Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aurora Racetrack Layouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

2. Deuces

Deuces

So, who's getting a A/FX slot car set this Christmas??? :D

3. MilesM

MilesM

Just added four lane banked turns on one end on my layout. Might have to do the same on the other end!

4. Deuces

Deuces

It'll probably take me 3 hours to set up my track... 2 of those hours to clear off the table of all my modeling stuff.. :eek:

5. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Any of you guys ever have one of these matchbox sets? When I was a kid my dad was the manager of a Sears toy department (remember them?) so I had a crap load of hot wheels and matchbox, I could use either of those with this set, just stuck a pin on the bottom and away they went. Not very fast, but cool for a young guy. Set runs on a spring that goes through and around the slot, spring was moved thru slot by gears in a small gear house that had a motor attached to them, the controllers speed the gears up or down. My Mom still has this stored for me and it works.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8nSq1GX1Z8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

7. Deuces

Deuces

That time of year again.... :D

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I kept some of my cars from the Tyco sets I had when I was a kid, I have two flamed 1940 Ford coupes, two 1957 Chevy Bel Airs, the General Lee Dodge Charger (yee haw!!), Roscoe's Police Cruiser.

I should probably round up a track set so I can run some of these cars again, I bet my 2 year old would get a kick out of it.

9. Deuces

Deuces

It's nice to see that they have 7" and 9" single lane track pieces.....

10. Deuces

Deuces

I gotta itchy trigger finger and I'm dyin' to do some table top racin'..... (Que in the theme song for "The good.. The bad... And the ugly)
    Any takers???... :cool:

11. As if this entire post wasn't flashback enough..... Seeing this AW book, WOW.
    I think I still must have mine, stashed away in my magazine boxes.

I actually got my parents to stop at Auto World in Scranton, Pa. on the way to a Wash. DC summer vacation. I remember my Uncle saying Scranton was the biggest junkyard in America (not in a bad way) and looking out the window off his 68' Impala.... he was right. Great scenery.

Thanks Isettajohn, what great memories.

Howard

12. TIMES TWO brother!

What a cool thread!

Really takes me back.........the pic of the Autoworld catalog, etc, etc.

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread, it really puts me in the Christmas spirit to see this at this time of year! Had a lot of fun with model trains and slot cars during the winters back in the 70's

13. Deuces

Deuces

I stopped at Nankin Hardware on Ford Rd. in Westland Mi.
    They had 3 Tomy A/FX GIANT 62' foot track sets for sale... Tis the season... ;)

14. Some of you guys have posted pics of older (pre-AFX) cars I have never seen. What I haven't seen and does anyone remember "Oscar the Track Cleaner truck".
    Howard

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have HO and 1/32 scale tracks and would love to get them out again.

16. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

I had a buddy in high school, had a track setup in a spare bedroom, layout took up the whole room. It was a slotless track that when you flicked the switch on your control the car would change lanes. I remember one car that when you hit the switch it would go in reverse.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I also have the Ideal motorific cars and tracks which I also need to get out and see what I can do with them

18. Try again with a different photo...

[​IMG]

19. Deuces

Deuces

Now that I own a table top lathe, I was thinking about making my own aluminum wheels... :D
    Still need the threaded axles and jam nutz... :(

20. Deuces, I didn't have alot of money as a kid so I wound up making most things to go racing. I rewound my T-Jet motors by hand and sort of remember making some axels but that was about 45 years ago. I think the tap & die set I used was an 0-80 thread from what I recall.

21. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you John!!
    I do have that size jam nutz in my stash... I could just buy the axles on ebay... Well, the rears anyway.. Those are knurled(sp) for the driven gear...;)

22. Deuces

Deuces

Still need to buy some HSS tooling for the lathe yet.. :rolleyes::( $$$$

23. I Drag

I Drag

Ideal Motoriffic. Didnt think anyone but me knew about these.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry! Never heard of them...

25. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Nankin as always been the coolest Hobby/Hardware store.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Bought my last 1/8 scale model kit from them... The Monogram "BiG TuB"...

27. Now you got me digging in the basement :eek:. Here is some of the wire I used to wind my motors with. Also the very last clear plastic body car I was building at the time that was never finished. Time is taking a toll on it. I also have the unfinished brass tube chassis for it around here somewhere. I'll post a photo when it decides to surface again. I seem to have a black hole here that sucks up things for 10 years at a time. Still have some AW decals I posted earlier in this thread for anyone interested. (post # 166)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  28. Thanks John.
    I haven't seen one since some dirtbag broke into the barn and stole most on my childhood stuff back in the late 80's. Four lane track on plywood, all my cars and controllers, pre-unit Triumph stuff and my Schwinn Orange Grate. Dumb fuck left 3 factory Matchbox suitcases full of cars..... Who does this?
    Howard

29. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Still got my reed car!

30. Piewagn

Piewagn