Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling 289 Fords -" Gano Filter"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Dec 12, 2012.

1. I was just told it is a must that 289 Ford owners install a GANO FILTER on their top radiator hose!

Problem - I was told small chips of the 289 engine block chip off and clog radiator and can cause servicing the radiator !

Solution - Install a Gano Filter on top hose to trap particles!

** Ever hear of it ? Have you guys used one ?

Sounds like a helpful Tip !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. George

George

Never heard of that.

3. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I've owned many small block Ford-powered vehicles since 1979, put hundreds of thousands of miles on them and have never had a problem. Stay away from people selling or recommending crap like that and you'll be fine.

4. ............"it is a must" sounds like a sales pitch to me. I've never heard that a Ford 289 is any more or less susceptible to having particles floating around in the cooling system than any other engine. These filters may actually be of some benefit, I wouldn't deny that, but a regular flush of the system with new coolant added would be a more judicious choice.

5. See pictures i just added to my orig post of such filter

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

Pretty sure all the chips in my'69 motor have been "washed away" by now.

7. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

never heard of it

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I would throw the bull shit flag on that one!

9. I've never heard of a Gano Filter,,I've had several 260/289/302's in my lifetime and never needed one.

Sounds like a snake oil salesman. HRP

10. ....And if you put a magnet on the fuel line ,the gas molecules align,resulting in outstanding gas mileage...Hurry now and we'll double your order...Just pay seperate shipping & handling...!!

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

"I've been told..." ??? who told you this? The lady waiting for her "French model" date on the TV commercials?

12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

That's a new one on me. This isn't offered by the Hoffman Group is it? :)

13. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Not cheap either !!! prices

14. BCR

BCR

I invented a carburetor that will allow all small block Fords to get 100mpg. The big three and oil companys are after me so I gotta go!!!!!!!!!

15. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

I can't believe a lot of you guys don't know what a Gano Filter is. I bought (back in the 90's) and used two of them on my cars. On my 64 Ranchero with a 260 it caught a lot of crap and junk from going into the radiator and I had one on my rebuilt 69 Camaro (350 engine). On the Ranchero it was routine to take it out and clean the filter then put it back in, it worked great on the Ford. On the Camaro it caught a little bit of stuff but the Chevy was pretty clean compared to the 260 Ford. So for me it worked and a old radiator guy told me to install one when I was fighting cooling problems on the 260 way back when.

16. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

I have a cummins that apparently around 150,000 the casting sand comes out of block,plugs steam holes....causes hot spots...I am not worried about the rad but may have saved a warped head and deck. That looks cheap to me if it works!

17. Were you told that by the guy selling the gano filter?

Never seen one never used one and probably never will. You are being sold a bill if goods.

18. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

I know where there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn...

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What we really need is a GUANO filter.

20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Sure sounds like "guano" to me,I'd be leery about something that sounds like it came out of a bat's behind.You tend to see more posts about SBC's with heating issues than you do SBF's. Maybe this will be a "As seen on TV" item I can pick up at Walgreens or Dollar General just in time for Christmas.

21. What happens when the filter plugs up? There are many bypass coolant filters on the market for much less. I worked radiators for a while and have never seen one plugged up with block fragments. Every thing else that would fit through the filler neck, but not pieces of engine block.

22. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

lol

23. I once went to a Ford dealership to buy a car and the salesman told me that the fod was the most economical and dependable car on the market, funny thing the salesman at the Chevy dealer told me the same thing. :rolleyes:

I had a telemarketer call me once and tell me that I needed a product that I never heard of so I bought it because he should know, right? I still got it and am saving it for when I really gold metalic need eye shadow. Best buy I ever made.

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Just make a habit of flushing your cooling system regularly, and go to your local autozone, pep boys, napa, whatever and get a zinc or magnesium sacrificial anode to catch some of what's in your cooling system. That filter would need to be regularly checked so as not to impede flow anyways, so you might as well just spend the time doing proper cooling system maintenance...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. So what makes you think that common sense and proper vehicle maintenence has anything to do with this discussion. You sound like you have become a hot rodder or something. Next thing you know you'll be suggesting that someone wax their car if they want the paint to last. ;) :D:D

26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

P'n'B, all this snow must have made me lose my mind for a second there. Proper maintenance sounds ridiculous when you could just keep bolting on new stuff every time there is a problem ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. 'Beaner, You kill me.:rolleyes:

28. 1gearhead

1gearhead

The filter is real and it works. Since most states have outlawed hot tanking blocks it is possible that rust inside the block can come loose after rebuilding and clog the radiator. The filter catches most of these particles and prevents them from clogging the radiator core. This is not just restricted to SBF, but is applicable to all older engines. I have been using then for years and they work! Those of you how are puttiing these filters down are just to stupid and ignorant to recognize a good product when you see it. Nuff Said!!

29. Rob68

Rob68

I have used them in the past. They did seem to work. I used them after putting in new radiators and they did capture small chunks of debris. I dont remember them being too terribly expensive but that was 20 years ago. Whether or not it was really needed, I dont know but seeing all that gunk in the filter and not clogging the radiator was peace of mind for me.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Run more than a few 289's and 302's over the years, total crock of shit.