Register now to get rid of these ads!

Learned my Plymouth lesson... now a clip question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Dec 7, 2012.

1. George

George

The other thing about lowering is make sure you can get the wheel out between the drum & rear fender if you have to change tires. My '48 is @ stock height & just barely squeezes out, & that's with jack stands under the frame & a small floor jack.

2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Seven inches is a lot of chop on that model roof, unless you are only 4 ft. tall or building a race car..

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My thougths EXACTLY...........way too radical a chop to be suitable for actually driving. It will be like sitting in a machine gun bunker with only narrow slits to see out of. Remember, you aren't up next to the windshield, but at least 18" or so away. Field of vision will be very limited.

Not to mention, the flatness of the Mopar roof will only be accentuated by the chop as it changes the visual proportions dramatically. Suggest you either photoshop or cut up some photographs first.

Ray

4. Lono

Lono

my 50 is chopped 7 and 8.5.
    [​IMG]
    Not that I'm trying to duplicate that exact look but I find the view acceptable. I had to cut 1.25 inches out of the seat frame to save my head. And your right, the flatter roof will leave little less room above the top of the windshield. The sawzall isnt out quite yet, I'v got time to fine tune the combination.
    The seats from the Lebaron sit almost 4 inches lower than my stock ford bench seat. I do hit 6 ft too.
    Tankwilson's 50 is chopped 7/8 and looks close to what I have in mind.
    [​IMG]

5. Lono

Lono

Been all over it Ray.

This one is 6 and 7.. photochopped
    [​IMG]

6. Lono

Lono

crap.. sorry thats so big.. its like yelling. :eek:

7. Don't do it! I let a buddy talk me into putting one on my 48 P-15 and it was all for nothing. on my 50 P-19 i just kept with the stock and put on disc and it is as good or better than that cross bar abortion.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not to quibble, but that photoshop looks like a lot less than 6 inches out of the front pillars. The rearward slope seems excessive for a 1 inch difference.

I have a '49 two door and I concede they have a TALL windshield.........:)

Tankwilson's '50 does LOOK cool".............

Ray

9. Lono

Lono

Yes Ray I played with design over accuracy in that picture. It's somewhat hard to get exacting measurements unless you have a measurement to go by. I usually use a piece of tape on the pillars to give me an accurate ruler to go by when I take picture myself..

Here's Tank's build. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66026

10. 73RR

73RR

ding ding ding I do believe we have a winner....

Check with olddaddy (www.rustyhope.com) for disc kits.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    This is my 51 with a 3" chop (real, not photoshop). Sorry man, no way that PS you posted is 6 and 7...

12. Lono

Lono

Nice chop on your business coupe project.
    Yes, as I said, I know its not an accurate chop in my picture. Think talkwilson's chop with more of a slope.

13. The chop really is a matter of taste. The amount taken out is no where near as important as how well it's done and how it flows with the car. I have 7" out of the A pillars on my Merc. I've never seen a Merc with a chop that heavy...... but it works.
    Oh, and I'm 6'5" lol

14. Lono

Lono

And it's always important whose name is on title too.

15. tankwilson

tankwilson

Yea that i where i got my disc brake kit. My frame started life stock. Yea i have done a few mods here and there with the air ride and dropped uprights but i don't see the reason to change it to an S10 or anything newer. I bought a 49 plymouth and would like to keep it that way. If you put it on an S10..... then is it a Plymouth S10????

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=18541
    Here is the link to my disc brake conversion. Sorry for the missing pics. Webshots decided to quit.

16. streetrodmuscle

streetrodmuscle

Did you also install dropped uprights? If so, any compatibility problems with the disc brakes?

17. hkestes

hkestes

No I do not have dropped uprights I just cut 1.5 coils off the springs.

Tank did both dropped uprights and disc brakes. I believe the only issue was the requirement to bend the arms, but it has been a while since I read his thread.

18. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

Yea that i where i got my disc brake kit. My frame started life stock. Yea i have done a few mods here and there with the air ride and dropped uprights but i don't see the reason to change it to an S10 or anything newer. I bought a 49 plymouth and would like to keep it that way. If you put it on an S10..... then is it a Plymouth S10????

It is no longer a MOPAR. It is now a moshit and since it has a shitrolet front clip it probably gets a small block shitty 350. Stay MOPAR!!!!

19. No longer a Mopar???
    You bagged yours, so now its a Mo-Firestone?
    My model A has a big block Olds. What should we call it?
    We are hot rodders. We build things to make them better. Faster. Lower. Louder. Whatever. We build them how we want them. We don't restore them.

mrloboy likes this.
  20. ^^^ amen!^^^

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there's a fine attitude to bring to a board that you made 41 on posts, in 3-years.

22. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

It only took 3 1/2 years to come up with that? Is the guy even still active on the HAMB? Gene

23. Hey. I'm old and slow.
    Yes. He's still active on the HAMB.

mrloboy likes this.