Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your favorite magazine issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 1941coupe

1941coupe

mine favorite was rodding and restyling oct 1957,you see the 40 ford on the cover well I owned that car in the early eightys it was built in 1956 I didn't built it , it was a show and go car with a worked 49 olds mated to original driveline,ran B/G at Westhampton drag strip and some new England tracks...ran mid 13s at 96mph,i found the car exactly as it was in 1956,couldn't get it to run cool so put a 350/350 i owned it for 16 yrs sold it to guy in north Carolina,biggest mistake I ever made

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Chip: here's that T. I still think it's incredibly wild.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the huge post. If I knew how to do it more compactly, I would.

3. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Remember Mr Magoos little adventure Saturday afternoon at the Gold Cup? I nailed it!!!! :D

4. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's exactly the post size I'd love to see! The bigger the better as far as I'm concerned. And, for the record - yes that car still flips my switch too!

6. Near impossible to narrow it down, but this one is at the top of my list....Custom Craft...Feb 1962 Featuring the Alexander Brothers/ Dick Bailey Merc.....Centurion9

[​IMG]

7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

So far i've got it narrowed down to the 25th anniversary issue of Rod and Custom with an article on Millners 32' coupe that i bought at a swap meet. (Aug.91) And two others. An issue of Super Stock Drag Racing Monthly from November 96' and HOT ROD August 1997 both of which have excellent articles writen by Ro McGonegal with the black S-W-C Swindler A car.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. ardyboy

ardyboy

Wow Bob...you sure caught the heart of that action. I think that young fellas eyes were as big as frying pans

9. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Don't know if anybody's following this thread anymore. But for you mag-o-philes, I see a couple of themes worth mentioning. This pretty much started with a discussion of Jake's perfect gold A pickup, and his pioneering in the trend to preserve traditional hot rods. Then it shifted to this one extolling the issue of Street Rodder featuring Jake's truck and Ewing's incredible coupe on the cover. What nobody has mentioned is that this was Steve Coonan's third issue as editor, after I left. His budding photographic talent was really first seen in the prior issue, with Mickey Knight's yellow Magoo-built '29 Phaeton on the cover and center spread. Then with the spread on Jake's pickup. And best of all with Magoo's own red '29 Roadster on the cover of the Jan.'79 issue. The feature on Dick's '29 inside, with a full-spread low-angle profile shot (now a Coonan staple), was really a preview of what was to come in The Rodder's Journal. Six issues was all young Steve could take, before Tom took over the magazine himself, and turned the whole cover sideways (so it would look different on the newsstand).

The other theme is Jake's involvement in several of the mags mentioned. Of course the "barnyard" issue of R&C is an all-time classic, but don't forget Jake's article inside showing how he chopped the top on his coupe (lineman's belt and all). That photo shoot, by the way, was when Pete and Jake met. A couple of people have mentioned the Best of Hot Rod book (which isn't really a magazine, but it's excellent). Guess where that great cover shot was photographed? Yep, in Jake's garage. The car wasn't his, but everything else in the photo was.

That's my two cents worth. Glad to see some of my efforts mentioned among favorites. Thanks!

Pat Ganahl

10. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

This is the one that hooked me. But I can't pick just one. The R&C issues with Bud Bryans Av8 build, Sept. '83 HOT ROD with the Eliminator coupe, Hot Rods Flashback '57 build issues as well as their Rt 66 series from '86. I can go on for days.....

11. Karrera

Karrera

I guess my favorite would be the October 1959 issue of Rod & Custom that I first saw in 1972. I had purchased this different looking Porsche 356 about a year earlier without really knowing what it was - other than that I really liked the way it looked. One of the guys in the Atlanta Region of the Porsche Club of America told me he thought he had a copy of an old magazine with my car on the cover - at the next PCA meeting he handed me a copy of this:

[​IMG]

I didn't know for sure until that moment how special a car I'd bought - thanks to Ray Ringler I knew that I'd bought the Dean Jeffries Carrera.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had some of my photos in this one:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely I'm still following this one! I believe since it is such favorite that I'll do some scans and posts of the R&C chopped top issue in the coming day. Been a busy, frustrating week as a hot rod builder this week so I haven't had the time to devote to this thread that I had hoped for earlier.

I started this thread because my magazine collection has been meaningful to me in so many ways all my life. I learned to read very early in life so I COULD understand what was going on in my dad's hot rod magazines, and through many years as an admittedly sickly child when others were running around doing kid stuff, I was soaking in what guys like you were writing. I thought maybe by scanning some of these issues and showing them, the guys that didn't follow them as closely or even the new guys out there could get a taste of what they brought to the table.

Pat, I'm honored that you chose to post on my thread. I quoted Jake's writing abilities back on the other thread because that one particular passage really defined who and what I knew I was to become and just how important cars were and are in my world. You, however have given me so many ideas, quotes and thoughts over the years that it would be absolutely impossible to put my finger on any one. For instance, because of your editorial in a late eighties or early ninties R&C that named nothing but surf guitar legends got me curious enough to listen to them... Now they are amongst my favorites too. I remember when your '32 Chevy burned down, I remember when someone wrote you asking where to find a '54 Chevy grill... on the front of a '54 Chevy, of course. Who else would have thought to look up the old addresses of the shops that built all of our stuff 50 years prior? Hell, you even taught me that building a hot rod was simple - put the nose down, paint it a bright primary color, put the big wheels on the back, put in black gauges with white numbers and make it simple! Oh, and pipes, it's gotta have pipes!!!

Pat, Thank you sir!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  14. Fenders

Fenders

I've got lots of faves in the little mags but this is at the top of my list, I've had it for decades: September 1958 Rod & Custom.
    Gil Granucci's channeled (but not chopped) A on the cover with a nice article inside.
    Articles on cycle fenders, coupes...

Anyone know where Gil's car is today?

Attached Files:

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang,

Been a busy week, so I haven't had the time I had wished to update this thread as intended. I was going to scan and post the R&C "chopped top issue" this time out, but this fell to hand a bit sooner... Feburary 1971 R&C.

This issue is significant for many reasons, but the biggest is the introduction of Jake restoring the Niekamp car! This is IT gang... The begining of what we are doing here today!!! This is where the traditional movement started. If you were around then, you can probably remember thinking WHY? Why would any one waste their time "Restoring" an old hot rod? Put some indy Firestones and Ansens on it, panel paint it with some lace and endless lines, maybe leave the hood off and stick a blower on it and get with the times!!! Thankfully, Jake saw it differently, and here we are today!

This also made me dig my dad's old mags out of the closet in the basement to see what else was built back then... mom was less than pleased to come home and find musty dusty magazines all strewn across the basement open to certain pages with picture of the stuff I liked. Just as pissed as "The increadible Miss Judy" gets when I'm "researching" to this day...

Attached Files:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bo Jones had made the cover of R&C about four years earlier with his narrowed Modified, also bringing back a style that hadn't been seen since the immeadiate post-war when the SCTA dropped the class for ever. This time he dicided that he needed a roof over his head and some comfort, so here is his latest for that time period. I just reacently saw a color slide of this car shot at a California event back about this time, and this thing was BEAUTIFUL!

Also this issue, Spence Murray answered the question "What happened to the R&C project '36?". (You guys know you can click on these and they get huge, right?)

Attached Files:

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Now, one of my favorites from this issue... Tech! Even as a kid I was devouring tech stuff so I could figure out how to build model cars better. I don't believe anybody but me ever thought it would be soooo important in my future.

Five times in my life '41-'48 Chevys have been put in my hands for engine transplants. Five times at least this mag has supplied the basic info to do the deed with out ordering kits... 'Cause there WERE no kits at the time. You can do the same today with the same results!

Quick edit: As you read this, notice they call this combo a "street machine". At this time, if you were wheeling anyting newer than a '40 Ford, you were "nowheresville, man". Even '40 Fords were kinda fringe at the time, with true "street rods" being '34 and earlier. Street Rod was the accepted term at the time to clean up our image. The term Hot Rod was basically verboten when discussing early stuff. "Street Machine" was the vast plethora of stuff that didn't fit elswhere, but was wild and crazy. I didn't scan bud Bryan's editorial from this one, but it was about government intrusion into our corner of the world - already...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One last one for today. an article on a guy theat had been a Hot Rodder since the begining of the deal and his 'bangers. Always wanted to go for a ride in that "T"!

I'm also enclosing the back cover, 'cause it says lot's about the era and what was going on. Long hair everywhere, protests on every campus because of the war, hippies all over. My 19 year old aunt loved hauling me to all these functions plus Budist prayer meetings on campus... "Auntie, can I stay home? Your friends kinda smell funny..." Kinda funny that it took Camel Cigarettes to fight for normality!

Edit: My scanner messed up the back cover and edited it in the favor of the hippies! I'll fix it later...

Edit-Edit: I promised that I would fix the back cover on this one, here it is....
    Also, did you notice the blurb "Think you'll still be a Hot Rodder in 2015 A.D.?" I knew!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gil's car was restored to abou the same appearance with some funky '70s "Hubcapper" wheels and featured in Rod&Custom and I believe American Rodder about a decade ago.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

21. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I've mentioned on numerous threads the May 1970 Rod & Custom with Joe Mac's chopped A Sport Coupe powered by a Riley headed banger, along with Dan Iandola's articles on four banger hop ups, has hands down gotta be a favorite to myself and others!!!

22. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

On a side note, Mr. Ganahl, I thank you for publishing my letter in the February 93 RnC concerning the Ed Ulrich track roadster, which I have featured in an earlier issue of Rod Action magazine. I'm also amazed how many people fail to mention Oregon's own Street Rod Mag that picked up the ball Petersen dropped killing RnC back in 71. Need my own scanner!!

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I came sooooo close to scanning that one this morning when I did this week's entry! Joe Mac's was a major favorite of mine, and Jake wrote that one well again.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Mark Morton got the Joe Mac sport coupe after Joe was done with it. I kinda don't think he has it any more, though; does anyone know who has it?

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I forgot about that one.That's I great one.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, enough of you guys have wanted to see the May '70 issue of Rod&Custom, and as I said yesterday it came out in the same batch as the Feburary '71 issue so here goes... Please forgive the lack of a cover on this one, it's been runnin' around my collection for about thirty years nekkid! I'm used to identifying it via the hurst ad.

This article on 'bangers is about the best have ever come across, and between this and the Joe Mac model "A" feature that I'll do next have always caused me to want a mildly modified "A". Make mine a '30 sedan please! 'Course it'd have to have 16" Kelseys, 7.00 on the back, 5.00 on the front, Dropped axle, Hydraulics, and a Winfield head and a couple of carbs... So far it hasn't happened yet, but someday!

Attached Files:

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, here is the most requested from that issue, Joe Mac's sport coupe. This one you absolutely have to read if you are a newbie with early Ford stuff. There is a quote from Joe about all early Ford stuff fitting each other if you know where to heat or cut... i remeber reading that for the first time as a kid and it was like a light bulb went off over my head. "Well hey, you can do that!" said my young brain. I mistakenly attributited this article to Jake the other day, but Bud Bryan did the deal here and it's super entertaining. He's another guy that just doesn't get enough credit for his scriblings...

Attached Files:

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One last one from this issue. One of the problems with doing this is knowing when to stop. This issue had a cool article on finding and buying early Ford roadsters that was cool as hell but of little use these days. This little "T"caught my eye again this morning as I went through again as I just collected the last bits (almost) for a full fendered '24 roadster. Fronty "R"... Wish I could even consider such a thing! Mine will get a 2300 Ford, but all early underpinnings and if I keep the hood closed you'll never know.

Attached Files:

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I meant to respond to this earlier, but that's awsome! I noticed your avatar on several occasions and always had meant to P.M. you and ask if the car was what I thought it was. Wasn't there a kinda dark backstory behind the original owner with murder and major theft of some sort involved? I could be wrong about that, but I think there was something to that effect.
    How cool is it that the car remains as Jefferies did it? You'd think after the major push to restore these cars starting in the eighties that this would have gone back to stock Carrera specs...

30. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

The Rodders Journal 32 Ford double issue