Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry I didn't see your question until right now. My Tru-Spokes are 4 lug. As far as brakes go, I went with a kit from Scarebird right here on the H.A.M.B. and would recomend it to anybody with one of these cars. It uses Nissan Stanza rotors and Chevy Celeberty calipers. Earsy, cheap and works well.

2. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Congrats!!! You are most fortunate. Looking good.:D

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks man! Took it out to GoodGuy's this weekend and had a small crowd around it all weekend. Judy was massively stoked because she had never had that connection to something she owned and had helped build getting that much recognition. Plus, yesterday she and MIKE's wife Mary both learned to drive old cars in it in the fairly empty West end bowl of the venue... It was a good day!

4. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Interesting thought of yours... learn to drive old cars. I haven't thought of it that way, but you totally would need to, as it's so different from late-models. The experience is so much richer with all the sounds and smells and vibrations that all carry various data that the driver needs to be aware of. Glad it was such a good time for you. I was supposed to get my wagon in the garage last weekend, but the help cancelled. My wife is going to work on it with me so I'm sure she will have a similar experience.
    peace.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was really shocked at the two girls reluctance to drive the wagons. (Mike and Mary have a '62 Chevy wagon) I just jump into anything of any age and just go. Not so with these two! I even set Judy's car up with a Mustang floor shifter because I realized she has never pulled a lever on a column shift... Even an automatic! Sure was proud of her though. Next is getting her to drive it up to the grocery store and around the neighborhood. That stupid Honda of hers is doomed!

Edit. One more "glamor shot" from the "have a drink with H.A.M.B.ers" deal the other night....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Awesome!
    My wife is already used to old cars. Her daily is a 66 Mustang and the newest vehicle we own is a '72 Chevy shortbed. She hasn't driven the race car since the new motor and hasn't driven the truck while towing the trailer, so I think we can start the advanced class... doughnuts and trailer parking :)

7. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Same spindles? Did you also need to swap the master cylinder?
    How low did you go in the rear? Once I get the falcon in the garage I plan on doing a little work but really just want to drive it.
    Looks great.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The wagon looks great Chip!

9. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Got new front tires so now I have clearance. They are 185/70 14s Rears are 195/75
    [​IMG]

Still need to wash the blue off the whitewalls

10. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry, I didn't see your question until today.

Yes the spindles and hubs are the same stuff on the car already. Pull the drums off, take about .060 off the outer diameter of the hubs, slide the rotors on, bolt the caliper brackets on, mount the calipers, done. Simple. For the master cylinder, you could pull the residual valve out of the stocker and run the stocker with an aftermarket residual for the rear, but it was just as simple to use a '74 Maverick disc/drum unit with the Falcon rod and an extra line. No need to mess with residual pressure valves or anything extra. Bolt it on and go, although I did clearence my firewall brace a bit with a die grinder and abrasive drum. But I tell you what, this thing stops on a dime! Lots and lots better than the stock drums. The only drawback for you is that the wheels you have right now might not clear the calipers. The later Maverick four lugs will fit though.

The rear suspension is a different story altogether. My car came to me about two inches too high in the rear. I had the rear springs de arched 3 1/2" to start, then I ended up making some 1" blocks to get it where I was happy. Everything is teflon lined, and all the bushings are urathane stuff made for a Mustang but narrowed by me. If you want to know how to do that I'll do a tech piece on it as I shot one as I worked. The reason I de-arched instead of stacking blocks was not only scrub radius, but when you de-arch a spring, it still has basically the same amount of "droop" as it did originally when you jack it up. These cars are murder to try to get the rear wheels off of when dropped any substancial amount. That larger amount of natural "droop" allows the rear end to drop low enough to get the rear wheels out. Not a big deal, but important.

Now a question for you. Where in heck did you find those tires in those sizes with a narrow white wall?

12. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

tires and wheels look great!

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

14. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Its up around the the Cottonwood area, its a small little town between Prescott and Flagstaff. Go get them! Took me forever to find them

15. cage66

cage66
    from reno

16. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Someone with 2 falcons in Phoenix grabbed those wheels today.
    Nice score he was telling me he would sell me both sets for $200. Maybe because I was so far away.
    Wish I was closer or he was closer to a greyhound.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That asshole in Phoenix actually has THREE Falcons... ME! That bastard, I hate that guy and so should you!
    Don't feel too bad cage, these are pretty crusty and I'm not too sure that they will clean up well enough to use. Old Earll, the guy that sold them to me is a great guy and we talked for about an hour as we did the deal, but he was damn perplexed as to why all these Falcon people were calling from all over the country about this set of wheels. He did tell me the "kid" in Reno would be dissappointed though... I was just trying to figure out who it was.

18. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just picked these up today, pretty much brand new!

Attached Files:

• 4lug.jpg
      4lug.jpg
      File size:
      93.3 KB
      Views:
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Rocketsam! I was going to see if maybe you wanted the slots that I had to take with the wires in this deal as sort of a finders fee, but you did well yourself today!!!

20. cage66

cage66
    from reno

He must have felt bad because he emailed me to say sorry someone in Phoenix bought them. Im not upset. Like I told him, now I dont have to figure out how the hell to get them. I also told him I bet I know who it is. haha
    I was hounding my friends in Az but no one was close enough to help out, the one who is close is a potheat hippy so he was no help at all. (imagine that)

BUT if you decide that they are too much trouble I may be interested still. Especially since you are closer to a greyhound.:D
    Im not a kid anymore (maybe to some of you) Im 33 but my email address is sk8nchase so I am sure thats the image I get.
    I have to say, you guys get all the deals in Az, I see so many parts for my falcon and Bus out there.
    I need to move.

21. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Need Louvers, yeah, those slots are nice too! Ive been hunting down these rims for years, luckily i stayed up on Craigslist last night and seen the post, i didnt hesitate to pick them up. Now i have a set of 4 Lug Wire Baskets with bullet lug nuts and bullet center caps that need to go!

22. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Wow, sweet Cragars!

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That was actualy a bit of a drive to get them, about three hunderd miles round trip. I felt bad 'cause I talked to him the second Rocketsam posted the link, but I've been so damn busy I couldn't get up there 'till today. Earl is one cool old guy! He was in "The Sabres" car club in Denver for about thirty years before moving to AZ, and told me a couple of stories about going to the early NSRA nationals in his channeled '35 Ford truck. He is ahving some problems with his VW kit car and I hung out for a bit to help him out a bit while Judy and our dogs played in his yard. When all was said and done I ended up with not only the Tru-Spokes, but the aluminum slots as well. Now I have two sets of those as well...

24. soulsponjah

soulsponjah

Nice find! They're out there if you look hard enough. Welcome to the 4lug club...hahaha

And I thought I was bad with collecting wheels :) 2 sets of Trus and slots..wow!

25. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

For any of you who have non-driving birds: how soon will you have it up and driving? I've got a way to go, but I'm hopeful the next three months will be kind.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Naw dude, I'm a full on cool wheel fetishist... Sad but true. My Halibrand affliction is actually worse than a drug habit. I have at recently just about sold my soul for a set of 16" no holes! I'll be working/paying for those for the next several years.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, I just launched the wagon 33 days ago and it already has 1400 more miles on it. I should be able to get the Ranchero on the road this spring, then my long suffering '62 62c sedan will get twidled with late next year after the Roadster pickup hits the road and the Plymouth gets repaired. somewhere in all this I have to build a "T" touring and "A" coupe for paying customers. I see very little sleep in my future.

28. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Mine is up and running, but ive stopped taking it out due to the body mods and taking the whole car apart. I have to finish up the roll pans, radio, and just some small filler work and its off to paint and the upholstery.

29. von zipper

von zipper

Very nice! I have a set on my 63 Ranchero! But yours are in better shape! Why the spacers??:confused:

30. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

heres my 62 Ranchero

[​IMG]