Register now to get rid of these ads!

What paints etc will be banned in 2013?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Dec 11, 2012.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Every year I go into the local auto paint store and ask what I need to buy before it gets banned in the new year. California is way overboard on restrictions.

What do we need to stock up on in the next few weeks?

2. A Boner

A Boner

I heard that pink paint is on the short list.

3. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Money, the new paints cost as much as I use to pay for chrome.
    Probably be just waterborne after 2014.
    Take out the lead and put in isocyanites,,,SMART:eek:

4. 56FRLN

56FRLN

I don't know about anyone else, but these are the pants I would LIKE to see banned :eek:

[​IMG]

5. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I remember pissing and moaning over having to pay $35.00 a gallon for red SuperMax. Most other colors were around $19.00.

When Iso became the norm I couldn't fathom what the reasoning must have been....still can't.

There is a paint store in Bishop, CA that still sells PPG A/E and Duracryl acrylic lacquer...factory packs only, but at least it's still available. They ship, too.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

wouldnt it be quicker to name things that will be LEGAL? there are 68 new laws going into effect every day this year
    (you can google that)

7. Streight8

Streight8

First on list is anything you can paint yourself and get a decent job.
    I not sure what its like down there but because we are such a small market up here lots of stuff you can get, the manufacturers are not even trying to supply for us anymore. Even the pros are going nuts because the companies are trying to improve stuff faster than the laws are changing. The rusty patina look may become de rigueur instead of just trendy.

8. Very little of the changes are due to the laws. They are continually trying to "improve" their technology as a sales ploy to try and gain other manufactures business with the "latest and greatest". There are massive amounts of money being made in paint sales and if you can convince someone that yours is better than someone elses or you are innovating more than the other guys it can be a huge advantage.

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

K-13 is right. Although the EPA has tremendous influence over the chemicals, it really comes down to big business and profits.

No different than electronics... The computer, iPad, iPhone, Android, etc, we buy today is already obsolete when it leaves the store shelf. The next version is just waiting for the sales of the one we just bought to level off before convincing us we need the Latest and Greatest.

10. big 10-4

11. If you are doing it your self.
    Here are a couple things you can.
    #1 Buy paint outside of the L A basin.
    #2 Buy your paint in Arizona or Nevada.
    We just did a repaint of our GMC motor home using DuPont Imron aircraft paint.
    We painted in our outside carport/paint booth.
    At this time Kalifornia is not checking where we are buying our paints.
    Only time will tell when they start doing so!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  12. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

That's called advertising.................in prison.:rolleyes:

13. Yes Isocyanites.
    You can't smell them and it will kill you!
    Please do not paint without a good respirator and change out the filters each day our when you take a brake.

14. It's called the EPA

15. It's called the EPA and Kalifornien just voted for more of the same:eek:

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I've got NO problem with trying to minimize chemical pollution. We all have to live in the environment around us. I'd rather it was ever cleaner than ever more dangerous. I don't know why anyone else does either...well, except for their personal inconvenience.

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

In some way the USA is behind with all this paint stuff.

Canada and Europe have been using water base or water borne paint for years with no real problems other then learning how to shoot with it.

Here in Florida there are a few high end body shop using water base paint and when I asked my friend what made them change to water base since it is not the law here yet he told me they do a great deal of bodywork on cars like BMW's and they also do all the work in this area on Ferrari's and cars like that.

He said if you are not using water base paint you won't get any of the high cars since they are all shot using the stuff.

He also told me the metallic colors flow much better with water base then with solvent base and there is no time limit on shooting the solvent based clear coat which is different.

Some where down the road I think this will become standard operating procedure for painting cars.

I have talked to a number of guy's who are using a 3 stage turbo system and the tell me some crazy stories about shooting cars right in there garage with another car sitting right next to the one being shoot with no over spray getting on the other car.

Because of the lack of over spray they are using a great deal less paint.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

18. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Say what you want about the EPA... I don't care much for 'em either, but.....things can't stay the same. Even if the EPA were shut down today the gate has been opened and new technology will surpass the old...

After spraying thousands of gallons..honest, literally thousands..of catalyzed material I, like many other old time painters, am feeling the effects. All the materials we've used throughout our lives, including lacquer thinner, enamel reducer, wax and grease remover, mineral spirits, on and on.... Are all dangerous and cause the same injuries and illnesses. Nerve damage, blood born diseases and cancers.....

It's a changing world and there is a whole new crop of painters out there that, at some point in the near future, won't even remember these old materials.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with water born paint material and a whole lot that's right. If I were still in the trade I'd be painting nothing but water based

EPA??? Those bastards:eek::eek: Oh, but for the good old days when you couldn't see the car in front of you in CA. (Or any other big city).
    Remember those spectacular sunsets that where the light was diffused through the brown, smelly, cough inducing, headache giving smog???? ;):)

19. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

For a few years now here in the UK we have had to have "water based paint" and its horrible to use
    all the baking and spraying booths had to be changed due to how the paint would sit on the parts being sprayed
    cost a lot more to buy too which isnt helping as paint repair has gone through the roof
    literally

20. Not pickin' on you Rich, cause I agree...however, I will say the arm of the EPA has gotten a little long and reaches for things that really don't do as much to help as to punish. Case in point, we were talking to our paint rep yesterday about purchasing a couple new guns, at which point he advised us we should strongly consider buying matching gun airflow regulators as well. My tech said, "no, we'll just transfer our old ones to the new guns". The rep says "fine, but if they aren't by that manufacturer, for that gun, you can be fined $500 for every gun with a mismatched regulator" :eek: He explained that when guns are certified by the EPA, the regulator is considered a part of the gun. Now how an attachment with a knob that regulates air flow to the gun is critical in the scheme of things regarding pollution is way beyond my comprehension. Seriously, if a SATA gun has an Iwata regulator on it, it's considered illegal. Gee thanks EPA ;)

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Fake Patina paint.

22. Well you guys got played. I do not know of any shops in Canada that had to change their booths when we moved to water. Most had to add some air blowers to help speed the drying process but that was not a major expense. The new water based paints cover better and color match better. As far as expense you actually use less paint due to the better coverage so that isn't exactly accurate either. Sounds like body shops used it as an excuss to make more money.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  23. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

No pickin' offense taken, Earl:). I agree completely..
    The problem with Bureaucracies is that they are run by Bureaucrates... People with little or no knowledge about the area they are charged with overseeing.

24. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Just returned from a week of water borne training at the Spies Hecker school in Chicago. I'm soon to be 60 yrs old and have been painting since I was 15, Water bourne is the most amazing paint Ive ever sprayed. Best as far as coverage(2 coats) no flash time between base coats and some unbelievable matches!

25. hd4unm

hd4unm

Well things are a changin' aren't they. Maybe this is becoming worth Gold! Take a guess at the year(s). I loved using it, left over stock from long ago and it's sloshing around in the can just fine. Can't wait to lay in down over some pearl again. Anyone else have this laying around?

Happy Painting!
    Dave

[​IMG]

26. busajack

busajack
    from wy

27. hd4unm

hd4unm

Look at the back of his pants, he crapped himself.

28. Gator

Gator

Screw the paint, I'll take tat case of Makers Mark right behind it.

29. Gator= my hero ;)

30. papastoyss

papastoyss

All I know about painting is to take the car to Earl Scheib & hound him 'til it's done! :) Seriously, there's a good article in the Feb. issue of Rod & Custom about waterborne paints. Sounds to me that waterborne might be a boon for the home shop do it yourself guys.