Register now to get rid of these ads!

6" drop axle.. where to buy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonechip67, Dec 8, 2012.

1. bonechip67

bonechip67

Anybody know who makes a 6" I beam drop axle??

2. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

z your frame, 6in drop axle is a lil much!

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Think about a 6 inch, you have no scrub line? When I built my last deuce roadster I kicked the rear up 3 inch's and Z,d the front 3 inch's along with a CE 4 inch axle, Posie super low R&T spring, flat front cross member with 500/16 front and 750/16 rear tires. Sat low and was safe!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    olscrounger likes this.
  4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If your asking about an axle (alone) that will lower 6” ? ….. there is no such thing you can just buy.

5. Maybe he is running super tall tires???

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. What kind of car or truck are you planning on using a 6" dropped axle under? HRP

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

This is for comparison … it’s a true 4 inch dropped 34 axle and its ridicules.
    [​IMG]

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

4" is more than than it seems............... May want to rethink that 6" idea.....

4TTRUK

9. dad-bud

dad-bud

You can go too low, and 6" sounds too far.
    The height of the tyres isn't the only issue - you need wheels of sufficient diameter that if you get a flat, the axle won't scrape on the road.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

plus setting up steering, alignment, etc will be very interesting

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Also think how low the back of your wishbones or hairpins will be to get any caster dialed in to that front end. They would be scraping the ground. :eek:

Don

12. bonechip67

bonechip67

I know they make a 6" tube, but looking for an I beam. I found 5" but no 6", Running 6.5 Z in the front, axle under frame, spring on top, with 18" rims and 29.5 tall tires. Just looking to get another 2" for appearance and don't want to start all over from scratch with changing to an axle behind.

13. bonechip67

bonechip67

I have 8" of clearance from center bottom of axle to ground with a 4" drop axle.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where are you going to put the tie rod? Do you know what Ackerman Angle means? What is going to happen WHEN you get a flat tire?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, and if you managed to get a 6" drop axle, you'd have 6" of clearance.

Your wheels have a radius of 9".

One flat, and you're dead.:eek:

16. bonechip67

bonechip67

The tire has 7" of sidewall. Even if I get a flat, you would still have 3" or so of sidewall that would be holding axle from hitting ground.

17. Am I the only one wanting to see a pic of this?

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever roll a tire off a rim? I see it daily, on the freeway (and all of those vehicles are equipped with wheels with safety beads). Do your wheels have safety beads? If they don't, it is even MORE likely that you will, in the event of a flat.

Remember, the chances you take on the road put more than just you at risk.

19. N8B

N8B

Probably. :eek: :D

20. kennkat

kennkat

All in all, there is a REASON some parts are not commonly used, IF available even... Because they are just plain wrong, incorrect, unsafe, etc.. :eek: Do Not try to go too far.... Unless it is a "trailer queen" and you do not care about the little shit like, comfort, safety, ease of construction and repair....:D Just my opinion after more than 38 years of doing this Hot Rod Building thing for a living...:D

21. kennkat

kennkat

YES! Look at that thing :eek::eek::eek: How could you ever want this, let alone MORE??:eek::eek::eek:. oh maybe it's just me...:)

22. bonechip67

bonechip67

Hey, if they don't make one, I will adapt and find another way to make it look the way I want. No, not a trailer queen and definitely safe. Guess I should have built it with the axle out front, but was wanting to retain some of the original car looks with the axle under and the horns on the front.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still, where are you going to put the tie rod?

24. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

My understanding is there is too much twist, for lack of a proper engineering word, on that much of a drop

25. While I also think a 6" drop axle would not be feasible for many reasons, I wonder about the scrub line math in some of the comments.

My stock '35 axle running with 5:60x15's has 7-1/2" ground clearance, if I replaced that with a normal 4" dropped axle, the ground clearance would drop to 5". Even if one of the tires came off the wheel, It would ride on the rim and still have adequate ground clearance.

26. bonechip67

bonechip67

296, Thats more than a 4" drop, more like 7 or 8"

Ginpy, I would have to heat and bend steering arm off of the box approx 1", the rod itself would be fine.

Rich, Speedway sells a 6" tube axle so I dont understand why everyone says they are so unsafe. I too dont understand about the scrub. With and 18" wheel I would think it would ride on the rim before the axle would hit.

Thanks for all the input guys

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I made that axle for a customer.
    That is a real 4” drop 34 axle ….. If you put that in a 32 to 36 ford it would sit 4 inchs lower.

The axles you buy at the store don’t lower by the amount there name implies.

28. bonechip67

bonechip67

So maybe im looking for a TRUE 4" rather than a 6"? I have a Superbell 4" now..

29. If this is the project in question, your body looks like it's already below the scrub line by a fair margin...18" wheels wouldn't change that.

[​IMG]

30. Frenchie  1

Frenchie 1
    from Colorado

I have tube drop axles 6",4",2",and straight, $200 each + shipping