Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Mad for Speed – Joan Newton Cuneo: Author Elsa A. Nystrom has written for us a great overview with wonderful photos of her upcoming book on Cuneo, the first American woman racing driver. She was an extraordinary woman who in 1910, even set a women’s speed record of 112mph on the Long Island Motor Parkway in the Pope-Hartford Hummer. See it on The Old Motor.

[​IMG]

3. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Well, I seriously doubt that John Boyd and John Boling were one and the same person! See: http://www.winfield.50megs.com/Hutch_Nationals/Fair/15Sep1919.htm.

There are four or five other races in my records where both were entered and raced. That said, they definitely had a very similar background: both were Native Americans, from Oklahoma and later lived in Indianapolis. Both also had a sizeable gap in their respective careers: I have Boling racing from 1916 to '23, and then again from '28 to '31, while Boyd raced from 1918 to '20, and then '29 to '31.

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

5. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

It is interesting that Boyd & Boling were Native Americans. Great information. Thanks Michael!

6. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Not sure if these are re-posts, but I thought these covers from Scientific American were interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

The Farman 1923 A6A Super – Sport: This interesting streamlined design was built by the Farman company of France and was introduced in 1919 at the Paris Salon. The model A6, carried with a 6.6 liter six – cylinder engine, with an ohc cylinder head driven by a vertical shaft and bevel gears and a stated 200 b.h.p.

The company stated that it was one of two racing cars of this model they built. Does anyone have any knowledge of if they actually were raced ? We have a very interesting post about it filled with photos @ The Farman 1923 A6A Super – Sport | The Old Motor

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

What are the grab handles for? Are you sure that isn't a fancy casket?

9. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Regardless of the grab handles y have great admiration for all the "odd balls" who put together all the peculiar, "funny", cars,Farman 1923 A6A Super included, and permit me to place my hero Mr. John Christie at the top of the list. Without them we would not be today where we are in automobiles.

10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The grab handles are probably plank fenders.

11. I agree with Banjeaux....I think I can even make out the shadow of the fender on the bodywork.

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you look close there are no doors only the rear

13. noboD

noboD

That's what I was seeing, Bluto. And the back is the trunk, David had posted a picture of it open. Has two spares in it. Good looking car!!

14. ehdubya

ehdubya

David also posted a picture of a woman entering a single gullwing type door on the right with a hinged section of the fender flipped up. I agree it would make a fine casket.

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I think the "funeral directors" car is really neat, take a few minutes to look at the rest of the photos before you condemn it as it is quite interesting. Anyone know anything about the other Farman racing cars ???

[​IMG]

16. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Recently we were able to find and post an article from the Sept. 26, 1912, Automobile Magazine, titled “The World’s Greatest Racing Car”. Since then we have found the location of many of the original photos of the 1912 engine, that were used in the magazine article. Because the DOHC Peugeot is such a famous and well known car, the photos have all been posted on The Old Motor so you can study the interesting construction in detail, as these photos are much clearer.

The photos above and below show just how good they are, on The Old Motor we have 11 more that you are sure if find of interest.

[​IMG]

17. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

T-Head those are some terrific photos, thanks for sharing. I wonder what other gems are waiting to be found in those French archives.

Great Score!

18. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Glad you enjoyed them as they are very special. This photo shows the early five plain main bearing lower crankcase. The later ones have have three ball bearing mains. See the rest of the photos here.

[​IMG]

19. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Here are some wild French road cars I found with interesting coach work.

20. ebtm3

ebtm3

David,

Thanks for all the GREAT pix. If someone told me about that triple Berline, I would assume that they had been sampling far too much vin--but there it is

Herb Kephart

PS- sent you a reply by Email to a question you asked at the PM site--nothing important, just wondering if you ever got it?

21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Herb, I did and thanks for sending it, good to hear you are doing OK.

Isn't that French coach work wild??

22. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

I spent a fair amount of time last night exploring that data base of material. I found a magazine called "Tres Sport" that had a feature article from 1925 on Rene Thomas, and a wicked Delage. Check it out:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5858409w.image.langFR.r=indianapolis 500

I also found an article in a different publication dating from 1897 on Chevrolet and his Gladiator bicycle.

Damn, I wish I knew how to read French.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

After a long race I guess you were good friends with your riding mechanic. Bob [​IMG]

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what a great haul! wonder how much fun a 3D printer would be for christmas.

just sayin'...

http://www.zcorp.com/en/Solutions/Castings--Patterns--Molds/spage.aspx

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

I wonder what Mr. T-Head could do with access to these toys...[/QUOTE]

It's unthinkable.........we would all be driving new Mercers....

28. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Then those new Mercers would carry the same prejudice as "New" Bugattis. I like the current number of old Mercers.

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

It's unthinkable.........we would all be driving new Mercers....[/QUOTE]

Then those new Mercers would carry the same prejudice as "New" Bugattis. I like the current number of old Mercers.

I agree....I only like REAL Mercers or REAL anything. Today you can also buy new Bugattis and Alfas out of South America in addition the the European ones. I have seen them and been in them. They are well done but dilute the real thing.....

We do it the old Fashioned way.....Just got these patterns in to have a new intake manifold cast for a 50 HP Simplex Speedcar we are working on.

Look for a post on The Old Motor about some of the blocks, and other castings we have had done in the past.

Attached Files:

• pat.jpg
      pat.jpg
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I admire people that go to the time and expence to make a Vintage part that allows an old car to motor down the road again. Somehow that view changes when EVERY part is remanufactured, and a clone appears. Bob