Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Standard Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I'm starting off a build thread for our recently acquired V8-60 '40 standard tudor. For some history on it....it was purchased new in Lebanon, OH at Wharton Motors and was passed down through the family for three generations and 68 years. The last service tag on the door jam is dated in 1958 for a tune up and chassis lubrication. Dick Spadaro bought the car from the family a few years back, and we got it from him. It's currently shy of 53,000 miles. The car is completely original and untouched for the exception of a passenger tail light that was added for safety by the first owners. Being a V8-60, the car was equipped with some cool parts like a tube axle, and 16x3.5" wheels.

The car won't be changed too much. It has a Stewart Warner South-Wind heater in it, that seems to work, so I won't need to install a hot water heater. The V8-60 engine, which runs well for what it is, is coming out for an 85hp engine to replace it. Mike Herman at H&H is currently building an identical engine to what is in my roadster - 284ci motor that makes 195hp. I'll be adding some sort of post transmission overdrive too. I'm hoping that I'll have enough floor clearance to use a Mitchell overdrive in the torque tube. If there isn't enough room, I don't want to cut to the floor so I'll save up for a Columbia.

As for the suspension, the front is getting a dropped axle, and a custom spring from Eaton Detroit Springs to help get the car lower to the ground. On the rear, I'll have Eaton reverse the eyes and de-arch the spring. I bought Chassis Engineering shock mounts, shocks, and roll bars as well. The car currently has the stock tire size of 5.50-16. I'm going down to a 5.00/5.25-16 on the front, and a 6.50-16 on the rear to add a little rubber rake too.

Hopefully this week, I'll get the front sheet metal off and the engine pulled to kick off the work. Look out for more to come, and maybe a time lapsed video like the one we did on the tudor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Good looking car and a great plan,,I'll be following along. HRP

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. Felix 40

Felix 40
    from Wisconsin

Gotta Love a 40 Sedan! Its hard to believe Ford would install the 60hp's in such a heavy car. Your car looks really nice and solid too. Hope to see pics of your progress! Great Car!

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looks like a nice clean start,be watching your progress...

5. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

I love it........ a 40 standard for me all the way..cool car......

6. 343w

343w

Nice 40 model, I built a ground up tudor back in 1975, I'm on board with you on this one.

7. cakes

cakes

I see one hell of a bootlegger style hotrod in your future, I love all the of the black trim

8. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Wow , Congrats, very similar to mine!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Labold

Labold

Great find. I love those 40 Sedans!

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Wow, that thing is nice. I love survivors like this one. Really funny how they had to move the radiator that far back for the 60 HP motor.

Don

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

great looking car, original paint? should be a fun project. am I wrong or do the 60hp cars have 4.44 gears in the rear end?

12. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Cory, you titled this thread incorrectly, it should be: "Neighborhood Alert!, Local Hot Rodder Molests 72 year old Virgin, more breaking News to follow." Hope you like the car. DS

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Cory, you got the best of both worlds with the Deuce and the Forty sedan. The hot flat motor should wake up the neighbors. Dick always finds the cool cars.

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice looking 40 sedan

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed, beautiful car!

16. 4tford

4tford

looking forward to the build progress. Have a 40 std myself.

17. I love a nice original car! My 40 standard Tudor is original, but not nice. This will be inspiration for my build.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. brady1929

brady1929

19. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It does have a 4.44 gear in it. I'm going to change it to something much higher for the new motor.

I don't know Dick....I think the neighbors already think poorly of us with a loud roadster.....let alone a headline like that!

The car is perfect.

20. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Good looking 40 Ford go with the Mitchel Overdrive I have one in my 40 Ford stock Flat Head makes it a great Driver PM me for my phone number if you want to ask ques

Attached Files:

21. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Is it OK that I'm a little uncomfortable in my pants now?

22. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Subscribed,Just picked up a 48 coupe, going for the same look! Lucky

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

quick update:

The front sheet metal is off. I left the hood on because this is one of the few '40s where the hood and trim lined up perfect. The radiator, engine, and transmission are out of the car now, and I should have the springs out today. Eaton will be reworking the springs to help get the car lower.

More to come.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. dad-bud

dad-bud

Cory, that is one great looking car to start a build with.
    I imagine we will all be agog as we watch you craft another jewel from a piece of raw gold.
    Keep those posts coming - thanks.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the rate things are going Cory, you'll be famous in no time! 2 months in a row. Pretty cool.:cool:

26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Great car to start with---the purists are gonna freak.

27. lawman

lawman

You have a very nice start and plan.

28. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

did I do something bad?

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Great looking sedan,i tend to like the standard 40s over the deluxe model,just something about them ! Lucky you and enjoy. JW :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012