Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oakmckinley, Dec 4, 2012.

1. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Hi

I am installing some new leaf springs on my Fairlane, and my question is, is it normal to just bolt it back up like in the photo below? (example photo, not my set-up)
    Should there be any rubber something in there between the springs and the axle spring pad? This is my first time installing leaf springs and what came off looked like it had some sort of rubber something?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I've worked on a lot of cars in the past 50 years & I've seen them with & without pads. It might make a difference in the amount of road noise you get through the frame.

3. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Forgot to mention that I cut & use tire side walls for my pads between the spring & rearend housing.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

car just for regular street use? getting springs from a general parts place or a place that makes springs? if spring builder ask their recommendation. as stated some have end pads or anti-squeek material between leaves. never hurts to spray some white grease between leaves before lowering car back down. use jack stands, etc - safety first.

5. I just bought some last week for my 64 fairlane from Mac's Auto Parts www.macsautoparts.com

I think it was called an insulator or something.

6. As luck would have it I ordered 4 instead of 2. Must have been drinking.

Anyway, if you want them let me know and they are yours. Merry Christmas.

Attached Files:

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Pretty sure any car that used a rubber insulator had it wrapped in some sort of clamshell. If not the U bolts would never stay tight.

Ford
    [​IMG]

GM
    DSC04748.jpg

If no shell, just bolt them up direct.

8. If he doesn't go for them ill take you up on that offer. Assuming they'd fit a '62 as well

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Ditto^^^^^^^^

10. kennb

kennb

Either way is okay (insulators or not). I hope you're not supporting that car on cinder blocks. Use jack stands, cinder blocks like to crumble apart. A guy in my area was killed using them to support his car a few years back. WORK SAFE Ken

11. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Mine did have the clam shells. They where pretty far gone though. So your saying I don't need to use the clams.

12. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Actually now that I am thinking about it and looking at the picture. The bolt holes for the spring plate are set for around the clams, and if I dont use some sort of clamshell will the springs move around?

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Not if their nice and tight and there is a pin or bolt to go into a hole in the perch.

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

You will have to hold the U bolts and plates straight till everything gets pretty snug and then tighten each nut a bit at a time till they are all tight. A little WD40 helps too.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Also should be tightened with a torque wrench after initial snugging with that impact...
    The stretch that is necessary to keep tension on the 'U' bolts is attained with smooth torque, on lightly oiled threads.

16. rickl

rickl

Oak, I just bolted the leafs directly to the spring perches without any rubber insulators. This was an OT 60's car. No problems. I do have a pair of the 'clams' for my 46 but not sure if I'll use them. I'm still trying to figure out the rear end/leafs/hangers/perches/...

Since we are close, PM me if you want to try 'em.

17. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Thank you, I will keep you in mind.