Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Update on my '29 roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Dec 8, 2012.

1. kasultana

kasultana

Been a few months and John (mostly) and I (student) have made some progress. John came up with this slick steering gear. Schroeder was too expensive so....'66 Chevy C10 box (from my pickup parts box) and diesel engine connecting rod later. Check out rest of the pics on my profile. Car is getting there. Next is mock up of engine and trans. My 1st 8BA block was cracked beyond repair. So now 59A with T5 behind it will end up here. Tires/wheels due from Coker soon. Hope to have it rolling by Jan.

Attached Files:

2. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

Looking really good! Nice repurpose of the connecting rod too. Do you have a build thread on here? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing some more progress.

3. kasultana

kasultana

I'm trying to add pics to album in my profile. I've got a few all the way thru so far. Thanks for reply.

4. kasultana

kasultana

A few new pictures - motor nearly mocked up fully and pedal assembly in place now.

Attached Files:

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's looking to be a beaut! Way to use your heads on the steering set-up.

6. brady1929

brady1929

beautiful. what brake drums are those on the front?

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love '29 roadsters. Good lookin' pitman arm. And the body looks solid as a rock...is it original? Brookville? And what kind of brakes are those? The drums look big...Lincoln repros? Looks like it's gonna be looooooow.

8. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks it was donated from a box of c10 chevy parts from my truck. Works well so might be start of something for future builds.

9. kasultana

kasultana

12x2 brakes early ford repo. You are right on the stance oil pan off the ground a few inches. Tires due early Jan so hope to get it rolling soon. The body is brookville. I'm looking for original for the next one. It will sit on the roller in other pictures. That one will have as many original parts as I can find on it.

Thanks

10. zander208

zander208

Great build! I dig the connecting rod.

11. Super nice job on the cowl steer. Can I ask what size tube you used and will it get any more bracing?

Clean.

12. greaser

greaser

Sa-weet. You have my attention.

13. kasultana

kasultana

Crminal I'll take a few more pics for you and send. The steering box is set on bracing tied to frame. Think it's 1.5" square tubing. Plate welded where the box sits. Tube to steering is 3/4" steel to match wheel hub, tube out to the connecting rod is 1.5 or 2" just need to check.

We'll get a chance to test it soon when tires arrive

Thanks all for the comments

14. Thanks! Appreciated. Such a great detail in a car.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Has that box been reversed to mount like that for the cowl steering ?

16. kasultana

kasultana

Correct. We were going to originally use a covair box but liked the look of the cowl steer much better and cleans up the engine bay. So we started looking for alternatives. John came up with this idea after seeing the Schroeder steering gears and it was basically labor and a few parts since we had an extra rebuildable box from my truck. Slave cylinders are off old NASCAR's - Girling. He races/restores vintage NASCAR's as well.

17. Very nice project. Might want to think about a skid plate if your car is that low. Ask me how I know. And mine is not that low. Nothing worse that being hours away from home with a cracked oil pan leaking out in a parking lot and having to try and fix it. Looks like a quality build. I know you have some money in those Lincoln brakes. They are nice huh? I have them going on my 34 in front. I will be watching this. Would be great if you started a dedicated build thread.

18. Drivinford

Drivinford

Wow what a nice build

19. kasultana

kasultana

Crminal here's a few more photos of the steering. Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I think I will see about the skid plate. It won't be long before its on the ground and we can see about ground clearance. The last few pics are of the mockup on mechanical fan. Bracket/pulley from a model T. Cut down fan.

Attached Files:

20. Drivinford

Drivinford

I really like this thing

21. Thanks. This car is coming along nicely.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. kasultana

kasultana

Been making progress on the roadster but got distracted this week by the sprint car. Here's a few pictures and one of another flathead we started putting back together. It has NOS Canadian heads and was a NOS 0.060 over Ford short block never been fired. Its for the rolling frame that's in my avatar. Need to do some finishing work on the hood but on to the tunnel/floor panels. Going with T5 with shifter at back of the tail stock.

Attached Files:

23. Aviator

Aviator

What gas tank are you using? Details please.

24. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Looks Great, nice build!

25. kasultana

kasultana

Body almost ready for color. Cars going to be monsoon maroon. Color starts next week.Frame/suspension back from painter.

Attached Files:

26. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

looks great! keep the updates coming.

27. kasultana

kasultana

Here's a shot of the frame. Long weekend might get some re-assembly done

Attached Files:

28. nice roadster build with all the right pieces! :cool:

29. Beautiful work - keep it coming!