Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craigslist valve grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Found an old Sioux 624 valve grinder on craigslist up in Manhatten KS for $75. Nosurf picked it up for me. Thanks buddy!!! It cleaned up great. It could use a new belt to drive the valve chuck but everything is tight and she works fine. I do have the pickup pan for the cutting oil and the shield but took them off to clean.

Now to find seat grinder stuff. Any of you have an old setup you'd part with reasonably? My dear wife reminded me it's Christmas time and I shouldn't be spending but now that I've started this.. ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. F&J

F&J

I have not checked my model number, but it sure looks exactly like mine. I am slightly pissed about the design. I do REAL old cars, stuff in the 20s, teens, and older, with really long valves compared to newer valves, and it won't take a long valve!

I figured it was old enough, so I never checked when I found it at a swap. Paid same price, or maybe 60?

Bought the entire seat setup, same brand but much older, for $50 2 years prior, with the dresser, motor, mandrels, tons of pilots reamers etc.

3. F&J

F&J

by the way; I don't see the coolant tray? It goes in that "opening" under the front. If missing, bend one up from tin, or cut up a plastic tray..

4. Yeah, I do have them. Just took them off to clean.

So do you have a spare seat grinder and goodies you'd part with cheap?

5. F&J

F&J

Wrong time of year, but I see them at swaps and hardly anybody wants valve tools anymore. So, they tend to go cheap. But make sure it's complete, with mandrels that fit the pilots, and fit the motor...and make sure the stone dresser is there.

I'd try C/L local. If you could set up some sort of "app" to do a weekly search within 100 miles or so? Stuff is out there going for cheap, if you have time to search.

6. Snoxrider85

Snoxrider85

Check out Goodson.com they will have everything you need for that old girl. I have an old black and Becker and they have helped me out.

7. noboD

noboD

Buy a Neway seat cutter, better then grinding. Nice find on the valve grinder.

8. Hates Chrome

Hates Chrome
    from Iowa

9. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

-I've got an old Van Dorn No. 6 grinder, their pretty much top-of-the-line from (best guess) the late 40s. It not only has a air-closer workhead with it's own motor, but a hollow spindle that can take valves of any length. Not only that, but valves of up to a 1-1/4" shaft diameter.

Unfortunately, I have just one collet, and they're virtually impossible to find.

I'm told that this is one of the few, if not the only, valve grinder than can do flat-faced valves, too. (Where the sealing surface is 90 degrees from the stem axis.)

Doc.

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

Glad to help!

11. Jimv

Jimv

Thats in really nice shape! Good score.
    JimV

12. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

X2! Once you use Neway cutters you'll wonder why people still grind 'em in.

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Can you swap to a different chuck or move the chuck holder assembly outboard so you can turn long valves?

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have the larger "oil" version, model number 645. It has a larger base with a lip around the top to catch and return the oil to an external tank & pump. Also, the motor is centered in the back and drives more to the center in an enclosed case, and at the other end of the shaft where your motor drives it is the second grinder & clamp for dressing up the valve stems. There's also a mounted diamond cutter for dressing each stone, and a flex-mount light that can reach each side- IIRC it was made in '53