Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Hearse followed me home.... But I'm going to be ok !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t6ford, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Wednesday last my friend Brian and I hit the road at 5am and drove 5 hours to
    go check out some parts and vehicles for sale as part of a deceased estate .
    We came home on Wednesday with a bunch of Flathead engine parts and other driveline parts. I snapped a few Photos of this '51 Ford hearse which was also available and showed them to my wife (Michelle) on wednesday evening when we got home .
    Michelle has always liked Shoeboxes and has always been a longroof fan , having had a '63 Impala wagon in the past and a '55 Ranchwagon currently . So it was no surprise when she said " I like that!" .
    So yesterday was another early morning road trip to bring it home .

It is a fairly dry car with only one or two minor rust issues , has 40,000 miles on it.
    Plan is to make it tidy and presentable and Michelle will have it as her daily....

Photos snapped on Wednesday , will add more from today this afternoon .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan for today is to get it running and go for a sneaky drive up the road . I'll update this evening .

2. I like that a lot. Looking forward to hearing that you got it running today

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. henry29

henry29

Never seen one of those before.

4. What the hell is that?!?! :eek:

Never mind..... just CHOP IT!!!! ;)

5. I've never seen anything like it. Was it a hearse or a coroners car?

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats as cool as all get out , post some pics as you freshen it up ,

7. Cool score. Looks like 42-48 tudor sedan rear roof section grafted onto it? Any signs of the body work? Will be a great hauler.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking car , haven't seen one like that. Did the casket slide under the rear window with the trunk lid up ?

9. What sucks is that you guys overseas get all the wildly cool factory cars that we never see.

10. Holy cow! I LOVE 50 Ford's (obviously) and NEVER knew that one existed!

11. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dunno what is is, but theres no way to get a casket in that shoebox. Trunk is too small, and those are not suicide doors. I also see a parcel shelf under the rear window which would indicate a rear seat?

Should be a really unique ride when done tho.

12. WOW that's wild. Chop it? wonder what the production numbers are on that puppy.

13. Nope. I don't think that's a hearse...although I don't know what it is, except that it's cool as hell.

14. It's a hearse........................

For short people! ;) :D

15. It is cool as hell but I'm not sure about being a hearse. The rear opening is to small for a casket to go in and clear the rear drive axle hump. I'm thinking either a coroners car or a funeral home call car. Call cars usually involve just a gurney and a body bag. Not a big ol' casket. Or maybe its the flower car. Cool commercial chassis ride what ever it is>

16. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Thats a great find, have allways been a little obsessed with hearses

17. kennkat

kennkat

:eek: That's Bitchin! :D:D:D

18. edweird

edweird

cant say i remember seeing anything quite like that, its cool !

19. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

It's different, real different.

20. Yes , you are correct

Definately a hearse , as mentioned above caskets rolls in below rear window . Rollers etc are still fitted . Photos soon !

Thanks , it's going to get a tidy up ( not tearing it apart for a resto ) a set of reversed wheels with a mild lowering job and then it'll be my wife's daily .

UPDATE! car is still 6volt so I bypassed the stock loom , swapped wires over at coil and dropped a 12volt battery in it . Lawnmower gas can on the passenger front floor ... dozen revolutions on the starter and my wife has just been for a drive around the block ! Can't get the stupid grins off our faces !

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  21. Cruiser

Cruiser

It may not be a Hearst at all, but a flower car for funerals. Glad, you pick it up a most unusable car.

CRUISER :cool:

22. No its a hearse.... One of these was in a garage of an old now gone forever junk yard in the hills of virginia It had that( ride in the big black cat and won't be coming back) but this was a crusher. back before junk went up. crushed before anyone could save it. Isn't there a 57 chevy hearse floating around on a forum???

23. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thats Different... Pretty neat looking though..

24. Scumdog

Scumdog

There use to another one down in Invercargill in the late 80's, had a 460 Ford in it and was regularly tearing down the 1/4 mile at Teretonga.

I think the body was taken off the chassis, don't know where it is.

25. That damn thing is cool!!

26. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

That's very cool. Regardless of what it is.

27. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Are my eyes messed up or is it right hand drive?

28. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

when you see the hearse go by you will know that its time to die the worms crawl in the worms crawl out they eat your guts then they spit em out . hearses always freak me out,but i am digin it,would make one bad ass ride.