Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Hearse followed me home.... But I'm going to be ok !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t6ford, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

I do remember seeing a '46-'48 Ford ambulance/combination by Siebert here in Tulsa years ago made from a stretched sedan....

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Neat find.Looking good.Years ago a friend bought an old hearse and turned it into a camper.He and his wife have had much fun with it and in it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That sure is something else.Just wondering,where the gas tank is located?
    Looks like there is not much room for that because of the wood.

4. Hearses only made short trips........ :D

5. Gas tank is out at present , is meant to be fitted under the floor behind rear axle.
    Currently running on a lawn mower gas can on the passengers floor :D

6. Hey , great to finally meet you on Saturday Marty , sorry we didn't have more time to yarn .

I fired it up again tonight after work and the little old Flattie seems to be "waking up" so I reckon if I put some signs in the rear side windows ( " CORONER") I might get away with a road test to the Bombay's and back . Pretty certain all it needs is a decent run .

Fitted a set of baby moon caps and gave it a wash tonight, looking better already .

7. Just the wooden mounts for the rollers and one or two very small pieces of wood used as tack strips to attach some of the upholstery .

8. We've been told that the owner we purchased from ( now deceased ) bought it as having been used as a hearse . I'm hoping that as the family work through his office/paperwork more of it's history will be available.

Thanks for the links , I'll add whatever history/info we find here . Thanks also for your PM regarding parts - much appreciated .

9. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Family car maybe? Awesome no matter what you call it!

10. raymay

raymay

Certainly very different but definitely very cool. Best of luck on your build. I like it.

11. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Thanks for the links , I'll add whatever history/info we find here . Thanks also for your PM regarding parts - much appreciated .

.[/QUOTE]

Not a drama, will keep you posted on the PM's !...keep us updated with pics as she comes along ! :D

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that is a bitchen looking ride. it is interesting the rear upper window does not lift like a normal station wagon, maybe it could be converted to make it more practical for the wife. either way, heavily lowered with a set of wide whites and hubcaps would look cool.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man, That's cool!

14. Did it come with those BLUEDOT TAILIGHT LENS :rolleyes:? I have been into and owned SHOEBOXES since high school in the early 1960's and I have never seen anything like that. What a cruiser!
    The antique (AACA) car shows do not allow funeral cars, so I have been told and I don't remember ever seeing one at any AACA meet. They think it might upset the spectators :eek: ?

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

As my Grandson would say...."SICK"
    That will make an awesome ShoeBox fershure !!
    Cheers...and keep us in pics on progress..

16. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

That thing is beyond cool. Good on your wife for actually wanting to drive that thing. My fiancee is so afraid of ghosts she'd bolt in the opposite direction if she knew there had ever been a dead body in any of my cars. She even went so far as to ask our realtor if anyone had died in the house we're currently in contract to buy.

17. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

One more photo bomb...this one is from Young in NZ..ambulance..but hey..some say tomato...DIG that wheel well.

[​IMG]

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

19. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

20. Rear side glass fitted , repaired hood latch , set of nos Moon caps and it's first wash in probably 20 years .

[​IMG]

21. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

22. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Words can not express how jealous I am! Very cool ride!

23. Way cool. The workin man's hearse.

24. Haha ! Michelle said to tell you " She's Dying to put some miles on it!"

25. noboD

noboD

That thing's crazy. Blows any Caddy hearse away!!

26. Gromit

Gromit

That's just so cool. don't do a thing!
    'cept drive it. You should build a roll out "pine box" to put the groceries in on those shopping trips :)

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Glad it followed you home instead of delivering you somewhere else!! :D

I've got some headlight rings if you're interested!

28. I'd love to see a guy clone that, adjust the proportions just a bit, you could probably pass it off as a factory one-off and nobody would know the difference.

29. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Lookn great...the only time in history people have added to a four door instead of chopping and taking away. Hope you blow the cobwebs outa that flatty...

30. Been trying to ! Have been out on the highway ( Wifey got first drive - HER car :) ) and discovered a really nasty vibration in the driveline. I pulled the driveshaft and spun it up in a lathe.... It's all over the place like an old lady at a Christening!

New one being built now , looking forward to the next test drive now .