Register now to get rid of these ads!

1 of 3 remaining supercharged V8 Cords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOOB, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Why would anybody do that? Maybe so the car could set a dry lakes record.
    Thanks for remembering
    Don www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

2. Man, Jim, never seen this car with a sidemount before! you're a source of knowledge to me!

btw, did you see the movie "the shadow" st. Alec Baldwin, Penelope Ann Miller and Tim Curry? t'was made in '94, playin' in the early 40's, and the hired Cabdriver beatin' his Cord cab 'round the corners as hard that my ass rolled a nu pattern into the couch.. he really took the 90 degrees angle corners without even thinking about steppin' the brake, a serious supercharger lover!! love this movie, especially i mentioned to see a '41 Poncho nearly rolling over the main actor! great story telling some about another super hero! and he's not another indestructable guy, only a regular guy with some extra skills, as to call... :)

Carsten

3. there is one in a private collection here in lincoln ne

4. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Josh Malks is working on an article on the Cords with rear spares for January 2013.

http://forums.acdclub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6064&highlight=rear+spare

It is believed that five Cords with factory side mount tires were built. There are two in existence, a Phaeton and a Custom Beverly. I will try to post pictures of both.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

damn straight!

6. How about posting this on this thread?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397594

7. that's interesting and all that - but the car showed by the OP does NOT have the external mounted spare :confused:

8. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

9. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

A fellow by the name of Dallas Winslow bought the ACD factory after Cord went out of business and kept it open to supply Cord owners with needed parts and some cars were sent back to the factory for repairs or restoration;

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2010/11/01/hmn_feature16.html

Glen Pray bought the factory from Dallas Winslow in 1960 and hauled everything to Broken Arrow Oklahoma. Before his death Glen Pray co wrote a book on his life. The book is very interesting and well worth reading:

Glenn Pray; The Untold Stories; An Autobiography by Glenn Pray as told to Cyndie Warner Gardner; $25.00 From Felix Deguyter who now runs the Glenn Pray Factory. Also available from Amazon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, I signed off this morning to take care of other things, and this thread took off! Gotta catch up, so excuse me while I go back and READ!:)

11. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I believe that sometime in the late 1930's-early 40's the Cord tooling was purchased by Huppmobile. Huppmobile contacted with Graham-Paige to build the Hupp Skylark using that tooling. Graham also used that tooling to produce it's own version, the Hollywood, which is a car I would love to own with modern fitment. At least that's what I recall. Here is a pic of each of the latter-day cars ... can't recall where I found the pics.

Attached Files:

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Nice Lincoln, but what does it have to do with the subject Cord? :eek:

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

You are correct but they only purchased the body tooling and John Tjaarda redesigned the front end;

http://www.hupmobileskylark.com/SkylarkHistory.html

14. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Jimi; I think this is why pics of other cars besides Cords cars are being posted. The OP doesn't specify Cord in his second post.

15. dakcrew

dakcrew

There is a convertible Cord (I think) sitting in a driveway that I pass everyday on the way to work. I saw it one day and spent the next 3 weeks trying to figure out what it was. Am very interested in them as they are remarkable cars, but haven't gotten the nerve to approach the owner yet to see what they have planned for it.

16. 1937 Cord Model 812C Phaeton in the Crawford Collection

[​IMG]

17. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

There are 2 patents listed on the VIN plate.

The 99,973 patent is for the design of the coffin nose hood.

The 97,697 patent is for the ornamental design of the automobile as drawn including the shape, and the "collapsible" headlights.

The 4 door with coffin nose is 93,451.

Google patent search turns up a batch of patents assigned to Auburn.
    Looks like they had exclusives on the horn ring for a while starting in 1939.
    USD107459

Both by Gordon Miller Buehrig and assigned to Auburn Automobile Co, Auburn Indiana

18. 2007 Eyes On Design Concourse

http://www.velocityjournal.com/pictures/org/271/19486.html

[​IMG]

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Most Cord owners are friendly. See if you can at least get some pictures of it. I'd love to know more about it.

20. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

That's George Arkelians Cord Phaeton. This Cord Did Not come from the factory with the rear spare tire. I'm not sure if it is an original factory spare tire from another Cord or if George fabricated it. He is pretty sharp and does a lot or rebuilding of Cord engines and transmissions for other Cord owners as well as being a good parts source. __________________

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gotcha, Jim.

Honestly, I think there are several pretty astute Cord guys here on this thread already. And there there is a ton of well-meaning HAMBers who want to know the difference between Cord fact and the myths and myths:rolleyes: that have grown up about them in the last 75 years.

One of the cool differences between the HAMB and other forums is that (for the most part) the guys who have knowledge aren't very provincial about it:) and are willing to share what they know with those who don't -- and, especially, the younger generation who want and need to know.:cool: Surely, we have some snooty folk on the HAMB, but there don't seem to be any on this thread. GREAT!;)

I single you out, as you not only own a SUPER-rare, factory-authorized ORIGINAL Cord with a sunroof, :eek: but you've soaked up all historical and mechanical info you could after your SUPER dad got you into the car-collecting hobby! A big salute there! :)

Great thread, but those are just prefatory comments on my part! Great thread goin' here.

22. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

23. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Experience the 2011 Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Reunion in Auburn Indiana. Featuring the 75th Anniversary of the Cord 810. Video includes racing at the Kendallville Airport. This video courtesy of Crown Collector Car Auctions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MAhgqPXQSe0

For those that don't know, Bill Hummel is E.L. Cords Grandson.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

25. Well, the pictures aren't what I remembered them being, but I figured I would contribute. No idea who owns it except that it was at the state fair grounds in Virginia in November 2011

Attached Files:

• 378.jpg
      378.jpg
      File size:
      485.6 KB
      Views:
    • 379.jpg
      379.jpg
      File size:
      476.4 KB
      Views:
    • 380.jpg
      380.jpg
      File size:
      495.2 KB
      Views:
  26. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

About fifty years ago, I had a friend who owned a blown Westchester sedan, all black with red leather interior. I was out to his house, on a Sunday, and he asked me if I wanted to ride into town with him in the Cord. Hell yes, so we went the 6 or 7 miles to town, When we pulled up in front of a store he wanted to go to, he no sooner shut the car off when a kid, about 10, yelled "are those piprs real?" With that, before we had a chance to tell him they were, he put his hand on the right front pipe. He screamed, and I still can remember the sound of the skin on his right hand frying like bacon, to this day!

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gen'l info for all: BTW, E.L. Cord had a '38 model ready for launch, but with the mini-recession of '38 coming on, he finally decided that the market for upscale, high-tech, high-performance just wasn't viable anymore. (He made a new fortune across the Mississippi in real estate, if I recall correctly.)

But like Ned Jordan before him, he must have felt a ton of sadness in seeing the luxury and hi-po car market go away during those long years of the depression.

28. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

29. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1938 Cord 814 Prototype

The design for the 1938 Cord prototype was done by Alex Tremulis, Auburn's Chief Designer. The car was an evolution of the landmark 1936-1937 Cord 810/812, famously designed by Gordon Buehrig. Total 810/812 production was 2,972 cars, including 205 convertible cabriolets, plus this one-off prototype 1938 Custom Cabriolet.

This Cord prototype had been in storage since 1958. The current owner found it in 1989 and embarked on a 15-year restoration. During the restoration process, the discovery of original factory photos helped as the prototype was returned to its original 1938 specifications and appearance.

Attached Files:

30. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here is a picture of the the S/C Rumble Seat Cord Cabriolet from North Carolina claimed to be the Sonya Hjenie car. One of my late fathers favorite Cord stories was that he would walk by where Sonya stored her Cord when she was in Minneapolis on his way home from school. He would sit in it and stare at the dash and those beautiful guages. The keys were always in it. He never got in any trouble until one day when he got brave enough to start it up because he wanted to hear it run. He'd tell me that they threw him out on his ear when he did that.

Attached Files: