Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. weez

weez

Harry Bradley told me he used ride to school in Thornburg's Stude-

2. Rikster

Rikster

John has a LOT of photos of this car and his others on his Facebook.

Check them out HERE... not sure if they are public folders though.

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

Sorry dude, but the box doesn't fit. Cool car though.

4. kristoph

kristoph

Thank you Rik. Unfortunately it's not a public folder.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Time to sign up for Facebook I guess.

HERE is a folder on my site... but its not up to date. I still need to add more recent photos of the car.

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sometimes I think they are sitting to low!!!!!!!!!

I love the cars but just not sitting to low. Must be me Jimbo

7. kristoph

kristoph

I'm an idiot. When it comes to find pics of cool cars, you have them!!! I have to email you for several things.

Thanks again, the more i look at these pics the more i'm in love with it !!!!

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Deron Wright's 41. Its green too no? long time no see for some reason i seemed to remember it was a 40 too. Now that you say it thou i had a picture prior to the custom grille when it was gold-ish with stock front end.

9. DjNeil

DjNeil

I built this after seeing the Hirohata Merc in Rod and Custom
    [​IMG]

Rathbone likes this.
  10. DjNeil

DjNeil

Maybe the caddy hubcaps and I hadn't fitted the windscreen trim means it is post 52 in looks

11. Very nice, Dj; really like the "hardtop" window treatment; well chopped!

12. I always liked that car Dj. Beautiful thing.

13. Squablow

Squablow

Well, my new springs are in, but I feel like it's not low enough yet. Surprising, as the difference in height of the springs without a load on them was probably 5 or 6 inches. It does have a nice slight rake toward the rear, I'm happy with that, but I feel like the whole thing could come down another 2 inches. This shadowy pic doesn't help much either, but I'm open to opinions.

Not trying to make it look "slammed", just trying to make it look like it would have had it been built around 1950.

[​IMG]

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

WOW!!! That is one of the best styled 51's I have seen. Beautiful!

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I think lowering is another 2 inches all around would be good, while keeping that slight taildragger stance.

I like your car a lot, its got tons of potential to become a great custom, and looks great as is. What are your plans?

16. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks! I've been following your Chevy pretty closely as well, they are similar cars and I love what you've done with it so far. The smashed tilt column was priceless!

As for plans, I want to keep it all old school taildragger. You know, bags, s-10 frame, red 8" wide rally wheels, flaked roof, bomber seats, an LS motor, pinstriped skulls and spider webs, that kind of stuff.

Just kidding. Actually, the car already has a '50 Olds motor and trans swapped in, so that'll stay, and we've got a plan on how to get another 2 to 3 inches of drop out of the springs, so that's next. Once it leaves my buddy Tim's shop, it should be totally mechanically functional.

Then, over the winter, my plans are

-Fix the floors and some bad rust areas on the front fenders
    -White pleated vinyl door panels and upholstery over original seats (doing it myself, won't be super fancy but should look nice.)
    -Restore stock '47 steering wheel
    -install Appleton 112's (completed my set today! Awaiting a package with the last pieces!)
    -finish and install fender skirts which are homemade from a '56 Chevy roof skin
    -some kind of hubcaps on the 15" wheels (maybe '50 Olds, maybe Lyons if they'll clear my skirts in the rear, maybe single bar flippers, although the smooth one piece ones that I have may not be period correct?)
    -Has bias WWW's on it now, but they're old, so may have to buy some new ones, depending on budget.
    -shave the door handles, door locks, trunk emblem, trunk handle, hood emblem and front hood seam, and the tail lights
    -french the headlights
    -mount the rear bumper on the front (smooth) and the front on the rear (with license surround) so I can relocate my plate to the bumper and use the parking lights in the bumper guards as tail lights

Then, depending on how far along I am come spring time, I'll have to decide what to do with the paint. It currently wears a very old olive green repaint, with molded rear fenders and stone guards removed.

Part of me wants to just paint the skirts and blend in over my repairs and bodywork and buff the whole thing out and run it with the majority of it's old custom paint intact, but part of me thinks the paint is too far shot and the whole car should be repainted.

I'll probably at least take a shot at rescuing the old paint and see how it turns out, I could run it like that with the old chrome on it and it'd at least look all cohesive. There won't be any rust on it so it won't really hurt anything that way.

If it ends up looking like a well worn but still preserved old custom car, then I'll keep it like that. If it ends up looking rough or intentionally ratty, then I'll have to take it to the next level. Either way, I'll post pics as I go.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  17. Squablow

Squablow

James D was kind enough to do this photoshop for me a couple months ago.

At the time, I hadn't planned to shave the door handles and some of the other trims, but I've decided that those are must-do mods to really get the tail dragger look.

[​IMG]

18. :eek:

-Dave

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

57 Cadillac hubcaps and lancer caps don't fit the 48-52 era thread!

Cmon guys its all about the details.

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Cool man. I can't wait to see some updates. I like where you're going with it. My cars having clutch troubles so I haven't been able to do anything cosmetic on it. Soon though... :)

21. VonKool13

VonKool13

Sometimes people don't read the threads they are posting on, at least they are good looking cars.

22. Squablow

Squablow

This shoebox was posted in the "Kustoms" thread, hopefully the pics will transfer. Owned and built by HAMBer Fredrik49. Beautiful stance, love the spots and the shortened side trim. And I think this particular car really works without the bumper guards. Maybe we can get him to chime in on this thread to hear more about the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Re: Kustoms.
    <hr style="color:#e5e5e5; background-color:#e5e5e5" size="1"> Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Rikster [​IMG]
    WOW.... Very nice Fredrik.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by straykatkustoms [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Great picture right here.I really like this car a lot.

24. speters

speters

Photoshop rendering of where I am headed with my 48 Pontiac. (Imagine it with full caps, no fog lights and no bumper wings)
    [​IMG]

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very nice and looks very streamline. Maybe someone will help on the photoshop.

26. speters

speters

Thanks this is already photoshopped a ton. Changing the chrome in photoshop is damn near impossible. I could have done the wheels but I got lazy

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Agreed....I have seen magic though here? Nice car

28. i do have to say i love this thread.
    i have spent the last few years carefully picking parts for my 36 pontiac three window build.
    to me this style of custom is the end all and be all of class and timelessness.
    thank you to those who build these cars with so much effort put into every detail.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  29. Yaril

Yaril

i worked on one not to long ago... not really kustom but maybe it will help you as a reference.

http://www.yarilswork.com/html/gallery.php?gallery=119

Attached Files: