Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Aerial photos taken between 1999 and 2003 show the Motel was leveled sometime in between those dates. There is a large building near US 15 that remains. Is that where Automobilorama was located on the property?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found this ad in the October 1964 issue ad Golfdom Magazine about the Golf Course being built. I think it was down next to the Turnpike

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

My Grandfather Joe Ida's Tucker Dealership in Yonkers NY 1947

Attached Files:

3. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Was this 1947 or 1948? I notice the sign in the window promoting a Tucker being on site August 16, 17 & 18. If it were 1947 it would have had to be to Tin Goose as no other cars were built yet. If it were 1948, Tucker #1001 was in that area at that time. Do you have any photos of a Tucker at the dealership?

4. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

His dealership was one of the few that saw two cars. The Tin Goose rolled through in 1947 and then a production rolled through in 1948 when my Grandfather drove it in a parade in NYC with the Rockefellers.

5. noboD

noboD

Tf48, I'm going to go with I don't know. I thought the musuem was in the building that runs parallel to rt.15, which is still there last I drove by there. Let me check on that.

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

From reading this entire thread it seems there were a lot of Tucker dealerships, but few Tuckers. How many dealers were set up? What was the cost of a Dealership? Any numbers?

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

You are correct about that. There were over 2,000 Tucker Dealers. The cost of a dealership was around $5,000. Many made a downpayment and chose to pay the balance over time by signing a contract with the Tucker Corporation. This would prove to be costly for many.

Only 50 Tuckers were built. 51 if you count the first all hand built car. Since this was a new company and an entirely new car, they knew there would be some bugs to work out. Basically each was a prototype. After each car was built they began driving and testing them. As problems were reported they would be corrected on the next car. This is why almost every car has some minor changes from the ones built before it.

Unfortunately, bad press and continued delays on starting production caused investors and dealers to push the company into bankruptcy before full production ever began.

What the dealers did not realize is that the bankruptcy trustees now held all their contract notes and even though Tuckers would never be delivered to their dealerships, the trustees intended to collect on all the notes. This turned into several major court cases and in the end the trustees won. Many dealers ended up paying thousands years later for a dealership that never delivered a car. The courts collected this money well into the 1960s. This is why many old Tucker dealers don't want to talk about Tuckers. A lot of them were even sued by car buyers that bought radios, luggage, etc. Some of them had to pay that money back as well.

The Tucker case is an interesting study in a lot more ways than the car itself.

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Almost seems like the trustees were working for the "Big 3" and wanted to prove a point to any others who may have wanted to try and be the next Preston Tucker. I can imagine once word got around how the Tucker "dealers" got the shaft from Tucker and the trustees, that anybody thinking of starting a non "big 3" dealership would think twice about it! It's crazy that they were able to still enforce the contracts with the dealers. It shows that it more than just a witch hunt for Preston Tucker himself.

Also, where were the Tucker dealerships here in Minnesota?

9. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There was less Big Three involvement than people think. The movie hyped that a lot but the Big Three were all selling parts to Tucker. There were several other automakers that were more of a threat at that time. The big problem Tucker had was that he tended to anger people if he did not get his way. This got him several enemies in Washington.

There were over 50 dealers in Minnesota. Probably the closest to you was in Columbia Heights on the corner of 40th and Central where the bank building is now.

10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Is there a list of the dealers in the state somewhere?
    Did many dealers (nationwide) get to the point of having signage and the works, or were most a small repair garage or gas station that just hung up a banner stating they were a Tucker dealer??

11. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There is not really a list anywhere. I've just put mine together after years of research.

As far as how dealerships looked, it was a mixed bag. Some were small service stations. Others built huge showrooms. Many buildings were not finished until after the company failed. Many converted to other makes. Some owners never recovered.

12. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

This is a check that my Grandfather received years after the closing of the Tucker Corp. Check the date!

Attached Files:

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Seems that people wouldn't have been permitted to simply claim to be Tucker dealers, awaiting the product. Wouldn't they have had to BUY a franchise agreement, which would have included a company-authorized "shingle," so to speak?

14. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

I've seen the actual Tucker Corporation book listing all of the dealers. I even found my Grandfather's franchise agreement. Its currently in the Dave Cammack Collection

15. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Yes, each dealer bought a dealership. There was no standard for what each had to look like as far as size and shape. They did all have to use company approved forms and follow procedures setup by Tucker.

Tucker had an approved logo and did sell some window decals. They just never got far enough along to get their dealers all looking pretty. As I mentioned earlier, many dealerships were not even completed before the company failed.

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I don't believe Dave's book has all the dealers but it is probably close. After the plant closed the records became a bit of a mess. At the time who would have thought anyone would care 60+ years later? Dave rescued much of it after the "dump" refused to take all the blueprints.

17. cruse was '06 for sure. i've only been once. labor day weekend auburn in. i bought my 57 chevy that weekend and saw a tucker again. it was a big weekend for me. they where anouncing all week end over the P.A. system that it was at gate one, on display only and it was dean cruse's personal car. for the life of me i can't remember what color.

the green one might have been from detriot now that you brought it up. he was a young guy (i'd say under 30) real pleasant to talk to. i asked him if he any more rare cars, he said he had another tucker at home. i could be wrong about the year, could be a little earlier than 96. it was a long time ago. i was thinking i had my first "show" car there, but , it's possible it could have been before that. the car was on the show flyer. they advertised it alot.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Good, thorough answer, man. Thanks!:)

19. noboD

noboD

Tucker Fan, a friend says the motel is what was torn down. The building by rt. 15 is where the museum was and is still there as I thought. When the musuem closed it was an indoor antique mall. It is now used as an office building.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

22. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Thanks for the information. I thought that might be the building but it looks quite new on the exterior. They must have done a refurb on the exterior.

23. ALLISON

ALLISON

This is a very awesome thread.. been a Tucker/Tremulis fan since I was a kid and this thread is packed full of info i didnt know.. I have nothing of importance to add but thought anyone into Tuckers might like to see my ruff concept for a coupe.

[​IMG]

24. noboD

noboD

If you come to the AACA fall meet I will drive you there.

25. Well,

I can vouch for at least one green Tucker being around the Detroit area- my dad is in the orange shirt taking the picture 'under the hood'. This is from a show in Ypsilanti, picture credit is the Ann Arbor News.

[​IMG]

JK

26. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

That would be Tucker #1038 taken in June of 2008 at the Tucker Club convention in Ypsilanti. Note many of the same people in the photo below.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Merry Christmas to Everyone

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. reborn55

reborn55

Merry Christmas---great thread

29. Not sure where I found this pic - hope it's not a re-post. I don't have any info on it.

[​IMG]

30. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Is this what those who bought a dealership recieved to get their parts department started along with the promise of as many cars as they could sell??? :)