Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Mooneyes 2012 Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GassersGarage, Dec 9, 2012.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The wife and I headed to Mooneyes at 5:15 from Torrance. We stopped at Starbucks to get some oatmeal and coffee before hitting the freeway. Once on the freeway heading to Irwindale, the fog got thicker and thicker. At the 606 and Live Oak, we didn't see the ramp until we passed it. We kept going to the 210 freeway, where it was clear, bright and sunny. Got off the 210 and headed back into the fog. We had to watch the side of the freeway to find the start of the off ramp. Once at Mooneyes, we entered the maingate ( I thought it was the pre-registration gate). Turns out, the pre-registration gate was closed and everyone had to enter the maingate. Cars were parked all the way up to the maingate and I figured parking was going to be a pain......It was.

Not too many pictures but here's the first set:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

[​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

Those were the only pictures I took. The place was packed and I got tired of walking. The few I took were favorites. They used to have a pre-'65 cutoff but there were a lot of '70's cars and vans, a couple of new cars too.

4. great pics. we headed out at at 430 and the fog was ridiculous. we couldnt see 10 feet in front of us. one of our cars overheated on the freeway before we got there. another lost a belt for the water pump so we swapped the alt belt over to get us to the show. it was harder doing this in the cold fog but its part of the mooneyes story now.lol

5. i noticed the cutoff changed this year. i did see a lot of newer cars in there

6. lawman

lawman

GREAT pic's !!! Please keep posting.

7. Frapps

Frapps

My first time there, I was the designated car-pool-dummy. Awesome show, over 1200 cars preregistered and classic racing. Can't wait for next year, when I'll bring out the 55 Chevy Gasser.

The Rock-a-billie chicks were outstanding, wish I had not forgotten my camera.

Frapps
    Rosamond

8. exterminator

exterminator

Best show ever.Loved the drag racing.Highlights was the camaro crashing into the side of the track.Sad for the owner. Exterminator

9. the camaro crash was nasty! at least to me, ima chevy guy, and the camaro had the mustang beat until it regained control then the camaro lost it and hit the wall.. so sad

10. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

12. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Thanks for posting!

13. exterminator

exterminator

Yes it was sad but i think the camaro was not a total loss.My daughter could relate since her loser boyfriend (years ago ) messed her 67 camaro up.So sad.

14. Great photos,,this post proves you don't have to show off topic cars on the Hamb,,the OP'er knows what is except able and proves it! Thank you. HRP

15. The fog was insane, and because the 605 South exits were jacked up, we went way down to Irwindale Ave, and then on to Arrow Highway to get in. We got there at 8am and was told the show was 100% full and had to park in spectator parking. There were literally hundreds of bitchin' cars in the spectator parking, and once we got inside and saw a bunch of crappy newer cars sprinkled in with the old stuff, that really pissed me off. I still had a good time, but it seemed like the event was not well organized this year.

The event has gotten too big for Irwindale and needs to move to a larger facility like the California Speedway or the Fairplex. The event keeps getting bigger, and if it stays in Irwindale next year, you'll have to be in line at Midnight to get a spot.

16. tedster

tedster

Thanks for posting. Good stuff.

17. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Some good shots, keep them coming.

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The cut-off used to be '65.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

thats a shame with the 70s cars,but great pic's anyway

21. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Looks like there were some decent cars there.

22. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

It was great, but I have to agree, when we got there at 1000 these were a bunch of drunk guys acting like assholes- sheesh- the food was good and the beer lines were short- the racing was great and the girls were plentiful all in all it was a great show and I was also glad to see some pretty slick Falcons too

Attached Files:

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for posting the pics, looks like a fun time!

24. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Dig Groucho's vette.

25. c6_rob

c6_rob

I was there. Had a blast. Yea Irwindale has reached max capacity for sure.

26. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

Totally! Couldn't agree more. Vans suck and shouldn't be allowed at car shows.

Thanks again to Shige and everyone at Mooneyes for giving us a van section this year. It really livened up the show and help diversify the car scene here in Southern California a little bit. Bring on the later year cars. Leave things the same for too long and it gets stale. All the cars at the event were pretty amazing for one reason or another and this event has been one of the best since it started, but the whole attitude that one style of car is cool versus another is just lame closed minded meat head bull that should be swept under the rug. We were all into 32's and custom sleds for years before moving into what reminded us of our childhood which for some of us were the seventies. That era is coming around again largely with the help of the Vandoleros. Personally, I could do without as much rockabilly stuff at this show even though it has always been a prevailing theme. The vans didn't take up any more space than any one else so don't cry about it. I talked to more than a few people and overheard tons of conversations and know people were excited to see something new at this show. I've seen enough roadsters and customs in my life. I'm at a point where as much as I would love to have one, I just doesn't excite me anymore.
    Definitely a show that has outgrown the space and for good reason. it's one of if not the best one day shows in the world. Don't miss it next year!!!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  27. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Exactly my thoughts! The Fairplex would be perfect! I went to spectate yesterday, (first time since '99, usually I always have a car in the show), I got there shortly after 10 A.M. and the line to get into the speedway stretched as far back to where Live Oak Ave met with Longden Ave.... I ended up parking on Longden Ave near Myrtle Ave and walked by probably near a hundred cars idling on the street waiting to get in.

28. Man,there are a lot a pre 65 van owner/Hamber's here that won't agree with you! HRP

29. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Sorry to say I'm confused about which statement is yours.
    But I'd like to say the second half is well said.
    Vans, Wagons, VWs or any other cars that aren't your cup of tea are not only Not the problem, but they're helping to support these events.
    Let's bitch about the events with the $12.00 beers and $20 admissions and Chinese tool vendors instead.
    This show was $5.00 admission to look at a days worth of great cars and watch drag racing 20ft from the staging lights. No complaints here.

30. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

Dude, that part was sarcasm.
    I'm a van owner.