Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects RainierHooker's '28 A - Wartime Tub Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RainierHooker, Dec 9, 2012.

1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well I'm somewhat sad to say that I sold my '38 Buick last week. But then, somewhat unexpectedly, at the right time, for the right money, came the right car. I just rolled this into the empty space in the garage...

[​IMG]

Its a very complete, mostly stock, and mostly original '29 Phaeton. The older gentleman I bought it from completely restored the chassis and drivetrain, and it would seem that he then got bored of it. He mounted the body, threw some silly 1980's van seats in it, and started driving. The car's frame and running gear match, and the body is all there except the top and bows. I even got a metric-sh*t-load of spare parts and accessories in the deal, for far too-little money.

Well, to say the least, it sould be a great starting point for the late-forties rod I have been building in my head for years. The chassis and drivetrain is going to remain mostly stock, with only the addition of juice brakes. For now, I'm gonna just bolt-on some early speed goodies to the original matching A-Banger, but I'm planning on replacing the mill with something with a little more "pep", and a lot more obscurity, down the road.

Fenderless, dropped a little out back, and some more up front, with little-to-no rubber-rake. Tonneau-cover for the back, and something much more period-perfect to replace the seats.

This is my first A, and the oldest car I've owned to date, so I'll probably be asking a bunch of questions on here and around these parts. Please, stay tuned...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    dos zetas likes this.
  2. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Nice... lots of possibilities,What way are you going to take it? 40's style would that be Traditional?

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Very cool little ride. Good luck with it ! It needs some TLC...but, don't we all !:D

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks, I've got a lot of ideas rattling around in my brain, but major inspiration has been coming from Steve Beck's tub...

[​IMG]

I want a work-a-day rod that could've pulled dry-lake duty on the weekends. I know I want wires, and I know I want to go with a stock color scheme. Beyond that, there are just so many options...

6. That ol' girl hung on C/L off and on for quite awhile............apparently waiting for you to get your timing right. Sounds like a good plan you've got in mind.........look forward to seeing it on the road.

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Yep, she has been on the CL for a while. The price was pretty high in the ad, but oddly enough, when I took the time to go and talk to the ol' man in person, the price came down considerably, and the amount of stuff that came with it climbed too.

Apparently conversation isn't a lost art after all...

8. snot275

snot275

yup, that thing looks bitchin! I know an old guy down the road from me that has some banger stuff and a bunch of other random Model A parts. Not sure about speed equipment though...

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

End of day one update...

[​IMG]

...Fenders are off. And I dug some stuff out of my small stash:

[​IMG]

The headlamp is a BLC 904-A. I'm looking for its match, if anyone out there in the HAMB has one, let me know. I want to run a pair of these up front.

The cluster is out of a '34 Chevy Master, I've flipped over the gauges in the surround, except for the one that isn't installed. I'm going to have to modify the mounting ears on it to fit. I'm thinking of making an engine-turned face for the surround (I've got a sheet metal shop at work that I can use after-hours), and putting it in a '32 style dash, but made of a nice piece of wood. The little lady is going to school for Marine-Carpentry (wooden-boat building) so a lot of wood work may end up in this car...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Chris, sounds like I may need to hit him up. I've got the day off tomorrow, if you're free I may come pester you, or you can come down and check out the tub.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That just looks like fun. I think I'd almost like it better with the fenders on it and dropped like you plan though.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some days you just win one. And maybe he was looking for someone who planned to keep it and have fun with it rather than someone planning on flipping it.

13. snot275

snot275

I'm usually off around 530/6, so I should be able to stop by.
    For some reason I'm becoming kind of partial to model A's with splash guards... Crazy? I think not!

14. belair

belair

Gonna be really cool. I like your vision for the car. Are you keeping that bitchin firewall mounted gass tank, cause I have an old lawn mower...

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks guys. Nope, I'm not keeping the lawn-mower tank ;). The cowl tank leaks, but I can't quite figure from where yet. You put gas in it and the floor just gets wet. (Yes, I plugged the outlet hole). I'll probably pull it off the cowl and take it in to a radiator shop to see if they can pressure-test it and solder-up the offending hole or holes...

16. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, today was quite productive. First I got things sorted out down at the Dept of Licensing. The car is mine now. Then I spent some time sourcing parts from the HAMB, FordBarn, Mac's and Bert's Model A. Then I went and picked up a really nice set of '35 Wires with rubber on them from our very own Uncle Bob.

And most importantly I think I have a plan. While subject to change, here it is:

Stock Body with Hood
    No Fenders or Aprons (Subject to change)
    Fold-Down Windshield (Posts are on the way)
    '32 Commercial Grille (if/when I find a good one)
    '35 Wires, Black with Blackwalls (Thanks Uncle Bob)
    3 1/2" Drop Axle up-front
    Model-T Spring out-back
    '40 Juice Brakes all around
    Thorne Brown Paint
    Black Naugahyde Stock-ish Upholstery
    '32-ish Dash made of some sort of nice wood
    '34 Chevy Guages with an Engine-Turned Aluminum Panel
    Wood Door Panels, matching the dash
    1949 is going to be my parts cut-off, nothing modern unless absolutely necessary for safety

Motor wise, the Banger will stay around for a while, I just snagged an original Police "B" Head, and since I have a couple Stromberg 48's on the workbench, one of those will sit utop a downdraft manifold over the top of some flavor of headers.

As far as drivetrain, I want to keep it essentially stock, but I am very open to what I can do to make it more modern-road friendly. I've heard good things about high speed gears and '39 boxes, but I still need to research the ins-n-outs of this stuff...

Well, that's my vision. Lets see how long it takes to put it on the pavement.

(PS Uncle Bob: as promissed, I'll have pics of the wheels mounted in a bit)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  17. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

18. looks great so far! Steve's tub is one of my favorites! What is that dash panel out of?

19. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

man that thing is looking better and better with time I cant wait to see it all done

20. 28downunder

28downunder

Cool looking build, subscribed

21. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

22. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's really cool! I'm excited to see it around!

23. jr9162

jr9162

I like this but would use a 32 Ford repo frame, 32 gas tank, French flattie w/4" SCAT or Merc crank, Isky cam, 4 bbl carb, T5 or some other tranny, mated to banjo rear axle converted to open drive & 28 spline Ford axles w/modern juice brakes. Even a 40 Ford column with column shift tranny wldn't be bad. 16" 35 Ford or Kelsey Hayes wires. If you retain the Model A frame I suggest holding onto the fenders and running boards. Keeps the rain and road grime off you and the car body...

Congrats on the family car, and thanks on making the transfer of the Buick smooth and pleasant. :) John

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  24. Okay Evan, a little motivation for the day.....................

Attached Files:

25. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks Bob. Just got off a long shift so no work tonight. But I do have another parts run scheduled for tomorrow night.

And John, thanks again. I hope Sara and I did you right when you were down here. I wasn't really expecting to fill the Buick's hole in the garage so soon, but I'm stoked that I did.

A quick question for the HAMB experts: What head gasket should I be ordering for the High-Compression Police "B" head?

26. jr9162

jr9162

Evan, I had a good time. Thanks for the hospitality. Learned some Bimmer stuff too. Your dad did a good job!

27. Jenz38

Jenz38

Rainier,
    Congrats to the new Car.(Sorry i wasn't here for longer)
    A Pheaton,nice Idea.

(For the last Time i think about what is a "Bimmer" ?? now I know it ,after you pick up John with a Car like That ;-)..)

28. I love tubs too, my very first rod back in the 60s was a tub. I dig the way you're heading with it too.

29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks guys,

Jenz, here's my "Bimmer" as some folks over here call them (On-Topic Police, disregard the following)...
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

And to redeem myself for the last pic, here's all I really have to report on the tub...
    [​IMG]

...I'm starting to accumulate a pile of goodies that will end up going on the car between family and other holiday events. I just made a deal for paint and body work, but that's going to be in a while, or at least after it warms up a bit.