Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big n' Littles Tire Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave in boise, Dec 17, 2012.

1. dave in boise

dave in boise
    from Near Boise

Hi All,

I am active on the Fordbarn side of the world, but no so much on the HAMB, until I found a 30 coupe with rough fenders, but strong running mechanicals. I have 'hot rodded' it in the sense I have improved the mechanicals, etc, but she could go back to stock very easily if someone decided to.

Well, to cut the story short, I am now fenderless, early Ansen Downdraft, Custom exhaust header into a small glasspack, carb is a Holley 84 I polished out and am plumbing in a carter electric fuel pump which runs 2-4 psi (too much for the Holley?)

I am now looking for Tires for the 16' wheels i have located. Thinking about 6.00's (or 5.50's) in front and 7.50's out back for about 1.5' of 'rubber rake'.. Any suggestions on Tires? I am cool with Bas Plys, but if anyone can decode the bias specs into Radials, I am flexible.

I think I am going to go for a pre 40's appearance, so am thinking about blackwalls on black powdercoat wheels. The rims are 5" wide if I have measured correctly.. Suggestions, Pointers, etc very much appreciated!\

- Dave in Boise

Attached Files:

2. That thing would look great with 5.50 and 7.50 firestones bias-plies on it.

Call Coker and get it done.

3. dave in boise

dave in boise
    from Near Boise

Thanks for the tip.. I was afraid I would have probs with the 5.50' as Cokers site states: that the recommended rim width is <TABLE class=data-table><TBODY><TR><TD class=att2>Recommended Rim Width: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>3.25 - 4.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>.. I'd be an inch wider at 5" and did not want to run into issues with bead seating..

- Dave in Boise

4. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

We did 5.50 and 7.00 Firestones on ours.

Attached Files:

5. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Unless Coker has reinstated the production, you wont find Firestone bias plys 7.50 & 5.50-16's in the same tread pattern, you'll have to go with 6.00's up front. Of course, if different tread patterns do not matter?..........

6. walls

walls

Everything's preference but, for a 30s-40's type car, 600-16/700-16 is the way to go. They would have been more common in size I believe. Blackwall definitely though.
    I think the drastic "big n little" for prewar/postwar cars is more of a modern interpretation.
    Looks cool either way.
    I personally like 600-16/750-16 on a stock motor A. A little less rpm at speed with the bigger tire.
    Coker makes radials that look like bias. They're expensive but, still use tubes so you can use them with your wire wheels. Search for them here. There's a couple threads about them.

I believe the holley would be fine with 2psi.

7. walls

walls

Are the wheels you have in the picture the ones you'll be using? Those are 4".
    If not, what are they from? Ford wheels from the 40's are 4" and 4.5.
    You measure the inside not the outside.

8. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

Dave,
    As per Walls question, are those the wheels you're using? If so, we had no problem mounting 5.50's on our rims which are '35 Ford wires and the last spoke wheels they made. Just like the ones you show in your picture.
    Also, no difference in tread pattern front to rear on our tires.

9. dave in boise

dave in boise
    from Near Boise

That is a great looking setup!

- Dave

10. dave in boise

dave in boise
    from Near Boise

Fmascioli and Walls.

Yes these are the wheels I will be running once I clean and powdercoat them. Couldn't beat the price of *free* :)

I am not sure what year they are, so I do appreciate the pointers. I measured pretty close from inner rim to outer rim so maximum of about 5 inches

11. silent rick

silent rick

i did 7.50 and 6.00 on my T. both are on 16x4 kelseys. they both have the same tread pattern also. they are firestone deluxe champions bias ply from coker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  12. dave in boise

dave in boise
    from Near Boise

So...

looks like some good options would be:

1) 5.50 + 7.00 would work on my 4-4.5 inch rims if I wanted to go 2 sizes, or 6.00+7.00 for 1 size

*or*

2) 6.00+7.50 if I want a little more roadspeed given the 7.50's are a bit larger than the stock wheels the 'A' originally came with..

7.50's, if they will mount on the rims, should equal out to about 205 RPM slower at 60MPH as the A motor has torque, but not much upper RPM, I think 6.00 - 7.50's might be the way to go.. still noodling on this :)

I appreciate everyones pics and feedback, even if I am a FNG over here (lol)

13. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

14. Man is that a neat color !
    What is it ?

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I pick up 2 brand new 235/85/16 from craigslist for $80 & 2 old new bias from L.B. Swapmeet for $40.

FYI: Tube tires can be put on with 2 screwdrivers like a bicycle

Attached Files:

16. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

I just put 5.00/5.25 x 16 on front and 7.50x16 on rears. Put them on 16x4 rims all around.

Attached Files:

17. walls

walls

Bias and Radials mixed. I don't think that's a good idea. Although, I'm only regurgitating what I believe I've read in the past.
    Check into it at least. So nobody gets hurt.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Is mixing Big V8 engines with an 80 year old chassis designs a good idea? "Dont mix Bias and Radials" is lettered on pretty much all radials. Mixing front & back is OK, mixing side to side is NOT.

19. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Are those Tornel's on the rear?

20. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

they say Skyline on the sidewalls. I have never heard of them, but seems like everyone and there brother was making tires at one time.

21. 5.25-5.5os on the front and 7.00s on the back with tubes on 35 ford wheels.

Attached Files:

22. That's a pretty robust tire for a model A. what pressures are you running?

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Lots of probs with the 5.25 's over the years

24. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

20-25psi

25. walls

walls

No big deal on my end.:)

26. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Are you sure you're not talking about 4.50/4.75X16??? I did a lot of research before I bought my 5.00/5.25's and the consensus was "stay away from the 4.50/4.75's but the 5.00/525's were good to go???