Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm looking forward to watching how you tackle the windscreen... have subscribed and will keep watching this one!

2. J.Barrett

J.Barrett

pretty damn cool!! great work man,

3. That chop will have some serious attitude! Keep up the great work Joe

4. ok update time.... I've been working on the windshield area a lot the past few days, and though its still only roughed out you can see the bottom of opening is starting to take shape! I also started shaping the windshield frame to fit the opening... I was told its from a '37 dodge truck, not sure on that though.

stock vs. chopped.... I think chopped won![​IMG]

it'll never be stock again!
    [​IMG]

lower corners...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. here's some more!

first attempt...
    [​IMG]

I ended bending it in the vise, checking as I went
    [​IMG]

this is how it sits now... the drivers side corner needs a little more tweaking...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bottom doesn't match top now
    [​IMG]

and here it is without the frame
    [​IMG]

Joe

6. austinhunt

austinhunt

Man O' man. For a 4 year old you have balls. That poor roof line didn't stand a chance!

Thanks for the motivation.

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking good! You're slowly making me a believer.. The frame doesn't look like it's a v-butt windshield?

8. haha its not v-butted..... I talked to the guy with chevy that I wanted the windshield from, and he's like "its not worth anything.... so I don't want get rid of it" (me) would it be possible for me to take a closer look? all I want is a couple of parts off it, and I'll pay you for them... "no there's nothing good left on it... it's no use. go away" haha
    so I got this aluminum frame from the old guy up the road.
    gonna work on it more tonight... may be another update if I get some work done.

Joe

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So you decided against grafting in a V-butt, uh?

A lot less work grafting in a flat piece of glass than a V-butt. ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Noland

Noland

Not going to look like a Model A once your done, but itll look really awesome. It sure is alot of work isnt it HAHA. Looking great keep up the good work.

11. yeah :rolleyes: haha

Thats the idea! Thanks! I'm also trying to get as much attitude as I can without sacrificing much headroom and forward visibility.... So the windshield will be slightly taller than the front of the door windows.... kinda like how some people chop the windshield of a merc less than the rest of the car, moving the windshield up into the roof a bit. The rear window will also be chopped less than the side windows....

On a different topic.... I've been killing myself thinking about what wheels/tires to use, all I have right now is a bunch of '35 16 inchers.... but I'm pretty sure I want to run 16'' steel wheels, I just can't find a set anywhere in hawaii. The tire combos I have been thinking about are: 890 16 dirt track rears and 500 16 ribbed fronts, 750 16 deluxe champion rears and 500 16 ribbed fronts, or 750 16 deluxe champion rears and 425/450 or 500 16 deluxe champion fronts..... any thoughts? some input would be really helpful!

thanks!
    Joe

p.s. here's what the coupe is wearing right now.....
    [​IMG]

yeah those are 19'' wires, and even though they don't look half bad in the pic.... the rear sub-rails hadn't been notched yet so now it sits kinda level with a hint 40's custom stance(taildragger) haha

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  12. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I dont have any suggestions about wheels and tires but you do some realy great work and it looks awsome. I am thinking about picking up my stuff and moving to kona. a little expensive but winter sucks. Keep up the great work, I have to go start a fire to heat my shop.
    Tibor

13. Pete

Pete

Dude, keep it up! Looks great! Cant wait to see the door tops in place.

14. Yeah hawaii is really great.... Not much a of a traditional car scene though, mostly just stockers and streetrods.... its all cool though!

Thanks! I can't wait either....

15. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

My freinds in kona said they have a ton of ricers

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

According to what I see on Dog the Bounty Hunter, yup.. :D

17. haha yeah LOTS of tuners....

18. any thoughts on tires?

19. austinhunt

austinhunt

I tend to not like the small 425/450 fronts. I think with no rake, the tall skinny fronts look good.

20. 7.00X16 deluxe champion blackwall rears- 4.50/4.75X16 deluxe champion blackwall fronts..def solid wheels 4X16 front/4.5X16 rears..

21. VonKool13

VonKool13

Your probably gonna find 4.50s way too short. I would go 5.50s and 7.00~7.50s

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So your choices are:

- 5.00x16 ribbed fronts, 8.90x16 dirt track rears
    - 5.00x16 ribbed fronts, 7.50x16 deluxe champions
    - 4.25/50x16 or 5.00x16 and 7.50x16 deluxe champions

I'm a huge fan of the dirt track tires, but if you're going to be running a flathead, then I would stick with the skinny tires. The 5.00x16 ribbed fronts with the 7.50x16 deluxe champions is the set I'd run. That's what Mark Ford has on his A coupe..

[​IMG]

23. yeah I don't really no what I was thinking when I typed that.... I tend to shy away from tires smaller than 5.50, but I had just been looking at the Walden built deuce 3w that was in the rodders journal recently.... I guess it kinda influenced me haha

I normally like 7.50 rears.... but I guess with the smaller front tires the 7.00s would look good too!

yeah I think 4.50s are out...

I really like the dirt trackers too.... they kinda give a more racy feel. I was also thinking about firestone indy rear tires..... I just dig them.... I don't know if they would look good though.

So is the general consensus that I should definitely use steel wheels?

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You could run the wires too, if you had a set. Either way looks great. I had a set of '35 wires that I was hoarding for my next project but I decided to give up the way of hoarding and make some moolah for my A. :eek:

[​IMG]

25. ^^^^^

That tire/wheel combo is awesome.
    To be honest I think the color really matters when you run wires. If they are the same color as the car they look good if not they look blahhh, but thats just my dumb opinion.

I say go with what you have, that is what hotrodding was all about!

Be careful if you don't have a title for your car. In my state if you need to apply for a new title you need to get the car inspected, and they wont pass with less than 5.00 front tires, or so I've been told. You may want to check that out just in case.

26. what do wires sell for? I buy them for like $10 a piece over here..... seems like selling one set wouldn't make much moolah.... any ways I think on some cars wires just look soo right.... but I'm not feeling them for this car....

27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

A good set of 4, 16" wires out here can go for $500au plus

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I just sold my set of perfectly good '35 wires for $400.. There are several on here for about the same. Right after I sold them, I saw another set on here that had been powder-coated for $200! I should have jumped on those and made a profit off them..

Oh well.