Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nothing wrong with buying done cars but just wondering how many other old guys still enjoy the welding, grinding, fabricating, laying on a piece of carpet on cold floors and generally build hot rods from the ground up?? I still love the build at 65 and wonder if other seniors enjoy it as much as I do..

2. Nearly 68, and still tinker in my shop, but a start to finish build is probably not going to happen again. I love problem solving but Arthritic knees make getting low a real difficult deal, so I do most of my work at a bench or table. I am currently restoring a Cushman scooter. Now, if I had a helper...........

3. indyjps

indyjps

Im not an old guy yet, but Ive found that a lot of old guys have purchased the cool tools that let them avoid laying on floor, or they have the experience to only do the job one time instead of multiple.
    My father is 63, restoring houses and still building cars 62-65 impalas, stock restorations, 1963 SS 409 340 hp is the current project, does his own bodywork and pays to have the paint shot in a booth. plenty of carpet scraps, heated shop, plenty of spare parts.

4. You drew the line a little high for me,,I recently turned 62 but still love to build hot rods.

I finally finished my 9 year long project "Ranch Wagon"this year and built my '32 pickup a few years ago.

I bought back my '32 sedan that I built 15 years ago and in the process of working out the bugs from sitting the last several years. HRP

5. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I'm a youngster so to speak (44) but most of the guys I hang with are 65+ and they all build their own. They will bust each others balls all day about one of them actually buying something instead of fabricating it.

6. I'll be 65 the end of this month, still trying to fabricate and build the coupster. But I think my nest dream is to buy a "decently" done COE that just needs my "touch" to make it mine. And be driving it while I'm doing it. More the journey than the destination, but I'm thinking more about enjoying my journey before I reach that "destination".
    RB

7. Building is as much apart as driving. Anyone can drive.

8. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Nearly 72 but still spend 3-4 days in the shop each week and have 6 projects in various stages. Also have a good helper who is younger (62).

9. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

69, and out in the shop every day!

Rich

10. Well, I am 64.375 so thats close enough. Yeah, except for working in the cold part, I enjoy still doing everything I possibly can on my cars. My dad always told me if anyone can do something then you can too so I try it all, sometimes fail but I always try it myself first. Still have a dozen projects to do. Unfortunately, I don't intend to live that long though.I just enjoy working on my old cars more than driving them. I drove for a living and still do part time so its no thrill for me anymore.

11. Count me in on this one, I'll be 65 tomorrow. I have built 3 crusty cruisers in the last three years, and planning on the next project right now. I love the fabrication, engineering, designing, grinding, welding, and then being able to share with everyone. This adventure began 50 years ago when my father and I bought a trailer mounted gas powered welder.
    Dad inspired me with his ability to make something out of what he had on hand, he was one of the original recyclers.
    I've never had the bank account to run out and buy what ever I wanted. I'd rather save, plan it out and build it myself. There's something to be said for the personal satisfaction of doing it with you own two hands.

Attached Files:

12. Bluedot

Bluedot

67, and building a '30 A Coupe. Love the car, car hates me (already named it Nemesis), but with the help of my son, muddling thru.
    I still get the hotrodder's high from the first engine fire-up, and then the first drive around the block. There is such great satisfaction in driving something you built yourself. The buyers miss those good times.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm a week away from 62, and at peace with the fact that I won't see the Roadster on the road, just walking past the parts since 1962 makes me happy. Bob

14. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I started with the current car when I was 63 and more or less finished it this year at 70 so that bridges the age. Wife has declared no more projects but I think that my grand daughter might need a vintage kart and you know grandmas and the grand kids. So maybe there's hope.

15. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

65 and still building, they just seem to keep getting shorter haha. Bob driving that roadster on your 65th would be a good goal....

16. williebill

williebill

60 here,and at the speed I work,there's 40 years worth of future projects in the garage now. I want to see at least some of them through to completion,but realistically,I won't make it with all of them,or even most of them. The last couple of years,after a few distracting periods ( girlfriends who resent garage time ),I've tried to stay focused,and get in the garage every night sfter work.
    If you had asked me 20 years ago about my projects,I would have been sure that they'd be done by now. Life had other ideas,though.
    As to your original question,I'm gonna keep cutting,grinding,and welding til I can't . Working on my cars keeps me sane. I'll turn down date opportunities to get garage time.
    Kids are adults now,on their own,live by myself,and would rather work on my rusty old shit than just about anything.

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'm at 70,still build them and have fun doing it,built and designed ,and drove racecars and hotrods from my highschool years[late 50's in to the early 60's]
    Had the great fun of doing one with my son as well,now he drives his rod around and has great fun too.:cool::D Photos in my albums:cool:

18. aojo

aojo

I'm with "Adjustable" on this one... I still enjoy working on the cars but kneeling, laying on the floor for any length of time and bending over a fender can be a bit punishing... so I sit on stools, work a bit more slowly, plan the work session a bit better, and get help when slinging motors about.. still work for an electrician a couple of days a week to keep as limber as possible. Just turned 69.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Started on my '55 Cadillac in July, '05, I was 62... (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build);;;
    finished it 5 1/2 years later at 68...been driving it for two summers now.. [​IMG]

Right after the Caddy was streetable, my bro and I put together a '60 Pontiac Safari nine passenger station wagon, sold it and then towed in a '60 Chevy two door station wagon ...it's our winter project right now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I still have a '48 Cadillac sedanet in the shed I'll start on when the wagon is done. Can't afford to buy a car...it's easier to nickel and dime a build...

R-

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well...I'm 70, have always built my own cars.

Laughed out loud when someone declared that I was an 'old guy'...(I still have all my hair, still shaped like most 40-year-olds, and have a young wife...and all my cars are HAMB friendly. My F100 still does the 1/4 in mid-13s, after 40 years of getting used to it. I can't imagine anything I'd 'buy' to improve on it)

My F-1 and '47 Ford were given to me by lifelong friends...(both projects)
    Oldest son bought me my '54 Ford Coupe, a nice stocker that is now getting a tube axle and 406/heavy 3 speed with Jeep tower, big cane shifter.

The thought of buying someone's hot rod makes me shiver...That would equate to "another one that has to come off the frame to repair whatever 'Street or Rat' indignacies it has suffered". Many customers that bought hot rods brought them by the shop, "Look what I just bought!" I can't begin to list some of the lame stuff that was done. Repairs turned into rebuilds...not unusual.
    I am tainted with too much experience with cars that were exposed to honiocks in the '70s thru the millenium to have survived unscathed.

Retired with more equipment and tools than lots of shops have...nearly all my stuff is self-fabricated, everything is on wheels and 'user with a bad back friendly'...
    I have lots of 'old stock', and avoid anything in Blister Packs. I weld a lot...LOL

I work on my '27 T projects every day, frame jig is never empty. (I have 4 T's right now, 2 are 'rollers'... all different. Whee!
    Now I don't have to repair mistakes on anybody else's stuff they sold...

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just a tad under the 65 limit, but still out there every day, and just finishing up another project. Also looking at purchasing one from a neighbor that will be another scratch build. I don't know what I'd do if I had to buy a car? I think I'd probably just stop and keep the three I have.

22. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

I`ll be 64 in august...I found out you just can`t quit...I made my own HURST type motor mounts and put a 1958 283 in a `40 ford coupe when I was 16 going on 17.

I quit hot rods while raising a family..

.Had my 20 year old grand son take my latest creation[ 29 roadster] out for a spin when he was here for thanksgiving.

I`ve tried to quit...i just can`t!

23. I am a young 67 with a worn out body
    i built circle track cars and raced for 18 years and did enough fabrication to last a lifetime and am tired of it, so i buy most parts now
    i do buy cars that are done but they all have to be redone to get up to show specs. I only did 44 shows last year
    so i do a little welding and some painting , i have a 2800 sq ft shop and have 6 cars in shop and warehouse and 1 in trailer and one tarped
    i find the cost of parts is worse than doing the work on the cars:eek:
    i sure do get satisfaction out of getting awards , like from Winfield and Barris last year:D
    oh and the Best Chop trophy that was pictured in Hot Rod too

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  24. pastorbc

pastorbc
    from kentucky

be 68 in January, and still wrench on my own (55 f100 custom) and build classics for others on my days off from pastoring. plan to keep it up for a long time, too.

25. rascal55

rascal55

Will hit 64 next year, between time, money , family, business,
    grandkids, bifocals ,I still like to go to the shop and attempt
    to build things !!!! I figure time is pressing though, need to
    get the 55 done !!!

26. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

I am almost 63 and still turning wrenches on rolled carpet scrapes on the floor. Have my 40 coup up and running and now want a 50s land yacht (Buick,Pontiac,Oldsmobile) four door (more door). Got to keep my hands in it for a few more years.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm 58 and love building. Hope I can continue to do so for many more years.
    I'm suffering the usual aches and pains from age and a lifetime as an industrial pressure welder-fabricator.

Recently I went back to weight training and swimming to try to offset some of the ravages time does to us all.

I'd have no problem buying a rod that someone else built if I liked it, had the money etc.

Unlike some who posted here I don't operate under the illusion that I'm the only one who knows how to do something and get it right, far from it. :)

28. ibuild

ibuild

i am 66 and still enjoy the build, i have a 34 tudor, a 29 roadster and i am building a 38 pickup now i build all i can , build the frame for the last two out of 2x3 tubeing, don't enjoy motors as much is i used to and for me the fun part is the problems we run into and getting it done, hard to beat the first drive, in the 80s i built and drove late model dirt cars, played with john deere tractors but have found that hot rods is where the fun is i drive um hard

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 70, and next summer I plan on making my restored '51 club coupe the car I always wanted in high school. Lowering all around, and a complete Fenton equipped flathead with parts I have accumulated over the years. I look forward to doing the engine mods, the suspension work, not so much.

I've spent my winters in Florida the last few years with no car stuff at all. I find that when fall comes, I've had enough "car stuff" for the summer, and am glad to get away from it. However, in the spring, I can't wait to get back and into the shop. I find myself sitting here having the same kind of thoughts about the project that I had looking out the study hall window in 1958. That car was a '51 as well, only a four door I shared with my mother; this is lots better.

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

They arn't as much fun after there built.