Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Floor shifter suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Dec 10, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Some of you know we have a '27 T Roadster under way for my wife. I'm going for a late 50's early 60's build style.

It has a '57 283 with three Rochester two barrels, a generator, and a PowerGlide. Question is, what would be an appropriate floor shifter to use? I'm not married to "period perfect" but certainly want a nod to traditional. I'd prefer not to do Lokar, too trendy and way too obvious.

I'd love to find a Gennie Shifter, but that's not too likely. So what would be appropriate here?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. I ran a early mustang floor shifter in my bucket in the 60's
    How about a 60's chev powerglide floor shifter?

3. or if you want to go new hurst and B&M both make a universal automatic shifter that looks like an old hurst 3 or 4 speed floor shifter. I like the hurst but a lot of people swear by the B&M.

Hwere are a couple of pics of the hurst shifter in the Pusher ( its called an Indy)

Attached Files:

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

5. daddio211

daddio211

Hmmm, I have a few Mustang buddies (shhh, don't tell Ryan!) that I could check with. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beaner, thank you! Forgot all about those, they look better and they're a lot cheaper than Lokar too.

I know which one you're talking about, and they look good in the magazines but they're part of the Hoffman Group and I ain't do business with those people. Literally "Chinese knock off junk" with a HUGE dishonest marketing push. Thank you anyway.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  6. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I didn't know that! Thank you for letting me know now too!

Hurst it is!

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have a friend running the B&M in his gasser and it looks great, but not meant for banging any shifts! If you're going to just put it in "drive" and go, it's a good unit, but detents are pretty shallow and easy to miss a gear when getting on it.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice traditional column with a column shifter made to work the PG would free up some valuable floor space in that T....

9. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Here's the B&M "Unimatic" in my COE - been there over 20 years.... Did just replace the cable. Summit carries the shifter and parts.

[​IMG]

10. They are both well built shifters. A friend had the B&M unit in a '55 Stude, it seems a little stiff to me but it didn't keep me from driving and grinning when he needed to borrow my truck and left the Stude in its place.

11. greg ducato

greg ducato

Shiftworks, www.shiftworks.com , has a new line of shifters that are both simple and traditional looking, plus the have an integral neutral safety switch and backup light switch.

12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

How about a floor shift from an early chevy II - it bolts to the tailshaft (you need the specific tailshaft too) it (the shifter) is small, chrome, and traditional

13. Erickson

Erickson

Personally I love the side detent gennie shifter. And they look at home in traditional cars. I used to work for them (actually Duce America building steel body 32 roadsters) and I know that the shifters are good quality. I have build cars with gennie, locar, and b&m shifters but prefer the gennie shifter by far.

14. TurboX2

TurboX2

The 63/64 SS Impala has some nice shifters. They would work better than a Ford if you were going the trad. style!

15. AlDeBear

AlDeBear
    from Florida

16. 48bill

48bill

Why have you ruled out Gennie?

I have one in my F-1 with 65,000 miles and no problems. I am putting a used one in the 26 modified and just got rebuild parts from Gennie (September 2012) as the previous owner messed the used one up thru his stupidity. Phone number is 303-623-5789.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know you don't want to go Lokar, but I like them. Hope you find something you like.

Myself ,I'm using the Lokar Nostalgia with a 16" stick on my C4.

18. When I was looking for a shifter for the Ranch Wagon I opted for a Hurst shifter that had been laying around gathering dust for more than 40 years,,When I sold my 63 Falcon Sprint less engine and transmission I still had the 4 speed shifter.

I simply disassemble the entire shifter assembly and used just the shifter,,drilled two holes and bolted it ti the 5-speed. HRP

[​IMG]

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one in my T in the early 70's with a cast iron powerglide. You don't want a real tall shifter as a tall one although it looks cool will get in the way in a bucket all the time. My wife would sneak the T bucket out and run around town when I was at work and even ran out of gas in it once.

A stubby Hurst handle on top of a 60's 70's oem shifter woudl look pretty good and be pretty simple.

20. daddio211

daddio211

That does look good, thanks BB!

I considered that, but I don't have a spare Ford column laying around. I like the Lime Works one but don't wanna shell out that kind of money!

Yep, definitely the right look. Thanks!

I'll have to check them out a little closer. I looked at their PG stuff, kind pricey. Didn't see any shifters. Thanks for the info!

This PG is out of a '57 Bel Air. So is the 283 and the heads. I like your thinking though!

Sucks that they're gone! Would love to find a HAMBer with one for sale!

Hmmm... If I could only find a 63/64 SS floor shifter that the Impala guys don't think is gold plated...LOL!

Great LEVER, but no shifter included. If I had something like a Gennie shifter it'd be PERFECT!

Are you certain? I was sure Gennie had closed their doors!? I'll try calling tomorrow. I LOVE their stuff!

I liked the one in my A Tudor, and the one in my dad's '32 highboy roadster. Just looking for something a little "diff'rent" this time.

Cool man!

Hmmm... food for thought!

21. Torchie

Torchie

The problem with using a Chevelle shifter or a Impala shifter is that they were designed to fit into a console. All the mechanics of the shifter were hidden by the console and in a bucket they would not look good. You can buy them repro for about $150.00(at least that's what they were about 6 years ago) I would think that you would want something like a Hurst for a 60's style build and just put a boot around it.
    Also I found that alot of the so-called universal shifters did not work with powerglide as far as shift indexing went.

22. Gator

Gator

I used a B&M unimatic in my '55 Chevy, got it NEW at a swap meet for less than a hundred bucks.

It's no race car part by any means, but it comes with a neutral safety switch and is threaded for a regular knob (vs Lokars push button)

And since its cable operated its easy to mount pretty much wherever you want it.

FWIW Beaner, I think B&M and Hurst are the same entity now - but I could be wrong - it's happened before. :D

Here's mine in the Chevy:

[​IMG]

23. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Foxcraft or Dragstar were early 60's shifters that were pretty good looking!

24. Gator you may very well be correct on the corporate umbrella, most of those companies are not owned by the original companies any more.