Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Managed to sort my dizzy to blower clearance problem, made up a 3/4" spacer plate from a chunk of 3/4" aluminium plate. Allan is kindly milling the hole in it for me :thanks: Al

[​IMG]

Another job i had to do was sort out the blower drive, The blower I have was for a SBC so some bits are not gonna work with the Cadillac, first to get modified was the crank blower hub, the vee belt drive was on the front of the hub between it and the blower pulley, this was too far forward for my needs so the vee pulley was bored out on the lathe to bolt to the rear of the crank hub, then the hub was drilled from the rear to take the pulley bolts, this places the vee pulley close to the block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving on to the top pulley clearance for the blower belt to the water pump was a problem, looked at this several times without coming up with a easy fix, The solution was to go with an Electric water pump, this would also enable me to lose the pump completely and shed a few pounds as well :D
    I sell the Davies Craig electric water pumps so seemed obvious to use this setup as I know they work and are reliable, They come with a digital control box that lets you tailor the pumps workings to your own requirements, It can also be set to run after the engine is switched off to avoid heatsoak.

Normally the pump would be left in place but the impellor removed so the pump ends up as just a transfer station for the water, the thermostat is removed and replaced by a sender that is hooked to the digital controller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously removing the pump meant some pipework had to be made up, firstly flanges were cut from 1/4" stainless plate.

[​IMG]

Next the feed pipe from the pump was made from some 1.5" stainless bends and welded into the left flange.

[​IMG]

Heres the completed pipework, The blue -10 fitting is the thermostat bypass and is piped back to enter the system before the pump, It enters the bottom hose via this adaptor. Clearance on the blower belt is tight buts its just enough :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job is to sort out the short blower snout & top pulley.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. n847

n847

Thats a pretty wild set up! Looks great!

3. 1932roadster

1932roadster

You Sir, are a very skilled craftsman that maintains your attention to detail throughout the entire build! Always a pleasure reading your detailed builds here on the H.A.M.B.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Better than the big ugly original pump I reckon.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you, appreciate the kind comment, glad your enjoying the ride so far.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi again Langy.Love the fab work as usual.Just wondering what treatment is in store for the pitted area of the block where the old water pump was located.
    Was wondering why you did`nt make a plate incorporating the two flanges that followed the contours of the water pump to cover the pitted area.Then counter sink for the fasteners with perhaps allen or star type heads where the old water pump attached.But all in all a superb build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The engine your seeing it mocked up on is the Cadillac for my 26T project, The Willys motor has a stainless steel timing cover, The pitting on the 26T motor is covered by the water pump. Sorry for any confusion.

[​IMG]

9. Steve,I just got caught up with the build about 4 pages back,,your attention to detail is nothing short of amazing,,just like your roadster! HRP

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks HRP, I just try and do the best job I can mate.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Managed to get another pesky job off the list :D

My mate Allan milled my spacer plate for me which saved a bundle of time, cheers Allan.

[​IMG]

Once I had the spacer plate it enabled me to setup the blower drive, The bottom pulley had already been sorted which just left the top puley, a straight edge was put on the bottom pulley and I found that the top pulley was 2.250" away from the existing snout flange, the solution was to turn up a 2.250" aluminium hub spacer on the lathe, While i was there I drilled and tapped a centre hole to accept an old 1/2" UNF 12 point ARP bolt to make turning it over easier.
    I then drilled and tapped 6 holes 3/8" UNC as I intended to bolt the hub to the flange and then bolt the pulley to the hub, changed my mind in the end and finally used 6 x 3/8" x 3.5" UNC bolts through the complete assembly. The hub is a press fit into the pulley, Pics explain it better than I can write :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God I love watching you pros work! Or rather, the fruits of your labours.

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude

......... ...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Langy.Thanks for the info.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. cool way to do that - the bolt in the centre to turn it over looks cool and beats trying to broach a square hole in the end.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I thought the very same mate, cheers for the positives.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Closer every day, Steve, closer every day. :D

Don

19. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Love the progress on your Blown Caddy. Bet it will be one mean mill ! ! !.

Looking forward to any eng runs you may post video of.

Dave

20. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don was wondering where you have been ? Turkey run i guess ???

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave, how ya doing mate, Yeah i'm looking forward to those video's too :D

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Finally got my blower drive completely sorted. I wanted a nostalgia idler pulley arm, the type that clamps around the snout, The original bracket type idler arm was real ugly, had a look around the net and was horrified at the prices :eek: upwards of $140 for a decent one !!! There were lots of thinner ones for cheap money but I wanted a minimum of 1 inch thick.
    Luckily my mate Paul found some 1" aluminium plate at work so I decided to make my own, found a website with dimensions on it so marked out the plate and popped to my mates to use the Bridgeport mill.
    Took about 3 hrs to make up but well worth the effort.

[​IMG]

Once home again I sparked up the polisher and gave it a good going over, luckily the aluminium plate was real good quality so it only took about 45 mins to get a nice shine on it.

[​IMG]

All I need now is a belt and that's another job struck off the list :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My electronic speedo turned up so finish wiring the dash could be ticked off the list too :D
    I only had mechanical speedo kits in stock so had to wait for one to arrive.
    The dash is easily removed by undoing 5 x 6mm button head bolts, the dash is wired through 3 x 6 way waterproof plugs & sockets so can be pulled out in a few minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We're back. :D Just laying a little low until we get Christmas out of the way. All 3 of us got colds from driving around in 40 ish degree weather at night in Daytona, and I'm surviving on Nyquil right now. Hope you and Sue have a nice Holiday.

Don

26. farmer12

farmer12

X2! Great stuff Steve!

27. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

looks amazing steve =)

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

See chilly evenings and old people don't mix, hahaha, hope you feel better soon mate

................. ...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Hey steve - what is the black bracket hangin' on the front of the blower for?

30. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Hey looking great Steve. You know how long the belt needs to be yet?