Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swedish guys. Anyone recognize this old 58 kustom Rekord????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonez, Dec 17, 2012.

1. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Car on the lower right..
    Found this scan some 5 or so years ago and lost it soon after to only find it again last week. I looked over the internet all this time for it but nothin at all popped up.

I would like to see more pictures of it and know what sorta suspension mods it had.
    I dont think its off topic since its a full kustom 58 euro GM car. But if it is i'll bare the consequences (deleted thread:confused:)
    Any and all info is very much appreciated. posts, pms, email whatever...
    Thanx in advance.

[​IMG]

2. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

That Opel Rekord was in Chrom & Flammen once.Probably an issue from the late 80's to early 90's.I have that issue somewhere in the basement.Don't ask me to dig it out,tons of magazines there...

3. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Hahaha...thanx for the tease, errrm..lead :D LOL

4. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I'm glad you take it easy bonez.I know it's not of much help.Sorry man.I really wouldn't know where to start digging and would have to go through all pages and believe me,I have lots of paper there.Chrom & Flammen was/is available in different languages/countries.There also is dutch version.Maybe Rik knows more.

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Funny how i looked for pics of it for years and then today lookin for a 66/71 Rekord/Commodore coupè one popped up :eek: Life can be weird.
    [​IMG]
    With proper paint it would be hella kool. But what really puzzles me is where he found those 12" wires..

6. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Guy's name is Sampe, from what i remember it is a lowrider with hydraulics. If i'm not mistaken he used to host shows and events for lowriders in Sweden with jumping contests and such.

7. In the first pic, the "wires" look like disc wheels with wire covers

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thank you very much. This tiny bit of info might prove very helpful for the research.
    I was wondering if it actually had hydraulics, as its clearly influenced big time from the kustoms/lowriders of the late 70s and early 80s.
    Sweden was always a step ahead of the rest of Europe :)

9. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

I think Sampe is a friend of Bernt Carlsson who used to work for Boyd and is a well known customizer in socal.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thats the guy that built ''The Pink Lady'' right?
    Wonder if he had a hand on this one too.

11. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

If its the same Bernt Karlsson I'm thinking, he is Partnered with Duane Mayer
    at American Hot Rods inc in Anaheim, CA. This was back April of 2010. One hell of Metal Fabricator and Painter.

12. d.j

d.j

Remember it from magazines in the 80s

Attached Files:

13. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Yep.

14. don colaps

don colaps

I remember that car from a late 70's or early 80's issue of swedish magazine "Wheels". Probably the first version of the car? It was painted plain white or some other light color, with stock steelies/small caps. The article mentioned hydraulics or maybe citroën gas hydraulics (?) if I remember correctly!

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Probably a citroen hydro system then, its called hydro-pneumatic cause it has accumulators that are nitogen charged in parallel on the suspension lines.
    Thanx for the info guys, and thanx for that pic DJ. definitley an improvment :D
    Edit: 'cept for the limo boomerang lol

Keep'em comin and thanx so much.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  16. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

The plate on that last photo makes it easy to find the current owner. I only bothered to look up the info available online for free at transportstyrelsen now, but if you want the name of the owner and where he lives it's only a text message away from your cellphone.

This is the modifications noted in "additional information":
    Hydraulic front & rear suspension
    Roof lowered, turnable front seats

Has not been in traffic since 2008, has had 13 registered owners (including dealers).

The registration does say it is a 1962, not a 1958.

And yes, I finally registered here just to write this. Been lurking for quite a while. ;)

17. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

For you looking at that last picture and thinks that there are som strange looking cars in the background. A way in sweden to get to drive a couple of years erlier is to rebuild a car and register it as a tractor. In sweden you can drive a car at 18 and tractor at 15. A old rebuilt car in to a tractor got the name EPA. From the in the 30s and 40s a good way to get a cheap machine for you farming. But in the 60s and 70s the youth started to rebuild cars as EPA for street use, just to get out on the streets a couple of years erlier. There was some legislations on how one of these were to be designed that made them have a special look. 9 out of 10 of these were built on volvo duett, that where shortend so they looked like a shrunken truck. in the 70s and 80s these were extremly common in the streets of sweden.

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thanx g-son. Good info.
    Fjant, i kno about the Epas, but i think ive heard them called diffrently?? Theyre some weird machines, and althou most of them are as tacky as it gets i have seen a few that were really really really kool :)
    Must be good being 16 in Sweden and driving a way overpowered half ton hotrod truck.....

19. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Current owner is Joel Olofsson from Sundsvall. last time this car was in registration was 2006 08 04

20. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

The possibility to register an epa was removed in the 70's, the rules were written to fit farm equipment around WW2, not "baby cars" being driven around town.
    The basic rules were simple: Max wheelbase 225cm (that's why you see the rear wheel almost inside the cab), rear axle solidly mounted to the frame, maximum 2 gears forward, no top speed limit but not allowed to be driven over 30kph.

Put a 16-year-old behind the wheel of something only allowed to go 30kph but being able to go three times that on a bouncing stiff mounted rear axle, and you'll see why the rules needed to be changed...

At that time they come up with rules for a new type of tractor, the "A tractor", also being based on ordinary cars. Still 30kph limit, but this time it has to have a top speed below that, at the engines max hp rpm or higher. That means you usually need to remove 3:rd and higher gears on the original gearbox, and put an extra gearbox locked in 1:st gear behind it to lower the gearing enough. This makes a gas guzzling (say 6mpg) engine killer (usually 5000+rpm at top speed), so ofcourse almost noone really follows the rules - just about every A tractor out there is running the rear gearbox in high gear (if they even have a rear gearbox), possibly uning a rpm limiter on the engine to limit top speed to 30. Illegal ofcourse, in the eyes of the law it is a car again, and driving a car w/o the proper license gets you in a heap of trouble. FWD cars are almost impossible to use, due to no good way of lowering the gearing.

Additional rules: The cab must end just behind the driver seat (no room for goods or rear seat passengers), and the rear part of the roof must be removed - rules require a "pickup truck" style of the body.

Being Sweden, the car of choice to base it around is ofcourse still a Volvo, mostly 740 or 940 these days. This is one example of how it can look:
    [​IMG]

Recent drivers licence changes has had a huge impact on tractors. About a decade ago we had 30kph mopeds (50cc motorcycles) that anyone above 15 was allowed to drive w/o licence. They disappeared and were replaced with 25kph ones w/o licence, or 45kph with a simple type of licence. Accidents went through the roof as those modern mopeds are alot easier to tune than the old ones, and a couple of years ago laws changed so the 25kph ones reqiore the simple license, and 45kph mopeds needs a new type of proper drivers license. Since this license is more advanced than the old tractor license, you may now drive both 30kph tractor and 45kph mopeds with that. Many kids get it to drive moped, figure out it's not very fun in bad weather, and get a tractor too/instead since they now already have the license for it. Alot more tractors on the streets the last few years.

An old Volvo 740 can be bought for equal to ~1000$ here depending on what shape it is in, one in too bad shape to be road legal may be picked up for less than 100$. A well built A tractor will set you back in the region around 5000$. Old epas may cost something like that in descent shape, but even a rusted out wreck will cost 1000-2000$ since you can't build and register a new one - you're paying for the papers, not the epa.

Hmm... this might be slightly offtopic. I hope nobody minds. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  21. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

22. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ah! Hes from USO!! Thanx for that, its goin to be a lot easier to find him now.
    One last thing, as much as i enjoy readin about tractors (i really do im not kidding) i'd appreciate it if you would avoid anymore of that, as i can see the mods shuttin the thread down, which is probably a boarderline thread to begin with.
    Thanx and sorry, really dont mean to be rude.

And bump for more info.