Register now to get rid of these ads!

quick change under construction equipment ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coupedeville, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

check this out i found this construction equipment that sweeps the road . it has a big quick change under it. winters or franklin. anyone seen this before???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I've seen those sweepers before, but I never saw one with anything but an ordinary differential under it.

3. Beachcomber

Beachcomber
    from Phoenix,AZ

high speed cleaner?????

4. No, they normally operate at like 10 mph -

5. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

the front of the qc had a hydro drive bolted to the 6 bolts on the qc housing.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That, gentlemen, is the sound of street sweeper prices soaring.. ;)

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Thats a winters Quick change.....

8. striper

striper

Mounted upside down????

9. robwizard

robwizard

10. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I will start looking for this!!

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow!! No shit!! :eek:

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

No, but I'll be paying more attention in the future that's for damn sure. I just can't imagine WHY it's under there. It is mounted upside down, that makes it run backwards and all the fluid is in the wrong place....

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It may well have been the easiest way to get a super low gear without a ridiculously tiny pinion! Lubrication should not have been mush of a problem, just drill a new filler at the top. If this thing moves at 10 MPH there isn't going to be much of a problem with the oil foaming...

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Hey guys there also some farm equiptment with them, I have a old spray rig from the 50/60s that also has a quick change under it.
    I would have to guess the gears would be alot lower than an automotive version, but Im just guessing.

Godspeed
    MrC.

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Never thought about that....

16. indyjps

indyjps

Check out cushman electric carts. The ones used in a factory I worked at all had narrow 9 inch ford rearends with nodular cases. I just don't know where to find junk ones. Some of theequipment carts were wide enough that the rearends would swap into hot rods

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

The factory I work in has those. Look on kbid and other industrial auction web sites, they go for virtually nothing once they are beat up an auctioned off.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Currie got their start cutting down nine inch rear axles for the electric carts.

The Winters quickchange under the street sweeper may have been there for several good reasons. 1. the ability to swap gears for how the sweeper was used. 2. Winters is set up to custom build axles for just about any width without any hassles. "You want it how wide? No problem we can do it, how many do you want?"

19. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

As I metioned before I have one in a old spray rig, I never considered it usefull since it was under farm equiptment. Do any of you think it would be worth getting it out and trying to use on the street? Would locating "street" gears be a problem, it looks to be a good width. How strong would it be? equal to what modern rear axle?

Godspeed
    MrC.

20. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

This thread reminds me of an instance many years ago: I was building an old 11 bolt Champ quick change and I needed a differential carrier and two short side bells (too cheap to buy Frankland at the time). I found a couple 3/4 ton rearends in a local wrecking yard and figured they ought to be cheap since nobody would want a rearend for an old 3/4 ton Ford or Studebaker truck. When I went to the counter, the guy quoted some astronomical for the time) figure. I asked him "why so much?'. He replied that he could sell all of them he could get for that price to VERMEER, a Northern Indiana mfr of trenching equipment. They had designed a piece of equipment around that (Timken) rearend.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  21. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Damn! Yet another potential donor vehicle to look for:D. Never would have thought to look under one of those things, I gotta learn to pay better attention lol..

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As to R&P ratios, I would imagine they would be standard 4.11 ot 4.86 (it wouldn't make sense to use an available axle and then re-tool for a special R&P). I would imagine all of the gear reduction is in the spur gears I think they can go down to 7's or maybe even 8's.

23. Terraizer

Terraizer

Never seen that before. All the Rosco sweepers i have ran had dana 44's or ford 8.8's never a quick change, and they will run well over 10MPH

24. I saw a truck set up to blow loose fill insulation into home attics that used a Roots type blower to force the insulation through the hose and into the house.

25. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy