Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic request....Rare SBC speed equipment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterCustom, Aug 29, 2008.

1. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

why yes it is...one for a hemi and the other is for a pontiac :)

it sounds like you need to sell some stuff to me:D

2. cracker head

cracker head

AAAAHHHHHH........I moved....

3. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Damn some people have all the good shit

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. voodoo1

voodoo1

Been looking at something like this manifold. Any idea on what its worth? Post 139. Didn't post like I had hoped. Mike

5. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You can send them over to me and I'll "verify" them for you and let the people know they're the real deal. ;)

7. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Anybody recognize these? They were a LARS swap meet find - apparently the last of a run made years ago...

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  8. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

56 and early 57 Vettes. Then the 7 fin covers were made so the air breather on the FI cars didn't hit the top fin of the 9 fin covers. GM had to mill a little of the fin off on early 57 cars for clearance.

9. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Here is an Offenhauser dual quad manifold for SBC. This is one of the very few vintage aftermarket manifolds that will take Holley carburetors. Part number 5253.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  10. chevy3755

chevy3755

i have that same manifold...fast 67

Deuces likes this.
  11. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Edelbrock script valve covers but the script isn't curved. I believe these started in the late 1970's.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  12. john doe

john doe
    from sweden

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  13. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

Not terribly rare, but I figured I'd post it since I'm getting ready to put it on the 37 this winter.

Mickey Thompson Power Ram

[​IMG]

14. Yeah but the distributor doesn't take those Holley carbs..lol

15. Does a GM large journal forged 327 crank count? :rolleyes: This thread is awesome.

Deuces likes this.
  16. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

made by inglese years ago, with summers bros. front drive dist.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  17. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Here is a pair of Chevrolet to early Ford engine mounts made by Dixon. They are aluminum. I have yet to find any information on them anywhere.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  18. I got one of those and while it will take Holley carbs you cannot run a distributer if you bolt them on. Rear float bowl gets in the way.

19. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Maybe with some adapters they will work?

20. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

... or rotate the carbs so the float bowls are side to side instead of fore and aft?

21. Both options will work both take adapters and both kind of nullify that fact that it will take holley carbs.

I am not sure what the original intention of the holley car bold pattern was and would like to find some very old information to get some idea what the thinking on it was. It is a before crank trigger intake, maybe a front drive distributer from the era was what they had in mind if using the holleys. If I recall Offy made a front distributer drive in the same time frame as the intake.

22. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Depending on the manifold, a spacer might be needed to provide clearance for the throttle arms, but no adapter is needed to install a Holley "sideways".

23. The mounting holes on a Holley base plate are longer that they are wide. 5.125 center to center wide and about 5.625 center to center length wise (front to back). The carbs will not turn without an adapter.

But even run in common orientation it takes a spacer to clear the throttle plates, offy sold and may still sell a .375 spacer for Holley carbs.

On mine I am just going to run carters, it is just easier. I like easy. ;)

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I am not an authority of Holly carbs, but I have seen them rotated without the need for an adapter, and I have done it myself on a couple Fords. Maybe not all Holleys have a symmetrical mounting pattern, but I can confirm that at least some do.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!... Tryin' to figure out what car they came from???...:confused:
    There's guys on here that'll swear up a storm that they don't exist... :rolleyes:

26. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I would think they are tight on a small block this one of my BBC's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. The bolt pattern on the offy in question is for the 1850 type of base plate. The holley/autolite carbs like used on some fords did have a square mounting flange.

I won't but I know SBCs. I don't know what they came from originally but I have had a junk yard large journal 327 that had a forged crank in it. It was a single quad motor and I would guess that it was probably a truck engine.

I wish I had a large journal forged 327 crank today, or even a large journal forged 283(302) crank. I am a sucker for a short stroke engine. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  28. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

They never made a large journal 283. Your only option for the 3" stroke is the 1968 or 1969 Z28 302 crankshaft.

Deuces likes this.

29. Same crank. If you are going to be correct it would actually be a DZ302 if I recall. The basic platform for the engine was a 283 crank in a 327 block. When GM first marketed it the engine was a 327 block with a 283 crank in it, that would have been the first year of it before they went to the large journal block.Hence
    I did make the assumption that one could make the jump from point A to point B if it were written this way.

yea yea I know I have now made an ass out of you and me. Well I was already an ass so it wasn't as much work as it would been if we both weren't already an ass I suppose. :D

Deuces likes this.
  30. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Not the same crank but they did have the same stroke. 283 had small journals. 1968 Camaro MO Z28 and 1969 Camaro DZ 302 were both large journal cranks. The only small journal factory 302 crank was the 1967 Camaro MO Z28 crank which was just a small journal 283 crank that was tuffrided from the factory for strength.

Deuces likes this.