Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. deto

deto

Man I'm only 26 and I remember Orange Julius in the Thousand oaks mall when I was a little kid. That sounds delicious right now...

2. The A&W 's here no longer use foil bags for the burgers.
    A thin paper bag has replaced it.
    Greener
    Another staple of my youth---gone!

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All the A&Ws here in Canada still use the foil bags and we also have the burger family, something it seems the US A&Ws dropped some time ago.

Still love a Teen burger ,onion rings and a big rootbeer in a frosty mug. :)

4. I noticed the newer A&W's here have a bit of retrostyling with the trapazoidal shape with the name on it, albeit stucco'd not made out of angelstone/brick.

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The root beer barrel near Reed's corners in Elkhart, IN. Just like the one in this picture.

[​IMG]

7. Sheesh...... how'd I miss this for this long?
    I remember blasting out the door at sun up and hearing "LUNCH IS AT 12!" and never giving home another thought until lunch time!
    I remember climbing to the VERY top of old growth white pine tree's and "riding" them in the wind. (Some of you know what I mean! ;) )
    I remember my dad handing me a .22 bolt action and a box of 50 bullets and telling me "Be safe!" ( I was.... 10? MAYBE 12 at the time.)
    I remember "Kick the can" We used to play on an entire block.

I feel sorry for my kids. The U.S. has changed.

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

- Crank windows
    - Studded snow tires
    - Autocrat coffee milk
    - Burger Chef
    - Foam burger boxes at McD's
    - McD's without drive thrus
    - Schwinn bicycles
    - School hallways made of brick painted government green
    - Hat clasps on the back of church pews
    - Comic books with staples in the spine
    - Vinyl seats
    - The smell of 1950's through 1960's car interiors
    - The Wolfman
    - Unknown Comic
    - Cigarette machines in every restaurant

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10. It might be time for a Teen Burger Blue One! :D

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Square tires in sub zero temps in the wintertime.
    Not being able to shift out of 1st. gear until the trans grease warmed up

12. I actually bought Spiderman #1 off the rack.

Ya know what ever happened to the unknown comic? Plastic instead of paper.

I remember Lenny Bruce and the old man talking the owner of the Hungry Eye into lettimg me in so I could meet Gypsy Rose Lee.

13. Muttley

Muttley

14. 25 cents for allowance, I could get a pop, bag of chips, and a chocolate bar.
    2 cent return on the bottle, 2 MoeJoe's for a penny.
    Bottle caps with a cork liner inside.
    When little Coke bottles weren't a retro thing, they were just a bottle of Coke.
    Going to the store to get smokes for my dad, with a dollar and being able to keep the 35 cents change.
    Lawn darts!
    Air Raid sirens.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Mentioning McDs without drive thrus, you will find one in SLO. San Luis Obispo
    has a ban on all drive thrus.

16. Only 2 MoJos for a penny? we got 3!
    At Halloween one of our suppliers brings us a huge box of assorted candies. Lo and behold there were Mojos in there! Well I went ape shit and raided them all ( along with Tootsie Rolls and jolly Ranchers too):D

17. Winner

Desert bag on mirror of 57 DeSoto Wagon driving to Grand Canyon - the push button transmission selector, the while neighborhood helping my brother push start his Studebaker R2 then jumping in and putting my feet on the battery and watching the street go by, no flo boards really, the Washington Senators baseball team, two level train cars marked Santa Fe, seeing Duke Ellington play at Disneyland, playing with my grandmas pedal powered Singer sewing machine with the Sphinx in gold on it, digging a hole on the ranch with my brother just for fun - crap I could go on and on

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That would get a trip to jail, today. Damn gun haters.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I DARE you to sit down in your local Mickey D's and spark up a fatty!:eek: And no, I dont smoke dope OR cigarettes.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I was nine, I would cut my Grandmas lawn for $4, buy a model for $3.30, pick up the latest SS/DI for 65 cents, and the leftover nickel would cover the sales tax!!! Good luck with that now.:rolleyes:

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We still have those. Theres one in the mall less than a mile form my place...

22. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

^^^^^Thanks Muttley !!!!^^^^^

23. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i remember riding to town on my great granpa's wagon pulled by his plow horses to get supplies --early 50's in rural arkansas---he never owned a car or tractor---one of the things i really remember is the thrill of seeing that little patch of bare flesh just above the top of the nylon below the garter belt on a young ladies leg -----life in the USA has been very good to me

24. woodypecker

woodypecker

I remember a 48 Buick being a late model car.

25. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Going to Niagara Drag Strip
    Buying 60s falcons and chevelles for winter cars for $50-$150
    Could buy model glue and paint before being legal age to drink
    Concert tickets were 10 bucks or less
    There were actually almost a dozen drive-ins around here.

26. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

about 1966 I took a Jap Snipers rifle complete with bayonet and my God Fathers WWI bayonet(Why did a sniper need the bayonet?) on the school bus and to the Catholic school I attended (The bolt was removed for this day) I had to leave the rifle with the bus driver because of the bayonet and the seperate bayonet during the ride to/from school because "I don't want that damn thing slipping and cutting my seats"But that was the only "Restriction" that I faced that day! We had some kind of "History" show and tell and anyonwe with an article from any time that had been covered in our history class was asked to bring it in. The day I brought the rifle a friend of mine brought in a piece of the airframe from the Hindenburg his father was there the day it burned and was part of the clean up crew he kept about a foot long section of the frame.

27. Drewski

Drewski

I remember..............

My first bicycle, a used Hopalong Cassidy bicycle for Christmas. Sure wish I had it today.

Living in a house without indoor plumbing and not thinking anything about it.

Sleeping in a big thick feather bed mattress under a ton of blankets and being able to see my breath above the covers.

Nine years old driving a new 240 Farmall pulling a double gang disc. My dad had me driving at a very young age and I could sit in the seat of that tractor and work as long as any grown-up.

Freezing cold outside, laying under my brother's 48 Chevy truck 5 years old.....handing him wrenches,

Helping milk cows........4 in the morning and again at 4 in the afternoon.

I grew up on a farm......great times.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  28. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Mom had an older sister; Grace and her husband were farmers. We'd go there often and I would always want to go and "pick the eggs"! They also had some dairy cows and of course I told them; ..."but we get our milk at the store"! The most fun was when a bunch of the cousins would all be there and we'd all play in the hay loft!!

29. FWIW, A&W menus here vary some, drive-thrus have a bigger menu with the burger family and so on, others are combined with other "Yum! Brands" holdings like KFC or Taco Smell and have a smaller menu of combo meals and so forth.

30. 29AV8

29AV8

I got one. how about those wind up starters on lawn mowers and rototillers...