Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you use Mylar in a seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Dec 10, 2012.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I was told by SMS that you can't use Mylar in seat. Is there any kind of Mylar that can be used in a seat?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Who is this SMS person? As far as I know, there is no law against putting whatever the heck you want in your seat. As for Mylar, that is what architects and engineers use to use to draw plans on back in the old days before everything went digital. Why would you want to put that in a seat? Might want to consider foam and/or springs like 99.91% of the rest of us.

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Want to use some of it in place of vinyl. Like maybe in a insert or a bit for boarder. Some of the samples I have are thin bit some of the others have a thick vinyl backing and seems like it could work. SMS is the fabric people I got the samples from. They say it's only for door inserts and would rip if you sat on it.

4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Here is what the sent me. ImageUploadedByTJJ1355188485.343163.jpg

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

The Mylar used for drawings is not stretchy and won't give and flex like vinyl does. Would just crinkle and yes would probably rip after a bit. Unless there are different kinds of Mylar than that that act differently, I don't see how it is a good material for seats.

Why do you want to use it? What are you trying to do that you can't just use regular materials?

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Mylar probably won't stitch very well either and will rip easily at the seams. Architects used it to draw on because it was so stable and not flexible, kept the drawing measurement very accurate unlike paper. Not sure those properties are good ones for stitching into a seat.

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Well, I want to use it in a seat the same way you would use it in a door panel of the fifties. For example I want to do the interior all one color and use some Mylar instead of a different color for accent. Think of a bench seat in a model a. Maybe the back of seat have a Mylar V at the top and tuck and roll below the V.

8. Interior trim Mylar is what was used by auto manufacturers to add some glitz to an interior. It was and can only be used on trim panels due to its construction.

9. historynw

historynw

Isn't that the chrome over plastic welting stuff that peels away over time.:eek:

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Some of these samples are thin. And some have thick vinyl backing (sewable). The thick stuff seems very durable. I may try it and see what happens.

11. It's like foil on vinyl and yes it does peel.

Appearently you want to be convinced that you are right and the trim company doesn't know what they're talking about.

So I say.... Hell yea, go for it! It'll be bitchin' cool man!

12. GREASER815

GREASER815

Why? In my opinion that is not going to stay looking good for any period of time.

13. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

dsiddons>>>Is there any kind of Mylar that can be used in a seat?>>>

It's called Dacron. Same type of polyester as Mylar only processed differently. Most often used as fairly sun-resistant sailcloth in boats, ultra-lights & hang gliders.

Jack E/NJ

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

They have hundreds of samples. The lady told me this stuff has to be heated to a vinyl surface. She may be partially correct. But some of the samples she sent me are not of that type. The back is exactly the same as marine vinyl. Which means to me it is meant to be sewin between other vinyl materials. Plus I've been folding it and crunching it all day. Still no creases or tears.

15. Gator

Gator

Gary's upholstery has a 'brushed aluminum' vinyl in a couple different shades - not exactly the 'chrome' look of Mylar but it is auto/ marine upholstery material.

Garys upholstery

16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've seen it used on door panels, my Bonneville has little strips of it for accent. Probably a lot of other late 1950s / early 1960s cars had Mylar in door panels or other upholstery parts as well, but I think it would be hard to make it work on the seat itself - wear and tear from sitting on the seat would be hard on it.

The people at SMS probably know as much as anyone about what will work and what won't for upholstery materials, I'd follow their advice.

17. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

You are right. And I should. But I think I'm going to do it anyway. Everyone will hate it probably. I have vision! But I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I learn a lot from you all and also from my mistakes.

18. FAST57F100

FAST57F100
    from Washington

Yes Mylar can be used in a seat cover. My brother is an auto upholsterer and came up with this seat for my 57 F100. The inserts are woven vinyl used in a 58 Ford ranch wagon. (Purchased from SMS). He used the Mylar to make a break between the insert and the bolster. Looks great! It is a daily driver and was done about 4 years ago. It has been holding up well.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Here's my take. The mylar itself is not flexible or stretchable at all. The backing is. The backing will stretch, but the mylar itself won't. so what will eventually happen is the mylar will crack and look shaggy and probably peel pretty badly. The exception to the rule would be a small accent piece as above where it's not called upon to flex and stretch too much. In insert of it though... Not a great idea.

20. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Damn that's beautiful.

21. FAST57F100

FAST57F100
    from Washington

Thanks, he does good work! Here is a shot of the front seat he is doing for my 61 Merc. He had no original seat cover to start with. He patterned it from pictures and some seat covers from a couple of Fords! As you can see the mylar welt cord used to border the inserts. This is usally where mylar is used.

Seat frame blasted and painted, new padding and it is better than factory! He is in the Portland area for anyone in need of upholstery work! PM me for contact info.

Attached Files:

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, that is some nice looking work, very nice design sense. Wish he was close by, could use the seat in my truck redone something like that.

23. Wow! I dig the trim on the seats. The bench for the ford truck looks good as well. Does he have a web site?

24. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mylar is great for trim. Large panels will just not hold up over time. Now if your ride is not a daily and you are a lighter person than I, it might last pretty long. My wife had a pair of boots with Mylar over a stretchy backing, and the Mylar looks horrible. It will really come down to your amount of use. Would look killer though...

25. FAST57F100

FAST57F100
    from Washington

No he has not set up a web site yet.