid car rebuilt 53 Merc - price was right but I hate to flip it or rent space...

20. Mercurys are just like Lays potato chips, "You cant have just one"!!!! The Bronco pan will work but I recommend the Mustang/Crown Vic pan for more clearence. This swap got an Explorer motor that has a cam for lower RPM cruising speeds. I use Mustang harnesses and ECMs. As for the fuel pump, my secret is a frame mounted external pump from a mid 80s Cougar or T-Bird turbo coupe. Some trucks had them also. I know they are not what alot call HAMB friendly but I drive the crap out of my stuff, racking 100,000 miles on my 5.0L 64 Galaxie since 05. You cant beat the gas milage and parts availability, hell even WalMart has parts for them!!!! Customs need their hoods shut anyway so I guess theres a Nailhead under there sometimes!!!!

21. Then...just like potato chips,you share with your friends....hint,hint!!!

22. I really want to find a stock '49. 2dr or 4dr,I don't care. Probably have to wait til I retire.

23. I finally got mine on the road but it is still a project.

[​IMG]

24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The chassis is nearly complete. Just finishing up a few details, and then it is time to drop the body back on for the final time before it gets shipped off to the body shop.

[​IMG]

25. sled

sled

Bob,i do have at hand a mint survivor 50 coupe in case...sorry,no 49s available

26. ottos hot rods

ottos hot rods
    from portland

Can anyone tell me if ther remake door bottoms and door skin repair panels for my 1950 mercury 2 door new to this HAMB not new to building cars thanks T

27. ottos hot rods

ottos hot rods
    from portland

I am looking for some one or company who produces 1950 mercury door bottom replacement panels also door skin repair panels thanks

28. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

29. 51 mercules

51 mercules

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Still too slow.I got a running hemi.Bought brake shoes,lines and wheel cylinders.Still need master cylinder.Tonight I'm dropping my powerflite trans off at Tranny Johns to be rebuilt.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    KUSTOM