Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taboo (I guess, I don't know)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FatChrist Magic

FatChrist Magic

I think we all agree it is bad manners to ask someone in the real world how much they paid for something... but on an internet message board, why not? How else do we establish what the value of something really is? In real estate, it is necessary to have a sense of comparable value, so why would old cars be any different? It makes it very difficult to value old cars if all we have to go on is list price and Barrett Jackson auctions.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three things I don't discuss with strangers or 'casual' friends: politics, religion or how much I paid for anything. It's rude to ask and nobody's f'ng business ! Few things piss me off as much as some rude clod coming up to me and the first thing out of their mouth is "How much is it worth............"

3. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Bad manners............or at least down South...It's a Southern Respect thing........but even down here we have nosey people who just have to know..........we call them Yankees.....hehehehe.......just kidding

4. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Because it's still bad manners ... even here!

5. thedreamer

thedreamer

I work with two guys that are in two different departments and one I grew up with. They both act as if it is a status thing. It never fails. If anyone in the shop buys something the first question they ask is how much. To some people that may not be an issue but its the way they come accross when saying it. Real snobbish sounding. They are also not afraid to let you know what they paid for something like everyone is going to kneel down and bask in there awesomeness. It is like someone said earlier, with the guy I grew up with I just give him a bull shit answer just to screw with him and he knows it. I don't care if someone is polite about it and maybe starts with " If you don't mind me asking? What did you have to give for that?" I will usually tell. My dad always said "If a Texas cattle rancher wanted you to know how many head of cattle he had he would tell you."

6. When people ask How much did you pay for it? My reply, More than its worth.

7. flathead okie

flathead okie

Well, I buy alot of stuff at the scrap yard. Sometimes I paid scrap value, sometimes less. When I buy a car, and someone asks how much I paid I tell 'em. I don't care if they know and I don't care if they think I paid too much. Same as when I sell a car. It doesn't bother me. Some people are too uptight in my opinion. BUT I don't ask what someone gave for what they bought, if I'm interested I'll ask how much they'll sell it for.

8. i just dont want to.simple as that.because i do a LOT of scrounging,borrowing,dealing with ppl to get my parts or things dont.my car may have only costed x...but the next guy might pay xx to make the same thing.pluss i do all of the metal work.thats expensive stuff in shops

9. Where is Nashvegas?

10. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Don't ask ,Don't tell ;)

11. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Usually when a person gets a good or great deal on something and post's up their good fortune... others can tend to get a little selfish and self centered I have found those that trash on the subject are usually the first in line looking for the same deal and are bit jealous when someone else gets the score they whish they have had found... Not everyone is this way but some are, I usually like to just say Great Score!!

12. Muttley

Muttley

Yep. I couldnt care less if people ask me what I payed for something and if they do I'll tell them.

13. I was tired of being ripped on for making big profits on stuff I didn't pay much for, a long time ago. Lot of assholes out there I'd just as soon not waste time hearing from, acting like damn communists going on about how profit is evil. So all you need to know is what price you're paying for it -

14. A corollary to this is fuel mileage..."What mileage does that big 'ol gas hog get?" or similar...MY answer to that is always "What, you offering to fill the tank?"

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

This is directed at people in general not an attack on the OP

Don't ask me.......
    my religion or lack of
    how much I make
    who I vote for
    or how much I paid or sold for anything.
    It's wrong headed to be a nosy parker.

If I feel you need to know, and I don't, then you will be told.

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

We (The Parmer family) usally tell folk what we have in our builds so others can see there is still a chance to build a fun ride,
    I have no shame! :D
    If i can make the younger guys/gals feel it's possible to do the same --our hobby continues on after we're gone!

17. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I wouldn't have a problem posting my price for something. If I paid too much for it, then somebody on here (and we all know who they are) would be happy to give me all the trash they could because i overpaid of something stupid like that. Then, I've learned from that experience and now have a cost evaluation as to my next purchase or sell that I may have. That's pretty much the reason I posted, was to get a gauge for the cost reflection that others could learn from.

I LOVE THAT QUOTE!!! Great character. A very good movie.

Uh yeah, we see where that got us. Served for 8 yrs from 1986-94 in US NAVY as Corpsman and this was just not an issue then.

Thanks, that is the direction I was going for when I posted. That's pretty much what I was intending to get across.

Believe me, I do not need a lesson on manners. My father and mother made sure of that one. The lectures from my mother and the lessons (whippins) from my daddy. Again, i'm 44 and he's 66...he would have no problem bustin me in the mouth for disrespecting someone.

18. Age old saying......If you have to ask , you probably can;t afford it..

19. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

So much for your last sentence in first post. Must be a lot of people paying way too much for there stuff and really embarrased about it....Happy Motoring....

20. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Thanks Bootlegger. that kind of nonsense doesn't bother me. I've met people like that all my life, especially everytime I go to the DMV. Bitterness is the devil's sugar. I love this site and the knowledge that comes with it. If it makes them feel better to project their anger towards me, then hey...I'm good with that. At least they won't project it to people in their own lives.

21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

If the buyer is ok with the deal, then it was the right price. I'd hesitate to say how much I paid, given that I may end up selling for some unforeseen reason.

Happy Hunting !!!!!!
    4TTRUK

22. ricky lyons

ricky lyons

your car looks real good Bo! Ricky

23. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Im always willing to tell the people that seem like they would like to know. Even when they dont ask because it seems like they are afraid to. I think it makes people more willing to try and restore a car knowing how little I spend on them. Even though im in the minority and most people spend way more than they should.

24. LongT

LongT

I once posted what I paid on here. One response was a very condescending - "For What?" and went on the say they could have built it for 1/2 that. Or something along those lines anyway. Oh well good for them!

I am curious about what some of the barn finds cost though.

25. eppster

eppster

I told a friend once what I paid for car. A year ,or so, later he tried to buy the car from me. I quoted him what I thought was a fair price considering all I'ld done to the car. The first words out of his mouth, " Well you only paid $????.?? for the car ! ". I can tell you other stories but the point that now I never tell anyone what I paid for a car !

26. Since this thread has a new life,,My wife knows exactly what I have in my cars,,after all if I croak she knows what the are worth.

Now if I outlast her I'm S.O.L. because I don't have a clue what all her shoes are worth!:eek::D HRP

27. I had deal that was great, but put it this way.. I would give a big middle finger to a couple guys on Facebook named Sp*****r M., T** D. and one Mr. T**n**. These guys thought I was being unfair on the deal.... But the parties(myself and seller)involved were cool with the deal.. Keyboard Cowboys... Oh wait thats me Dubcee ! LOL

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  28. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Although it's getting MUCH better here lately, it's still sad you had to preface your post with "I'll probably get dirt thrown in my eyes" (AKA "flaming") and for a long time answers like this were the reason newbies (and others) didn't ask many questions -

But I say: :p :rolleyes: to that!!

Now, to answer your question, I too believe this is the real reason people don't want to say they paid for stuff, especially on this site -

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Not telling adds to the "mystique."

30. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

I have friends like that its double top secret because you might want to buy it ,but they are the first to ask how much.I laugh because theirs is worth its weight in gold and yours is too much ,i finally got to the point where i tell them they cant afford it and walk away its funnier that way and i dont mind telling someone how much because if you want it you pay the asking price its that simple i didnt buy it so someone else makes the money.I think its cool when someone gets a good deal lets me know their still out their and still doable on hardly no money.