Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap GPS for pet tracking...maybe stolen car locater?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboroadster, Dec 18, 2012.

1. http://petshops.about.com/od/PetSupplies/p/Tagg-GPS-Pet-Locator.htm

not affiliated in any way, but it sure seems crazy cheap compared to Lojack . one year service included in the 200 price and each additional is 100.
    who says Fido has to have 4 legs, maybe hes got 4 wheels.
    I can see dismantling and hiding with a small remote battery and shazaam! if they can find Fido, they can find the car easy enough!
    has anybody done this?

2. Turbroadster,
    I don't doubt that it will work but I don't think that a low jack is very expensive any more.

Ya gotta do what you need to to keep your car in your possion.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could do the same thing with your out of date smart phone hidden in the car and connected to a battery for about 10 bucks a month.

It's amazing how fast a Droid phone can get back to the lost and found at the store it was misappropriated at when it was found in a shopping cart and the screaching alarm goes off five minutes after the local cop stops by the home of a "prominant local citizen" to ask about it. "The cop was just here asking about a missing, what the hell is that noise in your room?"
    The old phone with the skinned up face that doesn't get all the apps would work great for that.

4. Some of the fellas are just using a modern cell phone with child tracker. It does not need to be a smart phone, my flip phone has GPS on it, the state uses it to track my movements under the guise of doing traffic studies. Well maybe not my movements personally I am not that important.

A cat tracker would work but it is just one of a myriad of ways to keep track of you vehicle. Sometimes I sleep in the driveway with a chain around my ankle attached to the rear end of my pickup. I am not paranoid mind you. :D

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Here's another idea. Put one of those invisible fences across your driveway and hook up the electric dog collar under the driver's seat.

6. txturbo

txturbo

You can buy the same car tracker that used car lots use for $120.

7. SteveClary

SteveClary

8. Well the battery only lasts 7 to 10 days when it is on standby, how long will it work when the unit is in use?

That is the only hole in the process that I can see.

My phone sends out GPS signals when I am not using it as long as it is turned on and I chagre it one a week with regular use.

9. txturbo

txturbo

Don't have a link at the moment. Last summer I saw several ads on craigslist for a company that sold these units. I also do instrument cluster repairs and have a lot of used car lot customers that use them. I asked about buying one for my Camaro and was told they are $120 per unit. The one advertised on CL was a standalone unit that came with software so you could track it yourself. I remember it being less than $200. I'll post a link as soon as I find it again. I'm sure I saved it on my home computer.

10. metal man

metal man

So how is the alarm set off ? I wouldn't want an alarm to sound , then the thief could find and discard it. I just want it to be quiet and lead me to my car so I can take it back.

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep, there's a GPS kiddo tracker that is really cheap as well but I don't have a link handy...

13. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  14. metal man

metal man

I'm bringing this old thread back to the top because I'm in the market for one of these systems. Basically, I've decided on the Arrowtrack unit that snapper posted above^^^ For one reason...It's the only one I can find that alerts me by text and e-mail immediately if the car moves.
    This is important because it could take hours or even days to discover the car is gone. All the other units I looked at, you have to discover it is missing on your own before you can start tracking it, so it might be too late.
    Does anyone know of another unit with this feature?

15. interesting stuff....thanks all...

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'm subscribed.

17. metal man

metal man

Does anyone here have experience with the Arrowtrack?

18. I am still pondering this unit.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

It is portable...the only drawback is that the signal doesn't go through metal but will go through glass. I thought maybe putting in the rear package tray covered with a towel. The scum that moves it may find it but only after I am on their trail locked and loaded. :)

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  20. txturbo

txturbo

I ordered some of these. Can locate stuff with your smart phone.
    http://www.thetileapp.com

$20 each, it's own battery that lasts 1 year and they update their location via call phone network anytime a cell phone gets within range that has the app installed. No monthly fee. Once it catches on it will work great.