Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taboo (I guess, I don't know)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, Dec 14, 2012.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Ok, so I've been around here for a while and I wanted to ask a question that will probably get dirt thrown in my eyes. I always see these "great finds, true barn finds, etc..." and I'm curious to know why nobody ever puts how much they ended up spending or trading for them. Or heck, even if they were given the car. I think I would be proud (not braggish) if I found something that was a great deal and I wanted to show the world. Not to be nosey, I just think that it makes for a better story and also in a wierd kind of way, would help those of us out who are looking to know what tin like they find would cost in the real world. Be nice guys....just a question.

2. Fenders

Fenders

They are afraid everyone will say either they paid too much, or they cheated an old widow.

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

depends...if a guy has to sell the car, he may not want to tell all how much he paid....

4. I think this is probably the case especially if they are trying to flip it

5. Because it would mostly be lies.

6. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Had a friend of mine that told me that the reason he didn't do it was because he was afraid that the "other guys on the site would think he was just like the under 3000 from another site". He said that if guys don't think you paid 10 grand for a car or got 10 grand in it, that they will jump quickly to lump you in the (insert word here) category.

7. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

A little over 5K now and a year working. Less than $500. more and I ride. Thats with the price of the car....

Attached Files:

8. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

That's what I'm talkin about bootlegger....some hope in this world today. thanks. nice ride

9. They figure it's nobody's business,,at least that's the way I think. HRP

10. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

I paid $2500. motor ran but was junk

11. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

and I can completely respect that. I never ask someone how much they have in it or how much they spent for it....
    my daddy used to say, "if you gotta ask how much it cost, then you aint got enough to buy it".

12. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

They don't want there wife to find out just what the car did cost , it's safer that way.

13. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you paid 2000 for it and it is worth 4000 they want you to sell it to them for 1900 so they can make some money on it[ so i never tell what i paid for anything]

15. first thing i did here was tell the $ been paying ever since

16. barney rubble

barney rubble

Value of what its worth is widely different as to where its located at.

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

kinda like asking how much money you make at your job ,or how your girl is in bed .....none of your damn business !!!!

18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

paid $4500.00 for my latest DD truck, my asshole friend says "What did you pay for it, $1500.00?" (he really thought that was all it was worth) I told him I got it for $1200.00. thought that would be nicer than saying fuck you mind your own business.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Simple, it's none of your damn business. There's no reason for you to know.

21. it sure would be fun to know!
    but, i think it's just one of those things that is meant to remain a mystery.
    i will say this, i paid $4,800 total for the four cars i own now.
    it is nice to know "regular" people can still buy and own old cars.

22. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

oooh, somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed....haha

23. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

and i refer you to my post in #11

24. 2935ford

2935ford

In the same vain.....do you post what you paid and or sold each of your cars for here?

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Now... GET OFF MY LAWN! Damn kids.

26. Model T1

Model T1

Well now! I agree with everyone. It would be nice to know what some guys paid for those deals they mention yet it ain't none of our damned business.
    Yea git offin my lawn ya damned nosey punk!
    :D

27. Bounder

Bounder

Well the way to solve the problem is just not say anything about something you bought. Don't tell me about it if you don't want to say what you paid for it. It would be nice to know what folks paid but if it causes them problems let em keep it to themselves.

28. It's really nobody's business what someone pays for a car, truck, house, or anything else. Asking someone what they've paid for anything is simply bad manners. If someone feels they need to share that info, more power to them. I don't inquire, and I expect people to grant me the same courtesy.

29. belair

belair

It's bad manners. You don't ask a guy how many cows he has, how much land he owns, or how much he's worth. Sic 'em, Fred.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, Even though I did post what I paid for my rust bucket Model A Victoria when I bought it it's really no one else's business what you paid or have in a car unless he is your insurance agent. I've mentioned a few times that the main thing that burned me out on taking my truck anywhere ten years ago was the constant barrage of "what's it worth" by people who's only interest in hot rods is their cash value. 40 years ago it was fun when 10 year olds looked in at your dash and yelled to their buddies "hey this one will go 140". In those days it was all about how fast your hot rod was and not how much it cost to buy, build or was worth.