Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I NOT drive a Model A Daily???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Its been my daily driver since May. I got nieghbor, a good friend I go over & chit/chat with, drink a beer, smoke a little weed & hang. He's 65, raised here in L.A. worked at a gas station in the late 60's on Slason been around cars himself, went to Vietnam, ex-drinker.

The issue is, when the topic turns to cars, well my A, He starts in on how dangerous my A is as I drive it like a regular car. That It wasn't meant to go over 40mph, how people died in those cars, . . . . just being a real downer, trying to convince me to not drive it regularly.

I don't shut him out, nor egnor him, I do listen. I'm that type of guy, I listen to all sides, mine & the opposing side. This A is my only running car right now. I've tossed the idea around of buying a "civilian" vehicle, but it just felt . . . . like boring, like that would probally lead to depression. It's just not my thing. I've asked my wife & she does worry a little, shit we all trip a little(worry), that the front end is gonna fall off & we're gonna flip & tumble & crash & burn, but she says, "Hell NO, I can't see you driving a civilian vehicle."

I'm 39. I dont think Im reckless, crazy, nor a racer/speeder, but I do drive a Model A typical agressive L.A. style, daily. And just so happens, my car jams.

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

3. 46stude

46stude

LOL- a couple beer drinkin' potheads concerned about the safety of a car. That's funny right there. :D

4. What engine and what brakes?

Charlie Stephens

5. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

I have model A pickup that i drive the crap out of and nobody is gonna talk me out of it. Its a hot rod its meant to be driven. Yes, of course things can happen but id rather be hit it my model A than some plastic crappy honda civic........So i say please,drive on. Theres not many of us left we need every hot rod on the road we can get.

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

7. You can drive a Model A daily,,,they did for years,,any car can be dangerous,,BTW,,if your drinking and smoking a little weed,,that can be dangerous.

This guy did it,,365 days in a Model A,, HRP

http://www.365daysofa.com/

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I moved to this area there was a local real estate guy who drove his 26 rpu every day to work. I would be sitting in traffic and see him drive by, necktie flying in the breeze, and I said some day that will be me. When I finished my own 27 I did just that, I drove it every day, just about, for 7 years and it sure made the trip to work a lot more fun. I just knew all those people sitting in their econoboxes were thinking I was having a better time than they were............and they were right. :D

So there is no reason you shouldn't be enjoying yours as much as you can, but just make sure your insurance on that particular car doesn't restrict you from using it for anything but shows, parades, club activities, etc. Some do.

Don

This is the rpu I used to see going to work every morning. The guy is my hero for using it like it should be used, and he still has the car today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  9. TERPU

TERPU

While I am not a fatalist nor pesimistic or paranoid. I believe you could choke to death on the ice in your soda, or the next heartbeat might explode a vessel in your brain, etc etc....

Drive your car and enjoy it, if you want to drive your car everyday then do it safely and carefully. IF it's your time then at least you will be doing something you love and if you are worried about dying then you better go hide in your room. But even there the Boogie man might get you Bwaahhaahhhaahhaaa.

Life's a dying process, learn to enjoy every second of it.

Tim

10. You can't make that shit up!

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

If your wife is freaking out a bit, maybe pass the doobie to her every once in a while.

Seriously, every vehicle has a potential for danger, some just look like more fun.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  12. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Don't let the politically correct, nanny-mentality group of Negative Nancys spoil your day. If you enjoy it and it's mechanically sound, drive it like Old Henry intended.

13. Would be more concered about being drivin by a stoner or alchoholic than driving a model A ever day.

14. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

If the car is unsafe would you drive it?

15. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

Consider yourself lucky that you live in a place where the climate allows you to drive a hot rod everyday...In my neck of the woods, we have to worry about rain, sleet , snow , rain more rain and a lot of rain....did I mention rain?

16. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Safer than a motorcycle, right? Funny how car safety requirements always escalate, but bikers can still fall off the damned things in 2012.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Dude, I drive my T Bucket every day, except rain. And I have been caught in the rain a few times. I freaking love it. Like Don stated, I look over at people in traffic and they are never having as much fun as I am. Some have a look of envy.

It's my little way of being a non-conformist. Life is a struggle every waking day, for the common man. I choose to go through it smiling. One day, I had a guy tell me I looked like I was having way too much fun. He didn't know the half of it.;)

18. 327Eric

327Eric

For every "safe" car on the road, there is something bigger. The only cars I ever felt safe in were my 69 Imperial, and my 71 Chrysler Newport.Drive it and enjoy it. Its easy to lose the feel for the oldies when you can buy a leather interior anything with ac and a sound system for 2500.

19. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ride my Harley almost daily here in Austin. Whenever I get my RPU finished I'll drive it with no second thoughts. Drive as if you expect other drivers won't see you and you will cut down your odds of having problems in traffic. And make sure you aren't on the road after the weed and alcohol........

20. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I have had my 34 coupe on the road since 85, drove it to work a lot. Its been to both coasts and all over the country. Been in one accident a couple years ago. Got rear ended by 2 cars at a red light. They both got towed away, the drivers got a ride in the ambulance, & I drove off. If I had been driving my 86 Suburban, I would have to scrape paint off the gas tank. Drive it & enjoy it.

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Drive what you like,when you like just lay off the weed before you post.

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Seriously the worry warts are taking over the planet. Resist. Stop worrying and just do. Worry about stuff when it comes up, not before.

23. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

It is a car, right?

24. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I'd love to have a Model A pu for a daily driver. Juice brakes, v8 60, heater, radial tires .....

Jasper6120 likes this.
  25. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I have to smoke weed before i drive my banger A. Otherwise its just too slow and i grind gears.

26. Tommy R

Tommy R

I understand where you're coming from. I fully intend to DD my '30 when it's done and there's several situations I've been in where afterward I've thought, "What if I were in the A just now?"

As long as you have decent brakes and can pull off a half-assed evasive maneuver reasonably safely, go for it. Just be wary (you likely drive that way anyway). Someone in something heavier can always plow into you, but that can be said no matter what you drive. So just enjoy what you're driving!!

BTW, I'd not seen that 360daysofa site before. Thanks for the link!

27. pmsl

28. I had a bit of interest till I read 'smoke a little weed'
    I stopped reading after that

29. Just re-read the OP - is it an outline for a Tarantino movie?? Was it a scene cut out of Jackie Brown - man, you couldn't make that shit up....

30. famdoc3

famdoc3

Did 95000 dd miles in mine in 6 years. Finally had to stop and take it back apart for rust repair. The weather here between the snow., salt and rain took its' toll on it. Rebuilding it now and will decide if it's a daily driver again in a year or so. Got hit in the back by a Camry it was a mess, I did have to polish out a scratch in my stainless bumper. Drive it and enjoy it. MIKE