Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much ATF ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

GM 350 Trans.

I had the Trans on a bench, emptied the torque converter, dropped the pan & replaced the screen. There should be no ATF in the Trans. now.

Poured a quart of ATF into the converter & put everything back together. It's back in the car.

How much ATF should be added before I crank it over?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Doesn't the dip stick say cold and hot on it?

3. slammed

slammed

2. Then add a quart as it runs, check-add-check. Shift into all gears (all) every now and then and sneak up on the full mark.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here goes, try this. Whilst stationary top it up sufficiently before running it through all the gears to displace all the air and pump oil where it should be. Top up until dipstick reads what it should at full level. Don't forget oil also in transmissions lines and cooler adds to total volume.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Put in 5 quarts and start the motor, shift through the gears. Then add 5 quarts more and you are done. I know someone will say that is not the right way to do it, but that is how our transmission shop told us to do a TH350 and it worked for us every time we did it.

Don

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I do it like Don, five or 6 in and start it, fill to mark on dip stick

7. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

It sounds like the capacity is about 10 quarts. Can I get a confirmation on this ?
    Don't want to over fill it or run it too dry.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers, as you never get all of the fluid out of the converter so there is no set amount to put in except on a new trans and new converter.

Put in four or five quarts, fire it up and start checking and adding until you get it to the right level.

9. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

12qts capacity unless you have a deep pan - then it's even more.....

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It seems if you research it that the actual capacity of a dry TH350 can be anywhere between 8 and 12 quarts, depending on the source of the information. The shop we use said 10 and when I looked at our motor manual it said 10, but here is what TCI says on their website:

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/fluid-capacity

Other places say different, up to 12 quarts with a stock pan. So yes, put in 8-10 and then fill to the full mark on the dipstick.

Don

11. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Remember the tran fluid will expand when the trans get hot so dont over fill cold. dont ask me how i know

12. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Do what Don said! Capacity will vary slightly depending on size of trans coole, size and length of cooler lines etc. the key thing that you already did was fill converter before installing! Ten quarts and then check it....cycle through the gears. Goferit!

13. slammed

slammed

Dude, thats why you sneak up on the mark. It is not cut and dry #'s.