Register now to get rid of these ads!

1 of 3 remaining supercharged V8 Cords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOOB, Dec 11, 2012.

1. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I really don't care if you think this is off topic, this thing is a jaw dopper. 1 of 3 known rumble seat roadsters in existence. A total of seven were originally built in this configuration. Besides that, front wheel drive, 100+ mph, supercharged flathead, hidden headlights, etc. etc....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I have some more rarity photos if anyone wants to see some more vintage factory performance.

3. I've seen a coupe version of this car in person and it was absolutely breathtaking. The shifter on the column still blows my mind

5. A Factory custom. I see many styling cues 1940s Customisers mimic. Please post more.

6. I have a few pictures of the coupe I'll try to dig up for you guys and post later on, It was on display at the state fair of Virginia

7. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

BOOB, another of the three remaining V8 Cords you show, is in a local private museum.

(can't tell you where; or the owner would kill me!)

8. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

That's a beautiful, rare car. I'd love to see more photos of it.

Maybe I'm too new, but how could this car possibly be off topic?

9. Fenders

Fenders

Cord called it a "front drive," not "front-wheel drive," so my question is -- is that VIN plate authentic?
    (I'd guess it is with the $$ that went into the restoration, but it just piques my curiosity.)

10. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Dont get too excited, these aren't "factory customs" like the Cord but they were high performance for their time.

The last one is for me. One of my all time favorites.

Attached Files:

11. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I'm having trouble with some of the better photos, I'm working on it.

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

One of my dad's friends has a factory supercharged Cord sedan. Same frontend, etc, just a four door sedan. Very cool cars!

13. mlagusis

mlagusis

I met a guy when I lived in Idaho who has a Chord Sedan that is supercharged. I would guess late 20's early 30's. He was given the car in High school 15 years ago, started working on it and now it is setting waiting for him to get the time and money to finish it off. Hopefully 30 years from now the story has changed. I met too many guys in their late 70's in Idaho that were "going to fix her up...so no she ain't for sale"

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car for sure, but it seems to me that more than 3 supercharged ones were made. The chrome exhausts were indicators of supercharging, and I have seen a lot of pictures of both convertibles and sedans with the chrome pipes. I have never heard of a Cord coupe; I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

15. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

People seem touchy on here these days. It really pisses me off.

16. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I was told it was one of three in this configuration, I should have specified that. I'll get more details

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  17. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

That is what is called a "Sportsman", the "Phaeton" was similar but had a back seat and rear quarter windows. The stainless exhausts were on the supercharged engines but were also available on the non supercharged engines as well.

18. tjm73

tjm73

My Dad had a L-29 Cord (sold at last years Amelia Island auction). It was Green on green. Way prettier car in my opinion. But the drive train on the coffin nose Cords is cooler.

19. Fenders

Fenders

Keep in touch == you can buy it off his estate.

20. 296ardun

296ardun

Off topic? Not at all, this is great, thanks for posting, nothing to get the juices flowing like a rare Cord...

21. Please post it again on this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397594&page=294

I don't want to hijack your posting. Enjoy the rest of the thread.

We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

22. that one is what was known as a Convertible Coupe - sometimes called the Sportsman, although Cord never called it that. There 195 made, 64 of which were Supercharged versions. According to Sports Car market Magazine, an authority on rare cars like this, close to 40 of these cars remain, so I wonder where the 1 of three comes from? Maybe in that color combination or something

23. From: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10031/Cord-812.aspx

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=5 width=540><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This is a very special Cord - the original owner was Tom Mix, the first great western film star, who made 348 films between 1915 and 1935. Just 196 Supercharged Cord 812 Roadsters were built. This example is one of only three with a rare set of options, including an external mounted spare. The other two belonged to jazz singer Al Jolson and actress Barbara Stanwick.

The car is easily capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph and Tom Mix, America's first cowboy movie star, was travelling nearly 80 when he missed the sign saying 'Bridge Under Construction.' Ironically, Mix, who performed his own stunts, died when he was hit in the head with an aluminum suitcase filled with money.

Although going through several owners, the car was acquired by the current owner, who directed a complete restoration back to the condition when owned by Mix. The car has all the custom features that Mix added during his ownership.

The Cord featured plenty of innovations - front wheel drive, no running boards, electric-pneumatic pre-selector shifting, disappearing headlights, streamlined styling and an instrument panel that looked like it came from an airplane.

The 1936-37 Cords were powered by a Lycoming V-8 motor that developed 125 horsepower (Lycoming Motors was part of the Cord Corporation). A supercharger was available in 1937 and this car is so equipped.

24. The eyewitness accounts said that Mix was literally standing on the brakes when he left the road.

25. F&J

F&J

I had never heard about the Mix accident before.

who was the famous owner who wrecked an L29 Cord 4dr conv sedan in a crash with truck. Huge car, low slung with the front wheel drive...classy

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I had a big scale model of one of these as a kid. Wowed me then and still does, also got to see a sedan earlier today at a friends shop.

27. BELLM

BELLM

This at Jeffs?

28. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

fantastic pix, lets see more. I don't know how it could be off topic. Factory hotrod... peroid totally cool stuff. Thank you!

Matt

29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

F&J, Mac the Yankee, HJManiac

The Cord is one of my all-time fave cars: Hidden Headlights, Front Wheel Drive, Superchargers ! They were way ahead of the game !! Designed by Gordon Buehrig they were works of art !

I've only seen one in-person...it was a yellow 4dr...but just so kool it would make you drool !

I've collected Tom Mix memorablia & premiums since I was a kid. I also have a syndicated Radio Show called "The Breakfast Serial" that I've produced since 1973.

My info on Mix, his Cord, and, some of his History can be found, along with an Episode of one of his Radio Shows at this link...
    http://www.serial.thewwbc.net/gpage4.html

Tom Mix was...like all of us, a really hardcore car guy. He had many different makes during his lifetime...he was also the first movie Superstar to make a minimum of a million dollars a year. AND that was in the 1920's before the heavy load of Income Tax !!

Enjoy !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

if you can't tell it's not in a museum, just someone's collection.