Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Does MIG Welding Get A Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3030

I know Don it's Christmas damn it!

2. Fishbeck, I made a simple stand out of 1/2" tube. just welded a short piece of 2" tube for a holder. I got fancy and added a small tube for rod. Part of the deal for me is I like the A/O process. And TIG, what little I've done. (don't have a machine at the home shop) It's kind of a zen thing. And I love the malleability of the steel when your done. I like mig welding too, it just feels like production, rather than a craft............but if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm an old hippy.

3. I was over thinking it! I need to make one, as soon as this rain stops. I have some lower quarters to do for the 60. The picture I seen for a torch holder, almost look like a ground clamp for a welder. Like you just pushed the torches handle thru and the springs pressure held it.

4. Drive Em

Drive Em

I did this with no pulse, just good hand eye coordination and 28 years of experience. I try to make every weld I do look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

There is nothing wrong with the strength of MIG welds. I am a mechanical designer and the company I work for engineers equipment that withstands hundreds of thousands of ft-lbs of torque and in some cases even millions. All our fabricators MIG weld, and I have yet to see a weld failure personally in 22 years of working here. If we had to TIG weld our equipment we'd go out of business. No doubt, in the right hands TIG makes beautiful welds, but beauty doesn't get the job done. Like most things, it's the man, not the tool.

6. TIG requires a little more skill, at the bare minimum.
    MIG can be done with one hand and eyes closed.

7. Any high production rate welding is MIG. Most all of car welds that are not spot welds are MIG. Good MIG welds are stronger than the base metal.

The problem with MIG is that without proper machine setup, weld prep, and good operator skill you can cause very low penetration. MIG welds will always be less ductile than TIG or Oxy/Acetylene.

The expression "glue gun" is used for those MIG welding that have poor setup and skill. The 120v machines can increase the chances of glue gun welds, but are not the sole cause many times.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wondering, Blue One - where did you get your Metalurgical degree?

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, anything made before TIG came along should be exploding by now?

I'm learning to weld at college right now and one thing my instructor said about this topic:

"It ain't the machine, it's the man. Period."

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Do you mean hammer finishing your welds or flattening you r welds. Contrary to popular belief "HAMMER WELDING" is actually using a forge to heat the metal, layering it and then using a hammer to fuse (weld) the two pieces together. That is how the Romans, Franks, Goths, and all those earlier civilizations welded back then. Especially important in the construction of some very tough swords and other such weapons/tools.

11. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I once asked a group of very experienced welders just why a good TIG weld should look like a stack of dimes. They all agreed there was no reason they could think of other than it looks cool. From a strength standpoint, and I assume strength is the goal of a weld, the stack of dimes is hard to explain.

12. I think you are correct Fourtunateson. The term has become common for gas welding and hammering the weld to flatten and stretch. The terminology was argued quite extensively here a while back :rolleyes:What ever you call it, its a really nice way to join sheet metal.:)

13. Yes, hammer finishing! I'm good at spitting the wrong shit out.. real good! I don't know where I got that from.. probably because it's similar

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It's only because I teach history. Now, anyone up for "hammer welding" a frame together? LOL:p

15. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An opinion to the OP:

My opinion is that MIG welding has a bad rap from the same people thinking all traditional rods with White Walls or Flat Paint are R@t Rods, they're obviously not.

We all probably agree the HAMB is "rareity" if you will. That is, the majority of us build our own cars and are talented craftsman, where as many car people buy their cars and consider themselves experts. In reality, many of them are dumbshits :)

I have a MIG and TIG and wouldn't trade either for anything. I think anyone who knows what they're doing would agree.

16. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

...see post #94

17. Now that would be traditional! Oh yeah.. thanks Teach'! :D

18. triumph 1

triumph 1

I own a mig, tig & stick welder. While tig is my preferance, a skilled welder can make good welds with any welding machine. Some processes have advantages over others in certain situiations. Just my .02

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The MIG welds I've seen scare me, and I've never been able to put down a MIG weld myself, I did Heli Arc Aluminum body work for years, and can gas weld. TIG and gas have a pool, MIG is a gob of crap on top of the weld metal. If you feel good about yout MIG welds I happy for you, but I'd be far happier paying for a good looking TIG weld. Bob

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thats what it boils down to, doesnt it?

Different welders for different jobs.

And no one machine does it all.

Take a look at my latest find...

I'm having fun with it.:)

5Ld5N75J73Ed3Jf3ofc4habe77d3b4f241623.jpg

21. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

For all the guys who want to argue that mig welding is just as good or better than TIG welding.......When you can make your mig welds look like this, let us know!...until then, Nuff said!!.....by the way these are not mine they were done by another HAMB member

Attached Files:

22. Pneumatically controlled, spot welder?

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep.

And watercooled.

But I havent done heavy enough stuff where I have had to hook that up yet.

24. I'm curious what it was used for originally. What gauge metal was used?

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The opinion expressed in quote B) explains exactly the reason for quote A)! LoL :D:D

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Different kinds of production stuff..

I bought it out of a small factory that had not used it for quite some time.

They hooked it back up for me, so I could try it and make sure it worked.

Its not going to see a lot of use with me either.

But when you need it, its nice to have it...:D

And it does really nice spotwelds...:)

27. No such thing as too many tools!

28. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Really, if you want to get very general about it, aren't mig and tig really the same except with one you are feeding the filler metal by hand and with the other by machine?

29. 5p or 6010 rod will give you the same look, and actually was doing it long before any welder had ever seen a tig machine.

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

Exactly...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.