Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Crazy story. Wow.

els likes this.
  2. I was there. Thanks for sharing!

els likes this.
  3. Anyone remember this car? I can't remember his name but I think it was Jim -he went to Sunnyslope HS.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  4. I just heard the damm light rail is going to claim another place of speed history, Wilky's Machine Shop is being torn down for a park and ride in the next phase of it.

els likes this.
  5. noresore

noresore
    from Peoria, AZ

Roadrunners were never in the NHL - WHL and WHA. After the WHA folded they had a shot at IHL and other minor leagues but once Winnepeg came to Phoenix, the Roadrunners faded into memory.

Remember from the WHL days the Go-Go line of Larry Lund, Andre Hinse and Frank Hughes?

I can't remember the goalies name but he owned a bar on Glendale Ave just west of 19th Ave. on the south side (his first name was Rick).

BTW, was your uncle Al MacLeod from the WHA teams?

els likes this.
  6. Ricks? I remember the building but not the name -

els likes this.
  7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

AAAAWWWWW Fuck! Not Wilky's! That damn worthless choo choo to nowhere has so deeply screwed up my neighborhood down town, it's pittiful. Wilky's is just bitchin' to walk into. A total time warp. I try to stop in and buy something everytime I'm in the area. Hell, then Pete's is right across the street, too!

els likes this.
  8. Is that the shop that was across the street from PUHS?

els likes this.
  9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, as far as I know it has always been at the corner of Mesa drive and Main in Mesa. Cool old place though. It reminds me of my dad's Snelling store when I was a little kid in St. Paul. Same smells, same stuff on the floor for sale and waiting for pickup.

els likes this.
  10. Nik_62Chevy

Nik_62Chevy
    from Phoenix

Hey guys, hardly ever check this forum. I'm Jack Stewarts grandson. He raced his 55' and also as Running Bare in his Chevy II, and our great family friend raced as Krazy Horse in his 41' Willys. I'm currently building my own 62' Chevy II. Wish I was alive back then!

els likes this.
  11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Welcome, I found your pics on another forum and even posted a couple somewhere on this site.

els likes this.
  12. Nik_62Chevy

Nik_62Chevy
    from Phoenix

Awesome thanks!

els likes this.
  13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Feel free to post them here if you wish, or any other local car stuff from the old days. Also, whatever happened to the original Krazy Horse car and when did Bill start the second one?

els likes this.
  14. Nik_62Chevy

Nik_62Chevy
    from Phoenix

No problemo. I'm not sure exactly when Krazy Horse II came about, but I do know they changed the "Krazy" to "Crazy" in the name, and painted it white. Last time I saw it when I was a kid it still had the original poppy red interrior. Here's some pics I have off-hand of Both my Grandfather Jack, and Terry Ruley...

Jack in his 55'
    [​IMG]

Jack in the staging lanes with Running Bare
    [​IMG]

Jack launching in Running Bares Early Days
    [​IMG]

Running Bare with its new hood after the old one flew off
    [​IMG]

Terry in Krazy Horse
    [​IMG]

Terry in his 1st Willys for B&B Auto Parts
    [​IMG]

Terry Staging
    [​IMG]

One of Jacks Many Jackets (Has a TON of trophys too)
    [​IMG]

Terry Wrenching on Krazy Horse
    [​IMG]

Terry Launching
    [​IMG]

Terry Again
    [​IMG]

Jacks Running Bare
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    els likes this.
  15. Nik_62Chevy

Nik_62Chevy
    from Phoenix

I forgot to mention my Grandfather (Jack Sr.), just bought an all original, unmolested factory V8 65' Barracuda, and has a 49' Studebaker Champion. Along with me and my Chevy II, him and his new 'Cuda, and my Dad and his Chevelle, we should all be out playing at the track or visiting the Pavillions with our street cars soon. Back in the 90's Jack Sr. actually had a 2.0 Turbo 84' vw Rabbit that ran an 11.02 quarter, beating the 11.89 his Chevy II ran with its "292" C.I. He's 81 years old now, but is in the same shape he was in his 30's, and is mentally as sharp as a knife. Very proud grandson here, glad to be able to share the pics!

els likes this.
  16. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

You may be thinking about Al's Speed Shop. about 4th street and Van Buern.. right next to PUHS

els likes this.
  17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

"...a few Chevy II guys on here as well, got a '64 sedan myself" He says nonchalantly! No, he has one of the coolest Chevy IIs I have ever seen!

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I don't know about that.:rolleyes: Thanks for the pic, have some on my camera but the computer seems to think there already on it, can't find em anywhere. Will be a bit taller an have a 4 speed pretty soon.

els likes this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Nik, might be the dumbest question ever asked, but do you know where the color picture of the Willys was taken? It look eerily like the street up form me on Vernon and 3rd st.

els likes this.
  21. Nik_62Chevy

Nik_62Chevy
    from Phoenix

Thanks guys. Louvers no question's too dumb, my folks said the color picture of the Willys was taken around 31st ave and Polk, in West Phoenix around 1966-67. LandSeaAir nice Sedan! I like the stance. My 62's a sedan as well. My cell's not letting me upload pics right now so i'll post some of it tomorrow from work.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    els likes this.
  22. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I owned the first Krazy Horse car, I have a picture of it somewhere when I had it. Back then, Willys coupes were not worth very much back in the 70's.I hate to say the car was parted out. The doors went on another coupe I had. The trunk lid area was cut out and put into a 37/38 willys coupe I had because someone cut that trunk out and made a pickup out of it. Not sure you know Bert Flecter,but that trunk lid area is in his car to this day.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  23. Nik_62Chevy

Nik_62Chevy
    from Phoenix

ssaza25, thanks for that info! I'm glad it went to help other people in the Willys community. Terry originally bought it from a local farmer. I'm glad I don't have to save up to buy the original car back from somebody now. Anyone know what happened to Running Bare? I know my grandfather sold it the same time as Terry did back in the 70's for next to nothing. LandSeaAir here's a couple cell phone pics of my deuce, I tell everyone it's Running Bare II lol. I still need to put the front trim back on, and do the interior, but it's getting close to cruizin'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Pretty sure I know Bert, his car is sky blue. Sad to hear about KHs demise but as you said, back then they were just another old race car.

els likes this.
  25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice!

els likes this.
  26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  27. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Bodi's new bumper sticker http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707062&highlight=bodi&page=5 had me reading a bit and old Barry had some toys of his own.

Barris built Jag.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Barry_Goldwater's_1953_Jaguar

He was also a military pilot and had a black '55 T Bird that was loaded with enough dials and gizmos that it resembled an aircraft cockpit inside. Sorry no pics.

Here's one more. An AMX he named spot.
    hrdp_1204_05_collier_amc_dealership_the_living_dead_.jpg
    http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/hrdp_1204_collier_amc_dealership_the_living_dead/viewall.html

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    els likes this.
  28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  29. Thanks for the link, good pics but, yes, they are all backwards. It makes it look like someplace else.

els likes this.
  30. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    els likes this.