Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Uncertain T"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, May 24, 2005.

1. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Another failed attempt by JohnnyLightning. They called it "TNT".

[​IMG]

2. 32coupe

32coupe
    from michigan

Car is alive.steve Scott has surfaced.go to Facebook Steve Scott uncertain t . He will friend you. His friend owns it. Plans on painting and putting back to second color.i talked to him yesterday. Read the info when he friends you. Intresinting story.

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Thank's 32.
    Please try and keep us updated here from time to time.Some us here choose not to Facebook..

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Loving this thread.Mystery,suspense and all.Hey.I just figured it out.The butler done it.;).Mr.Scott.Welcome aboard.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Thank you Mr. Scott for coming on board to this forum. Seems like like your having some fun with it, and you should know that you certainly have a lot of fans, and friends here.

6. From our friends over at The Rodder's Journal:

TRJ News: "Uncertain-T" Builder Steve Scott on Facebook!

[​IMG]
    "Uncertain-T" Monogram model kit photo shoot
    Photo by Steve Scott © Steve Scott 1965

In the hunt for old hot rods, customs, and the more elusive characters from hot rodding's past, the "Uncertain-T" and builder, Steve Scott, have taken on legendary status. The rodding world was bowled over when Steve, a high school student when he started the project, debuted his outrageous show rod in 1965. The radical proportions of the orange-gold Metalflake fiberglass body were further exaggerated by the short wheelbase, polished mags, and beefy M&H slicks. A healthy, Hilborn-injected nailhead and chrome-plated "wind up" push bar helped put the "T" over the top. Both the car and the builder seemed to drop off the face of the earth sometime in the '70s, so you can imagine our surprise when Steve showed up recently on Facebook, of all places. He's playing his cards close to his vest, and much of his personal history and that of his famous hot rod remain shrouded in mystery, but we recently had the rare opportunity to speak with him about where he and the "T" have been.

We are excited that he has given The Rodder's Journal the nod to help him deliver his story in conjunction with his new, rapidly-expanding Facebook fan page, www.facebook.com/SteveScottsUncertainT. It's well worth your time to log in, send a "friend request" and rediscover one of the wildest show rods ever.

[​IMG]
    "Uncertain-T"chassis with injected nailhead, Pontiac Hydro, and magnesium Halibrand V8 QC

Back in 1960, 17-year-old Steve's vision of the "Uncertain-T" sprang to life upon seeing a cartoon scribbled by a classmate at his Reseda, California, high school. Steve rushed home to his family's cramped, one-car garage where he spent the next few years bending pipe, slinging plaster, and shaping fiberglass as he brought his vision to life. Unlike many show rods of the '60s, the "Uncertain-T" was a fully functioning hot rod. Steve relied on his own ingenuity, the lessons he learned in an experimental physics class in high school, and a lot of reading on his own to fit the big nailhead and everything else to make it start, stop, and steer, within the confines of the drastically abbreviated chassis. In fact, its outwardly cartoonish appearance was in stark contrast to the impressive engineering tucked beneath the Metalflake body.

[​IMG]
    The "Uncertain-T" at the 1965 U.S. Fuel and Gas Championships, Bakersfield, CA
    Photo by Sherm Porter © Sherm Porter 1965

It was a banner year for Steve when the "T" debuted in '65. "It was like I was a rock star" he told us, recalling when he won his first sweepstakes trophy at the Seattle Custom Auto Show. "Everyone was cheering, and it was so exciting." From the NHRA Winternationals to the Oakland Roadster Show, Steve quickly amassed quite a collection of sweepstakes trophies. He even famously made a wide-open pass down Famoso Raceway's quarter-mile at the U.S. Fuel and Gas Championships. Before the year was out, Steve, who was also an accomplished photographer and writer, was hired on as associate editor at Car Craft.

[​IMG]
    Steve Scott and the "T" at a friend's house in Northridge, CA

For the next several years, the "Uncertain-T" continued drawing crowds on the show circuit. Then sometime in the '70s, as hot rodding lore goes, Steve Scott and the "Uncertain-T" disappeared. Stories and theories circulated through the years, ranging from tales of the "Uncertain-T's" remains turning up in barns to outlandish (and false) accounts of Steve's transcontinental draft-dodging adventures. Steve finds it all quite humorous, because, as he succinctly states, "I've always known where I am! I've often done searches online over the years to find myself, and within 10 minutes I was always able to find me." And he knows right where to find the real "Uncertain-T" too. He held onto the "T" through the '70s until a very close friend acquired it in the early-'80s during one of several difficult times in Steve's life. It has remained with that friend since, resting safely and awaiting the next chapter.

[​IMG]
    Steve in the second iteration of the "T" with Indy-style
    wheels and tires replacing the Americans and slicks

We don't know exactly when and how the next chapter will unfold, but we do know that Steve Scott will be the one to tell the story ... and we're honored that The Rodder's Journal will be there to help. In the meantime, there's plenty of background that Steve is already telling right now on his Facebook page.

Visit www.facebook.com/SteveScottsUncertainT and send him a friend request. As Steve explains, "the site is for fans of the 'Uncertain-T', hot rods, and model kits only" ... so be sure to tell him that we sent you ... because he doesn't let just anyone in. You'll be amazed by what you learn, and Steve will be thrilled to hear from you. Be sure to stay tuned, because we'll have more on this story in a future issue of The Rodder's Journal.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Thank you,for bringing this icon back to enjoy once more,there are some very talanted artistis on this board that could do your T-shirts justice,friday art show is a good place to start

9. Misspelling of my Facebook site:

It's: Facebook com / SteveScottsUncertainT

See you there!

10. Me, too. I don't care for FB either. I'll let you know when I have a real website online.

11. Wrong! That's why you haven't been able to find me! ...I AM the butler! LOL!

Thanks!

Steve

12. Thanks Rocky. Yes, I'm having fun, but it's also A LOT OF WORK... as in 28/10... like 24/7 on steroids!

Thanks!

Steve

13. Hey Hemi32... THANKS for posting the excellent write-up by The Rodder's Journal!

HEMI32 likes this.
  14. A "Missing Person":

Does anybody know a model builder named Dave Wentzel? He lives/lived somewhere near New Jersey.

Thanks!

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Steve,I had that model years ago.Wish I still had it.You made alot of us happy with that car.It was a realy cool concept. Wish I had seen it in person. Thanks !

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I started this post in May of 05...Seven years ago... and I think we may have actually found Steve Scott.

I still cant understand why it seems to be impossible to post a picture of the car as it currently exists. (if it still exists).

Hopefully the staff at TRJ will get this accomplished.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  17. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Took me a long time to acquire this kit.They pop on ebay from time to time.And they're not cheap!
    Myron_

[​IMG]

18. Theres 3 of them on the bay now, 32$ to 300 $.

19. wahoo54

wahoo54
    from Oklahoma

I remember seeing this car in the mags when I was growing up and always loved the heck out of it. Through the years I kind of forgot about it and when I saw it on here it just floored me. Man what a car. It inspires me again only now I've got someplace to work on something and a few tools so maybe I'll get busy! Thanks Steve.

20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He didn't say it was impossible. He simply choses not to show the car in its current state. Makes sense to me.

21. I thought to Steve Scott and I gotta believe you have nothing but the best interest of the history of the car at heart this car is truly a piece of automotive history definitely a part of our culture

22. There's a Dave Wentzel, 80 years old in Jersey.......Spokeo is your friend......

23. - I hope you get to see it in person again. It might happen.

24. Hi Chaz,

1 - Alan Gilkey was the winner for finding me, way back on 11/13/06. Unfortunately, not that many believed him. Heck... I believed him! LOL! :)

2 - As for "I think we may have actually found Steve Scott" recently... nobody found me. I found myself. But that was pretty easy since I always knew where I was, as well as did several "true believers" in addition to Alan Gilkey, such as my very good friends Dave Pedegana in Oregon, Chuck Darnell in Illinois, the legendary Chris Ito in Illinois and Dan Stoner of Autocult in California; as well as Tim Nolan, Paul Canney and a few others.

3 - It's very simple why there aren't any photos of "The Uncertain-T". As everybody knows now, a good friend of mine in California acquired it MANY years ago during one of the many very difficult times in my life. He lives in Northern California, and I've lived in Hawaii for the past 10 years, and it's a very long drive :)

He intends to restore it, and is VERY qualified for doing so. Hopefully that time is getting nearer. I'll definitely tell everyone when it starts happening.

4 - As for "Hopefully the staff at TRJ will get this accomplished". Geoff, Curt and Steve didn't FIND me... I found them. When this "gets accomplished"... by me... they will most certainly be one of the first to know. I hold them all in very high regard, not just for their very high quality publication and reporting, but also especially for how much I TRUST them.

All I can say is... Stay tuned. After over 40 years, what's the rush :)

All The Best!

Steve

25. Hey Myron. It looks like you're on your way with it. Let me know when it's finished and I'll be sure to feature it on my new real website that should have online by that time.

All The Best!

Steve

26. - Hey chainsaw! There's also now one of my ORIGINAL color litho prints that I discovered in a thrilling "old file cabinet find" yesterday. Go to ebay and search on: original uncertain print

As I'm writing this, it just moved up to $36.00!

And... to help me raise money to buy very high quality equipment for making excellent photo reproductions of all my photos and prints, etc.; I'm going to put one of my ONLY TWO remaining absolutely MINT kits on ebay tonight! I will sign it however the winning bidder wants, and will include a "Certificate of Authenticity" that it's actually one of MY original kits. I think it might go for over the $300 that you mentioned.

Thanks for reporting on what's what on ebay.

All The Best!

Steve

27. Hi "Grenade Inspector" wahoo54! Thanks very much for the compliments! I hope you enjoy the ride!

And I hope you are able to create something that's just right for you. All my good wishes go with you!

All The Best!

Steve

28. You tell 'em pwschuh! :)

Thanks for the much appreciated support!

All The Best!

Steve

29. - Hi meatball! You got it right! That's why I created it back in the '60s, and it's just as true today: "If it's worth doing... it's worth doing RIGHT!"

All The Best!

Steve

30. That's all for today. Catch ya all again soon...

Steve