Register now to get rid of these ads!

why is there so many basic mechanic questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eugene vik, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuces

Deuces

I never when to school for what I know... Had to learn on my own... Been certified since '86.. ;)

2. hd4unm

hd4unm

Just get under the hood, start somewhere. Lot's of good opinions here.

Being educated in old school mechanics and hot-rodding is a specialty. It all adds up to experience regardless how you get it. The first experience I can remember working on a car, was on my dad's 1964 327 chevy wagon. It was -20 degrees (ya minus - Minnesota don't cha know), snow on the ground, no garage, in the dark, and the starter was out.

Knowing nothing, I was in tow to hold the trouble light and pass wrenches. I'm guessing I was 8yrs old. You had to pay attention and participate because it was so fricking cold you want the job to be over fast. That was a bitch! Years later we rebuilt the engine on it and once I had a license it was the first vehicle I drove. Could beat my buddy with a 455 Olds most of the time.

That experience should have made any kid run away and never touch a vehicle again. I don't know what happened to me that night but 8 yrs later I had my first ride built by me. A '58 caddy, yanked a perfectly good 572 and dropped in a 427 SHP Vette tri-power, Gabriel-Hi-Jackers, and L60 tires on the rear. The shop at high school came in real handy.

As an artist I'm more visual and tactile. I'm a hands on guy. In those days I read very little. Now I read what I have to and usually after I somewhat understand what I need to know.

There's a saying I encountered during a stint in the eLearning biz over and over; "You don't know what you don't know".

So point is you have to ask something to start somewhere.

Now I'm off to the garage, I have heat now too, to try and remember some of what I'd already learned and forgotten. I have a new complete deluxe heater for my 59 Apache. Wish I was still smaller so I can fit under the dash easier.
    Maybe I should mentor a kid to do this phase for me. :D
    I'm thankful for beer!
    Dave

3. Deuces

Deuces

I think that's what happened.... Hahahaha... :D;)

4. Deuces

Deuces

Bingo! :D

5. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I want my near vision back..........

;)

6. hd4unm

hd4unm

Yah brother, that too!

7. BillWallace

BillWallace

Times change:Im in the very senior side of people on the HAMB. When I was young & asked questions Im sure there were plenty of folks that said the same about me (why didnt I just learn it like they did). I have many pictures from days gone by that I would love to post on this web site & photos of the Don Smith race car collection but I cant figure out( from the instructions} how to do it. I guess that just makes me lazy or not interested enough. Its easy to blame the young for not knowing what you take for granted but it cuts both ways.

8. 2935ford

2935ford

The whole point of the HAMB is sharing.....and that includes information.
    Why would we want to re-invent the wheel.
    Questions in a forum like this are natural, wanted and answers by those more knowledgeable than others are greatly appreciated.
    I don't know how many books you would have to buy, borrow or loan from the library to get as far as posting questions here?

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

Personally I don't mind the questions, except when someone askes something stupid like what color should I paint my car, or do these wheels and tires make it look better. I never read most of them, because I feel if they can't figure that much out for themselves, then they are truly lost. Then again, it's like reading a magazine where the proud owner shows off the car he had built in some garage. It's not my cup of tea.
    I will admit that I am largely self taught, and I do make a lot of mistakes sometimes. But at least most of the time, I do learn from them. And now here I am building an entire car from scratch. And having done what I have done, I probably would do somethings different if I were to do it again. So I am having an expensive education, you might say. The only real question is that being 61, will I still be driving long enough to need a next time?

10. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

1. "why is there so many basic mechanic questions"....looks to me that everyone here
    was able to figure that out for themselves without having to go to the web or a
    book....including the author.

2. Most people learn by watching....what we need is more u-tube videos (a source the current generation will use) by the people doing projects here. A book is only the author’s opinion as to how to do something, and I think we all know that isn't always the best way....depending on what tools you have.

3. I think there is a way to look at all of the questions and comments an individual has posted here….it is interesting to watch as someone learns. In many cases the student has become the teacher.

4. How many answers are there to a single question...in this case, 100 so far!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  11. Thank you.

I'm no fan of the current president, but I love something I saw on a placard from his campaign in 2008.

It said, "We are the one's we've been waiting for"

That's so true. If you want better youngsters asking better questions, quit your bitchin and find a place to plug in and help some youngsters. If you don't know where or how to plug in..PM me, I'll cover you up with recommendations.

12. fastlane666

fastlane666

well most mechanical questions are usually very simple to solve, a lot of folks tend to over complicate simple trouble shooting issues.i have a friend who is brilliant, but he's a mechanical idiot, he over complicates every single mechanical problem he finds he cannot keep it simple.I think it's funny with the un employment rate as high as it is that most of the trades are still plugging along. high school shop classes are non existent and guidance counselors are pushing kids towards white collar employment. my self, my dad taught me to weld when i was 8, he also taught me to rebuild drum brakes that same week. i started in the autobody business at age 10 now i'm 40. heres my point i had a high school guidance counselor who told me i "wouldn't amount to shit going to shop class and working on cars for a living!" Funny because i have a nice house and nice cars and a pretty wife. i think i amounted to a lot more than shit.

13. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

If anyone is remotely interested in cars we should promote and grow the hobby. Basic economic principle of supply and demand. I will help anyone I can young or old. The more people we bring into the hobby the longer it will live. More cars will be fixed and saved.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This thread reminds me of something that happened last night at my hangout. When I arrived, a friend said his wifes car had to be towed in because it broke down on her. It's a mid 50's Chevy convertable. Anyway, as people gathered each person had a cure. Problem was, none of the cures worked.

While taking a break to let the engine cool down (first thought was over heating), I couldn't help but laugh at the whole scene. 10 to 12 "car guys" not able to fix a car.:D

When the engine cooled down, everybody began to give out and try the common trouble shooting advise. Long story short, the timing was off. A slight turn of the dizzy solved the problem. The thing is, each person had a different skill level. Each person, more or less than the other.

So, while it may be frustrating when someone asks what might be common knowledge for you, the best thing you could do is share your wisdom. There are NO stupid questions.

15. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

well im glad im not the only one...

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

Umm, I thought the entire point of this was to help each other out and share our knowledge. Or we could all turn off our computers and start sitting by ourselves at night reading old books. I think I will keep the HAMB as I know it when I need a helping hand or I can help out someone else.

17. I couldn't get my Dalek working fer shit with this crappy manual. Damn near got exterminated!

Attached Files:

18. Same reason there are so many "show me pics of" posts.

19. The trades are dying for people in this area. Apparently Saskatchewan and Manitoba are in the same boat. Someone always needs work done and you can't fix your toilet with a computer in India.

20. afaulk

afaulk

One problem with asking questions on the internet, or even at your local drag strip is that a large percentage of the answers are wrong or at best incomplete. That includes on this forum. A person who is trying to learn about carbs for example might be wise to buy a book on his type of carb and learn at least the basics before asking questions. If you don't have a little knowledge, you don't know who to listen to. You get good info. and bad info. If you don't know who to listen to, you're a lot like a puppy chasing his tail. Learn the basics and a lot of your questions are answered already. Hang out and help out a little at just about any hotrodders shop and you'll get help when you need it.

21. Doesn't matter because they won't do a basic search.

22. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

Hey...I think I should weigh in here, after 30 years fixin cars for a living and paying young and old good wages to work for me I've learned some people are curious others just want their hot rod to magically get done. That part hasn't changed much, but what has changed is the number of young people interested in mechanical things, (I think there are too many other "fun" options) I have been looking for a mid to highly skilled mechanic for 2 months using methods I've used forever, news paper, tool truck guys, all vendors etc, plus newer methods such as Craigslist, monster, jobs.com, career builder. I've spent a lot of money but have only a handful of applicants, 1 actually owns tool! It is a good paying job with full benefits, but not much hope of filling it! With near 15% unemployment why would that be?

23. hd4unm

hd4unm

Takes a lot of balls or lack of something to walk into a shop with no tools. Maybe it was too little grey matter!

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life.

25. Can we all just get along.......

26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'm just happy people will come to me with their questions , no matter how basic or how often.

27. skwurl

skwurl

No matter how much you know about cars you will still get stumped. I have worked for a dealership or shop for 18 years and the one thing I have learned is you never stop learning.

28. BLAKE

BLAKE

This thread is funny. I think the original point was to express frustration with people who can't do basic tuning on carbs and such, at least relative to what most here learned to do back when they were kids. This is probably true, but for the obvious reason... kids today don't have to know these things to keep a car running. Modern, computer-controlled engines can use a single set of plugs for their entire effective life, and many of the necessary repairs are sensor-related in response to a trouble code proactively communicated to the driver.

Seems to me that anyone just now trying to learn to wrench on old carbureted machines should be praised for going out of their way to be interested in the 'old school' stuff... or, if we can't praise and support them, then at least don't mock them when they choose the alternate path of squeezing 350hp out of their import using nothing but their laptop.

29. BoB Beeman

BoB Beeman

What seems simple to you may seem like rocket science to someone with a learning dissablity or is a natruial born bad speller . I'v probably rebuilt more Cat engines then you'v seen but as you can see none of us know it all ,or are lazy .we honestly need help and advice . If it's too rough for you to answer a ??? or two you may be on the wrong website . We are here to help not to criticise . Hope this help's you out .
    Sencerly R .E. Beeman .

30. I come HAMB to learn from the very talented people here and who are willing to share their knowledge. Yeah, some things are easy and easily researched--other things not so much. I love it when several guys chime in and every one of them has some little thing to add that the other might have missed -- i.e. "... don't forget to install the flat edge down when putting it back in." Stuff like that--stuff that the drawings and books don't illustrate or explain. Also, some guys have spent years building a career and getting the resources so they can get into the hobby. They didn't spend 15 years in the garage. Not that they didn't want to--they just couldn't. Now they have time and resources. They got to start somewhere, and that somewhere is here lots of times. TM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.