Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Hot Rod Doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dug the music big time, and like Solobo I keyed in on the Texas thing the second I saw the dip ring and Dr.Pepper...

I guess anybody that would look at me would consider me a lifestyler kinda guy. After all, I drive nothing but vintage cars, I've kinda forgone the trappings of the typical "Rob Petri" kinda life so that I could be out and about in the car world. I've traded a VERY nice '48 chev 2dr. sedan for an El camino when a former girlfriend figured out it had a back seat and if we tried really, really hard we could have a reason to put a baby seat in it. I'm constantly building something.

But, I don't wear goofy clothes, (that's subjective!) don't look for car art in my home, I can actually speak and converse on a number of very diverse subjects when in public. Where does the definition of "Lifestyler" begin and end? Just a little brain teaser for my morning, thank you.

For the record, few things look as good to my eye as primer black and red wheels on the right era car. Oh, and if that guy is going to rattle can anything again he needs to learn how to move it in a straight path so it covers completely.

By the way, I did enjoy the movie! Just the banter afterwords has been a bit thought provoking.

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, esp. considering I just got done with two identical doors. Yet, the video was somehow reassuring & calming. The whole car thing is the one constant...something we can control..something that will always be there. And, as you age, all that becomes increasingly apparent.

3. Paint wears thin, fades and sands off, but the spirit lives on.

4. thechopperguy

thechopperguy

Amen

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I thought that video was well done, but the subject matter didn't deserve the effort he put into it. gues I'm just not artsy fartsy enough to fully understand.

6. bob-o

bob-o

I'm glad I'm not the only one who re-purposes my Tidy Cat buckets.

Yes. That is all I got from the video: A bucket of "meh".

7. S.F.

S.F.

Mentioning the flat black red wheels thing...I had a flat black 57 chevy with red wheels in Highschool in '02, had more fun in that car than you were legally allowed to. (57 chevys land nicely when airborn) I still think red wheels look good on the right car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

As a way kill a Saturday afternoon, sure. To make a wonderfully shot and scored video, of this(?), seems a little weird. Whatever. I'm sure he'll sell the doors.

9. hd4unm

hd4unm

I'm just guessing but;
    As a photographer I noticed the quality of production and credits. This was probably just a pet project for the photographer and his buddy who had some doors and an idea. The credits included the camera model and special camera firmware software "Magic Lantern". I have the same stuff and the "Magic Lantern" film community likes to practice with these short subject matter pieces to hone their abilities.

Update: I was a little off, looks like photog and painter same guy. This quote from the producers Vimeo page; "I like the old hotrod shop truck look. I painted a couple of doors that way."

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  10. deto

deto

Ryan, this is one of your more profound writings. A capricious bunch indeed...

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Trends? Lifestyle? Shit, I just like a well done hotrod ('20-'48) or custom.

12. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, it's all about fashion.... outdated, 60 year old anti-fashion that is.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

so...you were checking out his bum?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

15. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

The doors...NOT the guy`s ass!

16. davidh73750

davidh73750

I too liked the music. Made me want to get in my 55 and head down on 281 and get some ribs

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That was hard to watch, sorry.

18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I realy liked the pace of the movie, I tire of the -jump to a new sceen every 3 seconds with wild Rock a Billy background music. As a photographer, a couple of lap dissolves would have added to laid back feel. I thought he was going to pull out the spray cans for the lettering, but the brush and model paint was magic. As the doors are washed the look and feel of the brush strokes will come out along with real patina on black doors. As for any that might give this method a try, if you shoot a light coat of spray glue to tact the back of the paper, it will reduce the chance of the paint bleeding under the stencil and any glue left behind will come off with a careful wipe of laquer thinner.

19. Life Style? I'm one of the graybeards also. I tried a year or so ago to get out of cars. Thought I could do it, but couldn't. First car was a black 48 Chevy with(you need to guess?) red wheels and Porta Walls. The last one I had up until this one was a black truck with guess what, red wheels and white walls. Damn, there's a trend here. With the car I have now I go to bed thinking what I want or need to do to make it more to my liking. 71 years old and can't quit. Not a lifestyle but something I dearly love doing.
    Later,
    Dick

20. catdad49

catdad49

Enjoyed the video and was surprised that the lettering looked so good! My finger was aching at the thought of painting both those doors and the brush and model paint produced a good chuckle. Thanks Cat

21. texdesoto

texdesoto

"young Garth Brooks", just what I thought.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, indeed. Well said Boss. Love how you stir the pot :).

23. x2!
    I liked that laid back music, the doors were o.k...

24. 32John

32John
    from Sydney Oz

That was funny- hope I'm still saying that at 71!

25. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Bishop.... I understand the point being made, but for a custom painter..... That was torture.

Nads..... That was hard to watch, sorry.

Agreed. Someone teach that boy how to sand and paint. This film frustrated me on many levels. A film demonstrating a persons desire to accomplish art is admirable. But the lack of basic preparation, from the dry sandpaper scene, where he scuffs up the bondo, leaving a big visible edge, to the wet sanding, using his finger tips to put more grooves into the already poor surface.... Its his lack of basics that drove me crazy.

I Love the indie films that show and promote artists in their natural environment, the blacksmiths, the sign painters etc. Those are the guys that need to be recognized. This film, and film maker fails because he chose a convenient guy doing poor quality work. (even the lettering was weak at best)

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm with ya. I can appreciate the quality of the 'film', but am completely lost on the purpose... Besides being an advertisement to sell the pair of doors.

Maybe this sort of film is one of those 'art' forms I don't understand.
    Sure wouldn't be the first time.

Ryan, your mention of this Lifestyle reminds of this post. I do somewhat agree on the cars being a lifestyle, but tend to think of them as just being part of my life. They by no means define me, but are no doubt a part of who I am. That's all...

You're 71!? I had no idea, would've guessed you ten years younger.

Malcolm

27. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

that is so well said....I agree 110%

28. Wildfire

Wildfire

Flat black primer doors also make good chalkboards. Keeps the kids entertained and you can write yourself notes on there when the CRS kicks in.

29. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

Hard not to notice the dip container. His ass did nothing for me :p

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's kinda what I was thinking.:rolleyes: